2019 marquette flavor

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood1954

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ended up with 4 gallons of wine from my and this year. I recently racked off the fine lees for long term storage and tasted some of it, it seemed very tasteless I was hoping for much better as I picked only good sound grapes. technically I did everything right, I'm just sad that I put so much time and money into a vineyard that makes tasteless wine. could it be that most of the vines are 3 years old? the avante yeast? How did other Marquette growers do ?

It's too early to get depressed over the flavor. Give it a year. By the time of your next harvest, you should have a better idea of what Marquette wine taste like. You can then make technique or component changes with the new harvest to correct any expectation deficiency. If you can declare this year's wine to be at least an everyday table wine, the time and effort you put into making it is justified.

When I first started out, I often thought my most recent wine batches were failures. Over the ensuing year of tastings, I became increasingly surprised at how good the wine was getting.

I’m planting Marquette this Spring. I understand it is a big red that ages and oaks well. Give it oak and time. It is supposed to be a good to great cellar wine.

I just planted my Marquette in May of 2019. It was a bit of a gamble, since I don't know anyone locally who's growing them.
A couple of weeks ago, a friend had to make an emergency visit to Michigan. When he cleared quarantine, he gifted me with a bottle of Marquette.
Now, I can't wait for next year!

My 2018 just started making me really happy around April of this year. Two vintages in, I'm finding about the 1 1/2 year mark is time to starting drinking it. I never made wine until I grew my own Marquette, and I was elated/heartbroken, rinse, repeat for the whole first year and half. Fantastic fruit, then no flavor, then sour, back to no flavor, etc. Every little thing seems to make it angry. Racking, adding oak staves, removing oak staves, it reacts badly at first then settles down.

I just planted my Marquette in May of 2019. It was a bit of a gamble, since I don't know anyone locally who's growing them.
A couple of weeks ago, a friend had to make an emergency visit to Michigan. When he cleared quarantine, he gifted me with a bottle of Marquette.
Now, I can't wait for next year!
I’m not sure what part of the state you’re in, but I’m up in Northern Virginia and, like you, planted Marquette in May of last year. I did it to replace some of my Cabernet Franc vines with something more disease resistant. I’m letting some of the more vigorous vines ripen a few clusters this year so I’m keen to see how things develop (veraison started this week). I’ll be interested to hear how things turn out for you in your part of the state. BBD2741F-AAD7-4300-AC9A-77C4BE4F39F4.jpeg

My 2018 just started making me really happy around April of this year. Two vintages in, I'm finding about the 1 1/2 year mark is time to starting drinking it. I never made wine until I grew my own Marquette, and I was elated/heartbroken, rinse, repeat for the whole first year and half. Fantastic fruit, then no flavor, then sour, back to no flavor, etc. Every little thing seems to make it angry. Racking, adding oak staves, removing oak staves, it reacts badly at first then settles down.
I agree I had a bottle of 2018 recently and it was pretty good. being in northern Wisconsin I need to reduce the acid more. I think 2-3 years aging would be the sweet spot.

Back