WineXpert Chocolate Orange Port...that's right!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerdave

Chief Bottlewasher
Reaction score
Wow! Look at me! Making port!

I was tooling around Columbus today after my wife's doctor appointment---and an awesome gyro at Loops! We ended up at a wine supply store we had visited before, where I tripped over a WE Chocoloate Orange Port Kit. The wife grabbed a Washington Moscato (she loves moscato!), so everyone was happy. I picked up the last three gallon carboy they had, since I didn't have one, and now I'm going to make some port...

HELP! I'M GOING TO MAKE PORT! AAAAAHHHHH!

Ok, got that out! Now, give me some ideas. I've read about bananas, raisins, oak, grapes, brandy, Cointreau, etc, etc, etc. What's the best to use on this kit? Tweak? No? Yes? What?

I'm kind of overwhelmed with the possibilites. Any suggestions from our port makers? I humbly await your kernels of wisdom...:i

Dave, zest 12 oranges and blend in with 1 pound of melted chocolate. Add this with the kit ingredients in a 6 gallon carboy with a solid bung. When bung blows off, your fermentation has begun. Replace bung. Continue to check every two hours until bung no long blows off. Your fermentation is nearly complete.

At this point drain 12 coconuts of milk by drilling a 1/2" hole in them. Now rack you wine into each coconut. Plug hole with duct tape or bondo, which ever you're most comfortable with. Allow to sit for 12 months.

This is the next wine contest, right? I wouldn't want to lead you down the wrong road!

Dave we made the Chocolate Orange Port 2 years ago and everyone loves it. We followed the directions. IF we were to make it again we might experiement with Cointreau. Last year we did the Toasted Carmel and that is a huge hit too! This year it is the Black Forest and that too is looking promising.

I wouldn't worry about having to tweak things right out of the box. These port style wine kits are usually not lacking in body or flavor. The end product will be pretty sweet and have an alcohol of at least ~16%. Brandy or whatnot can be added at any point later on. Cointreau is an interesting idea, but like I said, you'll have plenty of time to experiment with that.

Thanks, guys---especially you, Dan. :ft I started to write bondo and coconuts on my shopping list, then I thought, Heyyyyyyyyy...! Your comments are appreciated, and set firmly aside. :ts

I had read that some folks added the Cointreau because the orange flavor was not enough for them (particularly in the RJS kit). Mine is the WE version. But you are right, I'll have time to taste it over the next year and see how it comes along. I can add whatever it needs along the way. I'll be starting this one in the next few weeks.

So proud of you Dave! I need to pop open my WE Orange Chocolate from last year - I'll let you know how it tastes with no tweaks :b

Wow! Look at me! Making port!

I was tooling around Columbus today after my wife's doctor appointment---and an awesome gyro at Loops! We ended up at a wine supply store we had visited before, where I tripped over a WE Chocoloate Orange Port Kit. The wife grabbed a Washington Moscato (she loves moscato!), so everyone was happy. I picked up the last three gallon carboy they had, since I didn't have one, and now I'm going to make some port...

HELP! I'M GOING TO MAKE PORT! AAAAAHHHHH!

Ok, got that out! Now, give me some ideas. I've read about bananas, raisins, oak, grapes, brandy, Cointreau, etc, etc, etc. What's the best to use on this kit? Tweak? No? Yes? What?

I'm kind of overwhelmed with the possibilites. Any suggestions from our port makers? I humbly await your kernels of wisdom...:i

We didn't do any fancy stuff but on the last racking we added 8oz of everclear to boost the alcohol a little. It turned out great and we're going to make another one this year.

I'd make it right out of the box. I tweaked a few kits with grain alcohol and some bananas. I had to wait 9 months before I could approach it. Now, it is very smooth but quite potent. :)

Just make it as per the instructions and you will be very happy. Good luck

Richard

All depends?

:brALL DEPENDS ,on what you would like for a master FLAVOR, me I would process this out as directed and when it's time to move it to the secondary taste it(degassed)and after chems and fpac and fining agents your done,right.then add the zest of 1 Valencia orange,1 table spoon of wine tannins and let it set for one week, then rérack and taste ,it should pop with taste and texture,guaranteed.re-clear if you require ,I know that is out of steps but it works for this port.:mny

Ah, great idea, Joe! Zest would work! Thank you. I'll do that.

I couldn't leave well enough alone, you know, so I swapped out the oak powder in the kit for some toasted French oak chips I had on hand. And I added 20oz of organic California raisins, too. Can't go wrong with that!

Yesterday, I added in the extra dextrose in the kit. That's new for me. It smells great!

oak powder

Do Not

Dropout the out the oak powder its key to the mouth feel that's why you have it you won't need the oak.CHIPS:mny

I finally was able to pull a bottle of this for a test glass - it's one year old. I did it by the book, nothing added or taken away. Came out at 17.5%

I was not thrilled with it at bottling. Excited? Yes. Happy with the flavour? No. It had that kit taste, with too much fake orange and not enough chocolate. Hot, hot alcohol.

So I popped the cork yesterday, oh my, is it changed. There is dark chocolate and coffee in the nose, dark chocolate in the first sip, followed by a kiss of candied orange peel, and hint of dark fruits. It's dark, luscious, and full-bodied.

I can't wait to see what she does over the next few years.

I finally was able to pull a bottle of this for a test glass - it's one year old. I did it by the book, nothing added or taken away. Came out at 17.5%

I was not thrilled with it at bottling. Excited? Yes. Happy with the flavour? No. It had that kit taste, with too much fake orange and not enough chocolate. Hot, hot alcohol.

So I popped the cork yesterday, oh my, is it changed. There is dark chocolate and coffee in the nose, dark chocolate in the first sip, followed by a kiss of candied orange peel, and hint of dark fruits. It's dark, luscious, and full-bodied.

I can't wait to see what she does over the next few years.

That is good to hear. I didn't add any flavors and was starting to get nervous about the chocolate being strong enough. Sounds like age is all it needs. Mine will be ready to rack and clear next week. For now, it's sleeping under a dark towel resting peacefully.

Mine's just sitting there, real quiet, like. My wife says it tastes like an orange Tootsie Pop.

Started mine about 45 days ago. It's "clearing" now. At the end of this month, I'll rack it off the sediment and let it sit until Spring, when I'll get another taste!

Started mine about 45 days ago. It's "clearing" now. At the end of this month, I'll rack it off the sediment and let it sit until Spring, when I'll get another taste!

Ah, Ok. I thought you had just recently started it. I get to stabilize mine in 5 days and then i get to smell the goodness.

Latest posts

Back