Jalapeno Pepper Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Score!

I went to my local produce stand to pick up a bnottle of wine from him to enter in next weeks fair and started talking about halapeno wine. He was just getting ready to mark some down and decided to just give them to me. Must be about 8qts of them. I'll just freeze them for now until I see how mine turns out.

I went to my local produce stand to pick up a bnottle of wine from him to enter in next weeks fair and started talking about halapeno wine. He was just getting ready to mark some down and decided to just give them to me. Must be about 8qts of them. I'll just freeze them for now until I see how mine turns out.

Sweeeeet. Actually hoooooot.

i have yet to start this...
Is this going to ruin my primary?
Will i ever again be able to use it for a "non-hot" wine?

i have yet to start this...
Is this going to ruin my primary?
Will i ever again be able to use it for a "non-hot" wine?

Bham, it will make a great muti purpose hot seat for you this winter out in the woods when your hunting. :)

I am reusing mine right now for another wine. Just make sure you wsh it out real good. I used oxy clean on mine and then sanitized.

UglyBhamGuy

Your primary will be fine, make that wine you are gonna luv it!

Here is my recipe:

Jalapeño Wine
Today
Apple juice for 6 gallons or more
6 cans of apple concentrate (to boost and layer flavors)
sugar 5 lbs to a 1.086abv
tannin 1.5tsp
acid blend 4tsp
ascorbic acid 1tsp (to help with oxidizing)
kmeta 1/4tsp
70 jalapenos

next day
2 pounds of raisins after fermentation starts
pectic enzyme 3tsp
yeast energizer 3 tsp
yeast nutrient 1.5 tsp
lalvin 1118 yeast
Today I added all of the above to make about 6.5 gallons so I have extra for topping. After stirring by hand I used the drill mixer also. I sliced the Jalapeno’s in ¼ slices and put in strainer bag with the seeds. I started a yeast starter with 2/3 of the must and 1/3 water to mix in tomorrow.
Tomorrow I will add the pectic enzyme, energizer, nutrient and yeast starter. I am holding off on adding the raisins till after the fermentation starts due to the sulphites in them.

Sorry, but i'm a little confuzzled by these directions.
Do you add the pectic enzyme and the yeast at the same time?
i thought that pectic wouldn't work during an active fermentation.

I plan on making at least a gallon of each recipe, the apple juice/concentrate based and the white grape juice concentrate based to compare. Might even make the 2 off of Jack Keller's site. I have enough jalapenos. LOL.

Sorry, but i'm a little confuzzled by these directions.
Do you add the pectic enzyme and the yeast at the same time?
i thought that pectic wouldn't work during an active fermentation.

I plan on making at least a gallon of each recipe, the apple juice/concentrate based and the white grape juice concentrate based to compare. Might even make the 2 off of Jack Keller's site. I have enough jalapenos. LOL.

Yes I did as that was the recipe I had. just remember to hold off on the raisins till after the fermentation starts.

Yes I did as that was the recipe I had. just remember to hold off on the raisins till after the fermentation starts.

Now I added my raisins in the primary before adding yeast so the pectic enzymes can start on them. I added them straight from the bag, not boiling them. The enzymes chewed them up good.

Now I added my raisins in the primary before adding yeast so the pectic enzymes can start on them. I added them straight from the bag, not boiling them. The enzymes chewed them up good.

I did not boil mine either. Chopped them a bit and dumped in. The reason I waited till the fermentation started was due to the fact they contain sulphites and could have created a hard start.

Update of Pepper Wine,

One gallon of white wine concentrate with 5 jalapenos has a real nice kick without being totaly overpowering.

One gallon of raspberry concentrate that I am going to add 4 banana peppers to, they are a mild but still have a little kick. I am looking forward to tasting this.

Update of Pepper Wine,

One gallon of white wine concentrate with 5 jalapenos has a real nice kick without being totaly overpowering.

One gallon of raspberry concentrate that I am going to add 4 banana peppers to, they are a mild but still have a little kick. I am looking forward to tasting this.

And where were you 2 weeks ago when I put 40 peppers in a five gallon?:) Guess it's gonna have some kick folks. It is clearing really nice.

Update of Pepper Wine,

What do you mean by a gallon of concentrate?
Like frozen concentrate?
Where do you find it in a size larger than 10-12 oz.?

Sorry for all the questions. :sm :> :D :r

What do you mean by a gallon of concentrate?
Like frozen concentrate?
Where do you find it in a size larger than 10-12 oz.?

Sorry for all the questions. :sm :> :D :r

Don't be sorry, that is how I learned by asking questions. I am using Welch's frozen concentrate that you get in the freezer section of the grocery store. I use 3 cans per gallon.

Update of Pepper Wine,

And where were you 2 weeks ago when I put 40 peppers in a five gallon?:) Guess it's gonna have some kick folks. It is clearing really nice.

I was thinking the same thing when I read this except I have 20 for a gallon batch. I think mine will kick you in the A$$ then turn around and kick you in the teeth just for good measure. THink a batch of just grape juice concentrated is in order for blending purposes.

Just a quick question to all of you folks that are making a jalepeno pepper wine. Have you been tasting the wine along the way thru fermentation? If so has it increased in heat level after removing the peppers?

The reason why I'm asking is I have a chile de arbol/apple juice wine going right now(inspired from this thread) and am getting a little concerned about where the heat level will be once it is done fermenting. During the early to middle parts of fermenting it had a nice atomic red hot or fireball candy taste to it. When I racked the wine off of the peppers yesterday the heat level seemed to be noticably stronger. My wife is really starting to like it the more the heat level shows(and she's not a wine drinker). I'm almost at my tolerance point with the heat where its at now.

I was thinking the same thing when I read this except I have 20 for a gallon batch. I think mine will kick you in the A$$ then turn around and kick you in the teeth just for good measure. THink a batch of just grape juice concentrated is in order for blending purposes.

I added about 10 per gallon. The minimum I saw in a recipe was 8 per gallon. At 70 peppers in a 7 gallon batch I did not feel it was over powering. I will report back later today as I will be stabilizing it and racking.

I racked, stabilized and back sweetened today. Added two cans of apple concentrate and enough sugar to take it up to 1.016 sg. Its plenty hot with flavor. I think when this baby cools down it'll be pleasant.

Latest posts

Back