Jalapeno Pepper Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys are both right and wrong. While the seeds as such don't have the capsaicin in them, the pith surrounding them- the placental tissue has the highest concentration of it in the peppers, so when you strip the seeds out or cut the pith that holds the seeds, you are removing the area with the highest concentration of the heat!

You guys are both right and wrong. While the seeds as such don't have the capsaicin in them, the pith surrounding them- the placental tissue has the highest concentration of it in the peppers, so when you strip the seeds out or cut the pith that holds the seeds, you are removing the area with the highest concentration of the heat!

yes but the seeds themselves do not have heat and that is where most people believe the heat is generated. And did you know the great health benefits of capsaicin? There are claims that capasicin lowers blood pressure, heals ulcers, pain reliever and cures colds/flus. Sorry I know I getting on a soap box.

yes but the seeds themselves do not have heat and that is where most people believe the heat is generated. And did you know the great health benefits of capsaicin? There are claims that capasicin lowers blood pressure, heals ulcers, pain reliever and cures colds/flus. Sorry I know I getting on a soap box.

Please consult your Dr. if after four hours you are still experiancing an....ah never mind! :)

That's the sole reason for making this, the health benefits of it. And like UBG said, it ups your metabolism. Really though, I had heard all those things about capasicin before.

I transfered mine the other day, it's starting to get layers of sediment at the various levels of the jug. Looks good. Still haven't tasted it. Smells wonderful though.

Day 6: Squeezed and removed mesh bag of peppers and raisins. Sg is 1.006, racked over to carboys. Still has a very pleasant flavor, followed by intense heat.::

Day6.jpg

Tasted our Pepper Wine today. Definately needs back sweetening. Tasting went something like this;

Lift wine to mouth, strong pepper flavor
Sip wine
Damn that's hot. Damn that's hot. Damn that's hot.
Need backsweetening and aging.
Maybe 20 peppers was too much.

Definately hotter than Julie's that she gave us but with a different flavor. I'm sure back sweetening and time will make it better. Already contemplating a batch with 12 peppers instead of 20 in the event blending needs done. I'll let this age til probably Christmas before I even consider bottling.

Picked up:
4.5 lbs jalapenos
4.5 lbs banana peppers
2.5 lbs roma tomatoes
4 lbs better boy tomatoes

the tomatoes were just a bonus.

Well, I know it was early, but I wanted to get the pepper wine off the sediment at the bottom of the bottle. Wine was fermented dry and clearing nicely so I stabilized and back sweetened with a can of Welches Grape concentrate. SG is 1.014 and acid after adding juice was .75%. Initial taste is sweet with a whole lot of burn afterwards. This is definately going to be good with several months of aging.

If your wine ends up not being hot enough, you certainly can add some fresh seeds in nylon to the secondary. I've done this to help fine-tune the heat of the wine. It appears some season's peppers are hotter than others.

ALSO: Here is an excellent way to share this wine with doubting friends---

JALAPENO WINE MARGARITAS
(Careful...these are addicting and very high in alc content)
Mix equal parts of wine, tequila and Triple Sec. Add margarita mix to your taste. Rim glasses in salt after trailing a lime around the edges. Fill with ice and enjoy!
Hot, salty, sweet and sour. Just like I like my man.

Day 11: today I tried a sample and the sweet appple taste is gone. It is mostly hot. The sg is .996 and this as Doug said "is definetly one to sweeten". I'll give it some more time to ferment and drop Lees before moving on.

This is a bit off this topic - but since it deals with peppers - i thought i would ask.

Has anybody tried banana pepper wine?

This is a bit off this topic - but since it deals with peppers - i thought i would ask.

Has anybody tried banana pepper wine?

i thought i had asked that. i have what i believe to be more than enough for at least a gallon (4+ lbs).

If i trade the jalapenos for banana peppers, what could i substitute for apple juice in the jalapeno/apple juice wine? Or should i just follow a straight jalapeno recipe?

i thought i had asked that. i have what i believe to be more than enough for at least a gallon (4+ lbs).

If i trade the jalapenos for banana peppers, what could i substitute for apple juice in the jalapeno/apple juice wine? Or should i just follow a straight jalapeno recipe?

You could use banana peppers and try Welch's white grape concnetrate as a substitute for apple juice.

I used Welch's Grape juice concentrate and water in my recipe for a gallon. I have a gallon and a little over 750ml after topping up. It has good flavor,a good acid content, and just the right amount of burn. Well, that may still be a bit high but I like it.

I used Welch's Grape juice concentrate and water in my recipe for a gallon. I have a gallon and a little over 750ml after topping up. It has good flavor,a good acid content, and just the right amount of burn. Well, that may still be a bit high but I like it.

LOL, I know how hot you like stuff and yea I would say a bit high.

I just finished racking my 5 plus gallons of Jalapeno wine. I told Runningwolf that when I went to remove the peppers and raisins from the primary I felt like I was btch slapped hard. The fumes knocked me over. I had to put a towel over my face. It wasn't bad after the cap was removed.

My primary bucket after washed.............still smells like jalapeno's. I have it soaking in water and k-meta for now.

The Jalapeno wine we bought from the Grape and Grainery had a specific gravity of 1.016
FYI for all of you.

I just finished racking my 5 plus gallons of Jalapeno wine. I told Runningwolf that when I went to remove the peppers and raisins from the primary I felt like I was btch slapped hard. The fumes knocked me over. I had to put a towel over my face. It wasn't bad after the cap was removed.

My primary bucket after washed.............still smells like jalapeno's. I have it soaking in water and k-meta for now.

The Jalapeno wine we bought from the Grape and Grainery had a specific gravity of 1.016
FYI for all of you.

Mine was at 1.014 after adding the grape concentrate.

3 cans Welch's White Grape concentrate
Abt 7/8 c. sugar to get to sg to 1.086
1/2 tsp bentonite
1 tsp yeast nutrient
½ tsp energizer
½ tsp acid blend acid just around .65%
½ tsp tannin
20 Jalepano Peppers sliced and placed in bag.
Lavin 1118 yeast

i don't see mention of adding any water.
Did you not add any or did you add water to one gallon or what?

i don't see mention of adding any water.
Did you not add any or did you add water to one gallon or what?

Sorry about that. I after adding all the above I added water to just over a gallon so when I removed the peppers that were in the straining bag I would end up with a gallon +/-.

Latest posts

Back