Water to Wine*

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerdave

Chief Bottlewasher
Reaction score
I've searched, but can't find a thread on water quality. Tap? Filtered? Rain? What does everyone use? How do you treat your water prior to making wine?

Inquiring noobs want to know! :i

Well - a lot of folks have different opinions on this.

Some say spring water - and not to use purified water or tap water.

Others say if your tap water is safe to drink - use it in your wine.

Personally - I have used tap water and spring water - have not really found a significant difference.

Never tried purified water though.

If you like the taste of your water use it.

If you only use bottle water (spring) use it.

Do not use distilled water or zero water. You want some minerals in it.

I tried using tap, but we have town water from an artesian well. While it tastes fine, doesn't seem overly chlorinated....it seems like my wines have a hard time getting started when I use it, so I just go with the bottled water.

If you like the taste of your water use it.

If you only use bottle water (spring) use it.

Do not use distilled water or zero water. You want some minerals in it.

I second this!

I was all excited... Thought someone had found the recipe for TURNING water into wine..... Damn... I guess I'll just have to do it the old fashioned way for awhile longer.

I was all excited... Thought someone had found the recipe for TURNING water into wine..... Damn... I guess I'll just have to do it the old fashioned way for awhile longer.

well you can with sugar and yeast added to it....lol

I use tap water... water here is pretty good. If it was all chlorine-y I probably wouldn't

I use my well water and have tried natural spring waters,but have found no noticeable difference.

Thanks everyone for piping in on the water issue. I like our drinking water, so I'm going to get a simple filter for my tap, and use that. No need to make things more complicated.

Latest posts

Back