WineXpert Chocolate Orange Port...that's right!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for sharing! I didn't rinse my bag and empty it in no instructions for that. It simply said contains exact volume, don't top up Oh well. What was yours topped up with? But that was the caramel batch right? Also love the pic showing the wines - nice colours on them.

Was the caramel flavour strong and forward enough to withstand a bit something else like amurula fruit cream? And it sounds like over time as you suggest, it's just fine on its own and wouldn't need the addition even of caramel baileys. Or what's the name of that butterscotch liqueur?

Caramel port

FIRST= I ALWAYS RINSE OUT THE FPAC BAG REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE INSTRUCTION STATE,MAKE SENSE?

SECONDLY ,THINK ABOUT WHAT CARAMELS BASE IS ,SUGAR ALMOST TO A BURNT STATE BUT NOT QUITE.THIS WINE HAS CHANGED ON ITS OWN SO FAR, OTHER THEN THE TANNINS I DON'T THINK ANY OTHER DISTRACTION IS OR WILL BE REQUIRED TIME ON THIS ONE IS REQUIRED,IT HAS GROWN ONCE SENSE CONSTRUCTED IT SHOULD CHANGE AGAIN,BY MARCH I WOULD LIKE TO ENTER THIS ONE IN A LOCAL CONTEST HERE IN NJ.:try

Wow! That's exciting! Well it seems like manufacturers have these kits down to a science! Less is more sometimes so I'll heed the advice! Thanks :)

Oh and would love to hear how it goes if you enter it!

Caramel port

IF ANYTHING YOU MIGHT COME UP SHORT DO NOT TO BE CONCERN ,ONCE YOU HAVE REACH THE END OF THE PRIMARY THE SECONDARY WILL BE VERY SHORT BE READY TO CLEAR ,CHEM AND BOTTLE.OR IF YOUR CARBOY IS GOOD AND FULL LET IT SIT.YOU CAN ALWAYS AGE IN THE BOTTLE,.:i

That's true! I'm forgetting that I can age in the bottle. So it will be ok to let sit for however long with headspace? The instructions say to let sit until day 42 and bottle but if I reach total clarity before that I can bottle? Or can I let it sit for those days?

Clearing and setting?

think about it? If you are clear ,if you have done the chems and the sg is still then what does it matter were you age,if in fact you are topped up and have a good seal then let it sit if not then i would bottle.it will also change it's characteristics in the bottle as well.my caramel is in a three gallon carboy as we speak,because i know it wasn't correct ,correct in the sense that the flavor wasn't ready yet this was after trial tastings with my crew,this is what you need as a winemaker to get under your belt when is my wine really ready,let your taste buds and good sanitation practices be your guild, we are always out here to assist,does this make sense?:db.

1 ingridients.jpg

2 open bag.jpg

4 rinse bag and add to bucket.jpg

8 sg reading.jpg

Amarone Macerating.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! Look at me! Making port!

I was tooling around Columbus today after my wife's doctor appointment---and an awesome gyro at Loops! We ended up at a wine supply store we had visited before, where I tripped over a WE Chocoloate Orange Port Kit. The wife grabbed a Washington Moscato (she loves moscato!), so everyone was happy. I picked up the last three gallon carboy they had, since I didn't have one, and now I'm going to make some port...

HELP! I'M GOING TO MAKE PORT! AAAAAHHHHH!

Ok, got that out! Now, give me some ideas. I've read about bananas, raisins, oak, grapes, brandy, Cointreau, etc, etc, etc. What's the best to use on this kit? Tweak? No? Yes? What?

I'm kind of overwhelmed with the possibilites. Any suggestions from our port makers? I humbly await your kernels of wisdom...:i

Leave it alone and don't tweak it. It is great as is.

think about it? If you are clear ,if you have done the chems and the sg is still then what does it matter were you age,if in fact you are topped up and have a good seal then let it sit if not then i would bottle.it will also change it's characteristics in the bottle as well.my caramel is in a three gallon carboy as we speak,because i know it wasn't correct ,correct in the sense that the flavor wasn't ready yet this was after trial tastings with my crew,this is what you need as a winemaker to get under your belt when is my wine really ready,let your taste buds and good sanitation practices be your guild, we are always out here to assist,does this make sense?:db.

Yup you are so right! Yes I definitely might need some practice on knowing when some of my wines are "right" especially in the line of ports since I rarely drink them. That advice was crystal clear and I just need to follow the rules - don't bottle until it's clear and have good sanitation practices. I will say though that this port is so dark next to my concord one - telling if it's truly clear might mean drawing some off into a glass.

For my orange choc port I used E&J XO Brandy. 1500ml was less than $20. I topped up with some and added the rest of the bottle at bottling time:dg

See you guys get way better prices than we do - this is what we have to pay for half that amount:

ImageUploadedByWine Making1392321482.792872.jpg

Clearing and racking

A WEEK OR TWO AFTER THE SECONDARY ,ADD YOUR FINING AGENT AND THEN RACK,WITH DARK WINES MONTHLY RACKS ARE THE BEST WAY TO REVIEW A WINE ,THIS PORT WILL CLEAR FAST BUT YOU MAY STILL HAVE SOME FALL OUT,THAT'S OK AS LONG AS IT'S NOT OVER WHELMING.YOU CAN CONSIDERATE NATURE FILTRATION OR ORGANIC FILTRATION WHICH IS RACKING OR NOT AT ALL. :u

Ok I'll rack it tomorrow (if I stay home
due to snow) or on the weekend to get it off the lees from the finings. I'll wait another month to rack again and check clarity. Thank you!

I'm thinking now that I didn't know to rinse the bag with water and empty it is why I'm left with a bit less than you guys are. How much water would you say you use in rinsing the bag?

Water in the bag?

ENOUGH TO RINSE THE INSIDE OUT AND MAKE SURE THE WATER IS A LITTLE WARM TO LOOSEN WHAT MIGHT BE STUCK ON THE SIDES,USE YOU JUDGMENT ON THE AMOUNT,JUST ENOUGH,OK:try

I had a taste of the chocolate orange port with my step-son last night. The orange zest (of two oranges) really elevated the citrus flavor. Before, it was chocolate with a hint of orange. Now, the chocolate and orange occupy the same level. My guess is that the orange will fall back a little over the summer, but hold it's own in the long run. I still plan to monitor it's progress before bottling this fall.

Dave did you add the zest before or after the clearing stage? I haven't added any yet but plan to rack mine tomorrow. I know everyone says not to tweak it until I try it when it's ready but I have mine on heavy toast Hungarian oak cubes as already this is awesome. I will taste it tomorrow while racking to see what I taste on the orange side.

Ok thanks! First racking after clearing? And off the lees? Or when transferring to carboy? I would suspect after clearing?

Wine making art

ADDING THE ORANGE ZEST IN THE SECONDARY ASSURES YOU THAT THE ORANGE WILL NOT BE A BACKSEAT DRIVER BUT WILL AND CAN BE A EQUAL TO THE WINES BASE NO MATTER WHAT ORIGIN , CHOCOLATE IS ADDED TO THE WINES BASE ALONG WITH CITRUS IN THE FPAC,,THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX..:u

WHAT YOUR DOING IS CREATING A BETTER BALANCE BETWEEN THE ORANGE AND THE CHOCOLATE.

P1030105.jpg

P1030100.jpg

P1030115.jpg

P1030116.jpg

P1030117.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back