WineXpert Chocolate Orange Port...that's right!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I racked mine and had a taste last week. It's pretty good. Per Joeswine's suggestion, I added some orange zest to soak in mine, and a bit of oak powder---cause I like oak. I'm not touching mine for a while, now.

Great Dave! I appreciate your reasoning for the oak powder, it sounds like mine for almost anything I do...

I wish we could compare on taste to see the difference between those with tweaks and the original recipe. Too bad we all live so darned far apart. :slp

Great Dave! I appreciate your reasoning for the oak powder, it sounds like mine for almost anything I do...

I wish we could compare on taste to see the difference between those with tweaks and the original recipe. Too bad we all live so darned far apart. :slp

You could always send each other bottles of "marinade" that just happen to have notes of chocolate and orange with a red grape juice base. Obviously, I wouldn't encourage shipping your wines to each other because you'd technically need a wine shipping license... ;)

Dave and Lori - how's this going? Any updates?

I added the fpac and clearing agent on 11/24. Then racked off the sediment on 12/6. I haven't tasted it since then, but it was tasting pretty darn nice. The chocolate is def there. It's now bulk aging in a 3gal and a 1 gal jug. Because I added a gal of brandy, I have a little more.
I'm hoping the orange comes through in the next few months. But I really don't think I'm going to make it till next Christmas to dive into a bottle. It's just too yummy.

I'm keeping my in the carboy so that I don't touch it. I didn't add any brandy to mine, but I had a little bit (200ml) left over, which I put in a small port bottle for tasting later.

I'd be happy to swap some samples next Fall---if you all have any left. :slp

Dave, I think Joe's idea of the orange zest is a good one. But, of course, I think all Joe's ideas are good ones.

Mine will be two years old next March. I've had several bottles already and they all tasted great.

I used Brandy to top off only. I did think the orange taste was a little light, therefore Joe's idea is spot on.

I'm going to open a bottle for New Year's and toast all you fine wine making pals. SO, Happy Holidays to all you wine making brothers and sista's. I hope your addiction stays strong and true. Cheeeeeeeerrrrrrrrssssssss.

RC, my Chocolate Orange Port will be in the bottle 2 months by New Year's so I will toast all you and all our fine winemaking pals:b
Happy New Years!

RC, my Chocolate Orange Port will be in the bottle 2 months by New Year's so I will toast all you and all our fine winemaking pals:b
Happy New Years!

Well said Bother.

Do we have any other Bothers and Sista's willing to participate in a New Year's cheer that will ferment all through 2014?

I plan to bring a bottle of Black Forest port to my New Years destination. It is this years vintage, and I'm thinking of also bringing a bottle of last years orange-chocolate.

Sorry to open up an old thread but would love some your feedback about these kits. Those of you who have made this a year or more ago. I've been wanting to make a few of these ports for a LONG time! But could never find them locally here, I couldn't even get any shipped from the US. Bummer! But I just found a whole slew of them here at another local place and I'm so excited I just have NO IDEA which one to start first! And I'll likely try them all lol can anyone give me feedback on which of these you've tried and which you liked best?? They all look so good!

http://musca.com/shop/category/port/

The toasted caramel port is excellent quickly and just gets better! Mine is only 9mos old. It will be a struggle to get a bottle to make it a year.

Thanks guys! Ya that toasted caramel looks heavenly! And I'm surprised to hear that the coffee one was better over the bf one! I personally have leaned to the bf one first! Good to ask questions on this forum! Does the Black Forest resemble cake at all??

I have made both the Orange Chocolate and the Black Forest - Orange Chocolate is just over a year old, the BF, just going on 5 months . I was also given a bottle of the Toasted Caramel that a friend made that was just a couple months old. All are very good. The caramel is my favorite, but I'm a sucker for caramel.

Ya I'm a sucker for caramel too and chocolate... That white chocolate one looks good too. Going to have to look for more 3gal carboys lol! I only have one and it's full of concord port ATM!

I made the Chocolate Raspberry Port, fortified with 2 bottles of brandy. It's about 15 months old. Opened a split for dessert on Christmas. It keeps getting better with time. Bakervinyard

Latest posts

Back