Masters or Associate Degree in Winemaking .... WMT

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
School was back in session for me this past weekend. As a new wine maker, I continue to learn about all the different types of wines. Winemaker81 turned me onto the Costco Wine Advent Calendar with 24 different 375ml bottles from all over the world. There are 14-15 reds and the rest whites plus a Rose & Blush but the wines are from Italy, France, South Africa, Spain, Portugal, Moldova and host of other places. Youtube has a one minute video on each wine, so at our two Wine Advent tastings we played the video for each wine before we sampled. The cost was $99 but it comes out to about $4 per 375ml plus I ended up with some extra smaller bottles.

I guess my point is, we had a blast trying these wines, we would never have purchased a full bottle. What a learning experience it was for me trying different types of dry reds! I had two parties with family / friends and we still have 2-3 bottles unopened. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0683.jpeg
    IMG_0683.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0727.jpeg
    IMG_0727.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
School was back in session for me this past weekend. As a new wine maker, I continue to learn about all the different types of wines. Winemaker81 turned me onto the Costco Wine Advent Calendar with 24 different 375ml bottles from all over the world. There are 14-15 reds and the rest whites plus a Rose & Blush but the wines are from Italy, France, South Africa, Spain, Portugal, Moldova and host of other places. Youtube has a one minute video on each wine, so at our two Wine Advent tastings we played the video for each wine before we sampled. The cost was $99 but it comes out to about $4 per 375ml plus I ended up with some extra smaller bottles.

I guess my point is, we had a blast trying these wines, we would never have purchased a full bottle. What a learning experience it was for me trying different types of dry reds! I had two parties with family / friends and we still have 2-3 bottles unopened. ;)
Glad to see you taking advantage of the opportunity to experience new wines.

Either Canadian Costco doesn't carry these, or I was in too early. I would have gotten one, otherwise. Looks like a lot of fun!

Either Canadian Costco doesn't carry these, or I was in too early. I would have gotten one, otherwise. Looks like a lot of fun!
I purchased mine in October, and purchased a second one a week later. I got one of the last ones -- the Advent calendars sell out FAST.

I have 2 bottles of white from first one, haven't broached the second one yet. It's time is coming.

It does bring up a real good point today regarding today’s educational opportunities. Historically, I’ve valued the traditional brick and mortar degrees from schools with good reputations and discounted the online “mail-in” degrees. Clearly that way of thinking is outdated. Having to go to a physical school may be outdated as having to go to the library to get a book.

Of course there is the absence of the social aspect of attending school, but I think from the pure education standpoint, what you can learn at little to no cost on-line (including wine making) is pretty incredible.

I‘d vote for ”Corky” as the mascot.
I gotta add a critical opinion here. There is a world of difference between an accredited school whose teachers must have a recognized degree at a level which the accrediting authorities agree the teachers must have to teach a subject and an online forum where anyone can present themselves as authoritative with no peer review. A lot of the crap presented as valuable information on Youtube is but one example.
College classrooms no longer need to be brick and mortar to provide a good education. Educators now know how to design online courses (you can't simply film your lecture and claim that that is an online class: we "flip" the class so that online is 100 percent discussion of the material you have been asked to read and study offline) and clearly, for the record, what used to be considered as "non traditional students" now seems to be rather more the norm: the median age of the students who attend the college where I am faculty is 38 and many (but not all) of our classes are online - if you work two jobs and you are working 9 to 5 and weekends to put bread on the table, and you have family and other responsibilities, attending class at 10 AM or 3 PM is not going to work for you, but attending a classes asynchronously from 9 PM to midnight or 6 AM on a Sunday, might. And if you are 30 or 55 years of age, you may not have the desire or the need to socialize with other class-mates face to face given the social network you already have than if you are 18 and living away from home for the first time in your life. Same applies if you are in the military and are on active duty even in war zones.

I purchased mine in October, and purchased a second one a week later. I got one of the last ones -- the Advent calendars sell out FAST.

They do sell out fast and probably because they are FUN. Watching the one minute video on each place the wine was made is very educational and adds to the party. We watched most of the videos twice and some family members ranked each wine according to taste. It was just so cool.

Wishing there was a SPRING, SUMMER, & FALL wine calendar too. 😁

Latest posts

Back