2019 marquette flavor

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

wood1954

Reaction score
I ended up with 4 gallons of wine from my and this year. I recently racked off the fine lees for long term storage and tasted some of it, it seemed very tasteless I was hoping for much better as I picked only good sound grapes. technically I did everything right, I'm just sad that I put so much time and money into a vineyard that makes tasteless wine. could it be that most of the vines are 3 years old? the avante yeast? How did other Marquette growers do ?

rustbucket

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
It's too early to get depressed over the flavor. Give it a year. By the time of your next harvest, you should have a better idea of what Marquette wine taste like. You can then make technique or component changes with the new harvest to correct any expectation deficiency. If you can declare this year's wine to be at least an everyday table wine, the time and effort you put into making it is justified.

When I first started out, I often thought my most recent wine batches were failures. Over the ensuing year of tastings, I became increasingly surprised at how good the wine was getting.

bshef

Highland Meadow Vineyard
Reaction score
I’m planting Marquette this Spring. I understand it is a big red that ages and oaks well. Give it oak and time. It is supposed to be a good to great cellar wine.

wood1954

Reaction score
Update to this: I had a bad cold when I last tasted this wine I think that was why I couldn't taste or smell it. It's fine now.

Last edited:

Cedar Hill

Junior
Reaction score
I just planted my Marquette in May of 2019. It was a bit of a gamble, since I don't know anyone locally who's growing them.
A couple of weeks ago, a friend had to make an emergency visit to Michigan. When he cleared quarantine, he gifted me with a bottle of Marquette.
Now, I can't wait for next year!

Latest posts