Could i just hammer in a short cork screw?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the photo, this looks like an aluminum cap with a plastic liner. Metal provides excellent oxygen barrier properties, for oxygen it doesn’t get any better. The interior looks like a plastic liner. Plastic liners inside a metal screw insulated the acidic wine from touching/ reacting with the metal. It doesn’t get any better.
The inside looks threaded which lets one snug down/ deform the plastic to conform with glass imperfections. IS the cap pressure rated? Probably is at least one atmosphere. OK. :)
Hello @Rice_Guy, thanks for reply. There is no pressure rating. Here they cost about 7 cents each so I'm not expecting top quality.

One more question: for one-liter bottles, they have both brown and green colors. Is one color better over the other for red wine? Green color, for some reason, is slightly more expensive.

. Here they cost about 7 cents each so I'm not expecting top quality. ,,,. Is one color better over the other for red wine?
The coloring doesn’t matter unless you are keeping the wine in sunlight, and for a few years, then a color is useful. In the US market fruit wines and white grape usually get clear bottles. Reds are frequently in green but sometimes in brown. Tradition? and Dark hides sediment which in a red grape is purple is less obvious.

Latest posts

Back