WineXpert Chocolate Orange Port...that's right!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Lori, ya I'm not a huge sweetness fan luckily that just may limit me to sipping it only! I was not thinking of really using a lot perhaps just top off once with a little bit after my first racking... We'll see I guess. I wonder if the place I plan to get mine at will ship to the US? They have caramel and white chocolate and others...

Cointreau might give it just the right amount of orange it needs. As a Margarita Maven, I can tell you it's pretty sweet so be sure to take that into account.
I wish I could find a caramel port, that sounds so nummy.

Lori,

You have a wonderful wine supply business right outside Dallas!! "Fine Vine Wines" owned by a guy name George Cornelious. He has been my supplier for 10 yrs now. This is where I get my wine and port kits and supplies. He is a guy that when you call the store, he answers all your questions and gives advice and loves to talk to customers.

Kathie

I have mail ordered a bunch of kits from George and found the prices, even with shipping, to be less expensive than my local store.

I preordered three limited edition kits from Fine Vine Wines, nice thing is that he doesn't charge your credit card until the kits ship. :). I ordered the Nero Davola, Italian Primitivo, and the Petite Verdot. They have a free discount club and monthly specials, I get the newsletter so that I know what's on sale.

Yippee! Got this one today... Gonna be different making a kit for a change. I'm like a kid in a candy store when I get to go to my local wine making store. It's over an hour away so not really local. Got a new 3gal carboy to bulk age it in. But thinking I'll need still a few more carboys and kits lol!

ImageUploadedByWine Making1391558731.691714.jpg

Racked my chocolate orange port yesterday to the carboy. This smells fantastic! I guess I'll go with just putting in some orange zest. Does everyone feel that it has just the right amount of chocolate notes on its own? Or has anyone aged it on unsweetened pure chocolate?

Perfect thanks Joeswine! I've read all of your posts on the thinking outside the box threads and appreciate your advice :)

I'm so jealous!
I looked everywhere for the caramel and black forest port kits and can't find them.

Keep us updated on this one!
I can't wait to hear how it turns out.

Jeri! I know the feeling! Could it be that they aren't in season right now? My supplier lady at Musca told me they have just released more chocolate raspberry ports and she reserved 15 of them and I'll be trying that one as well. I can't believe I found these in my backyard practically their old website was crappy and they never showed their products online so I shopped at another store. I definitely want to try the others as well!

Carolyn you dog you!!!! I've bought a fair amount from Musca. They are super great to work with. They are the best place in the world to buy filtering equipment from. I bought my mini jet from them many years ago and so did several other people from here.

I've made the port kit 3 times. I wouldn't change anything if I was to make it again. I absolutely would not add anymore chocolate as it is pretty forward. I have never used the zest before so I cannot comment on that.

I added orange zest to mine. I'm about due to taste it again. My step-son is coming by this weekend. He loves reds and ports. Maybe we'll share a taste and see how it's coming along. :r

Dan... Aren't they awesome?? Carmen is wonderful for customer service and she told me if ever I want something from them that I can't find, she'll get it for me. I went there many years ago to get some kits and then we moved to the sticks and shopped elsewhere but the selection and service doesn't compare to Musca. I'll be exclusively shopping there. Thanks for the advice on the port... I will wait a month maybe even before considering the zest.

Dave, sure would love to hear what you think if you get to tasting it this weekend!

Jeri: maybe she'll ship to you too?? Is better go by the shop and get my stash before she sells it to all the Americans lol

Oh one more quick question on this kit... What are u all topping off with? I'm so worried about diluting this?? Should I just get some marbles from the dollar store? If you used a red wine, what kind did you use?

Honestly I had bottles from previous batches to use. I don't think you'll need much, I wonder what kind of brandy is out there you might be able to try.

I've only racked once since clearing, so I used the small amount left over from the primary.

What did you do on your first batch? We have some pretty expensive brandies out there but I feel like I'm going to gain a huge amount of head space since clearing this. I don't really feel like spending even $75 on brandy for this. When I racked from primary I lost a few inches so I topped up with some of my concord port that i had left over for top ups but that's gone now.

I managed to get everything out of the primary at the first rack to carboy (minus what sediment was on the bottom), then I cleared and immediately have an inch of sediment at the bottom - actually just put my thumb up against it. It's more like 3/4 on one side and 1/2 on the other.

Last edited:
Wow 75.00 for brandy. You're high maintenance and our date for Saturday is off. :)

Just an idea but what about something like Baileys Irish Cream or a cheap knock off of it? Someone else might step in with a better idea or tell you why not to use. It was just a suggestion of the top of my head. If you can get that cheap enough the date is back on and we'll finish the bottle.

I can get st remy brandy in a mickey for about $13 and a lot more for the 40oz bottles lol they charge tax on our booze cuz the government runs it. But that's a cheaper brandy than some of the others.

Irish cream now your speaking my language! I could imagine that in the toasted caramel port! Shoot Dan why did you have to do that!

Tasting notes on the caramel port

Tasting notes: Caramel Port
Aroma of butterscotch and burnt sugar (smells nice!)
Nice caramel flavor, Some fruit notes, nice alchohol, hold and let it sit- it will be nice in time

BY THE WAY THE CARAMEL PORT IS THE LAST ON THE RIGHT

Picture of wines 2-8-14.jpg

1 ingridients.jpg

2 open bag.jpg

4 rinse bag and add to bucket.jpg

5 not quite 3 gal we topped up.jpg

7 add tannin.jpg

8 sg reading.jpg

9 ph reading.jpg

12 tag.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts