RJ Spagnols Orange Chocolate Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vcasey

Reaction score
Yesterday we had a wonderful time visiting some dear friends. The end of the day was spent enjoying the absolutely beautiful evening sitting on the porch overlooking a nice quiet lake and sharing a glass of this really amazing Orange Chocolate Port that I made in 2008. I must say after all this time this kit gets better and better. The orange & chocolate have blended smoothly and the wine has become truly remarkable. One of my friends had not opened her bottle yet and looked at me shocked and said - I only have 1 of these, can we get more?

When we arrived home I did have to make sure the port tasted good because we were sharing with friends or because it's just good. Happy to report it was just as good at home as well!

If RJS releases the kit this year, grab a few so you'll have plenty to age a good long time.

vcasey said:
Yesterday we had a wonderful time visiting some dear friends. The end of the day was spent enjoying the absolutely beautiful evening sitting on the porch overlooking a nice quiet lake and sharing a glass of this really amazing Orange Chocolate Port that I made in 2008.

This is just unbelievable - not the Orange Chocolate Port - because we all know that is good. What I am talking about is sitting on the porch looking out over the lake in the evening.................

Yeah, I can imagine that right now. I sit down in a deck chair with a glass of wine. The deck chair goes a sliding on the ice and snowand teeters on the edge, ready to fall off, but the snowbanks 8 feet high prevent that. Good thing I kept that snow shoveled to the edge. I can just see over the edge.............yep there is the lake over there. The light is getting dim, but the northern lights make the ice on the lake glow eerily. The ice shanties are lit up as hardy folks are out there fishing for ling in the evening and overnight- snug in their little shelters shielding them from the 40 mph winds driving that powder we just got. It was a nice powdery snow because the air temps were minus 10 degrees while it snowed. It has gotten a lot colder now that the snow stopped and the wind picked up.

I'm drinking a port because it is higher in alcohol and takes five minutes to freeze solid. That's OK, it only takes me three minutes..................Time to go in....

I have about 6 gallons of this stuff in my cellar with about 3 years of age on it and I dont like it much at all. You tell your neighbor if they want it to pay for the Bellissima bottles I used and the shipping and they are all theirs!!!

Have you tried it lately Wade??? 3 years is about right for aging that wine...Give it a try you might be surprised...

Not to rub it in but yesterday was really just beautiful and we are expecting this weather for a bit. Thank goodness and it looks like the jeep will be minus the top while we are enjoying the weather.

Appleman be careful with all that ice and snow, maybe you should hold off on sitting outside for a while. I know I would if it was that cold. Btw my hubby just got back from a business trip to NYC and got out just before all that snow. He said the temperature differences were like whiplash!

Dan just be patient with this one. I thought it was pretty good when I bottled it after 6 months of aging. All those bottles all of us have had just started to pale in comparison to what we enjoyed last night.

Wade I agree with Bert, mine is 2 1/2 years old and the port I've been enjoying just became, as my friend put it breath taking. Try another bottle and if you still don't like it, re-bottle and use the wine bottles for something else and give the wine away as gifts. Sorry we aren't closer, I only have 17 bottles left so this is on my "OMG, I'm running out and need more" list.

Yeah, I busted out a bottle not long ago just to try it again and it still just aint my thing!

Back