Another filter question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Typically, these wont give you the desired result you are looking for (polishing), That having been said, they will provide a filtering effect for larger particles...but it can be a VERY slow process depending on your setup

Will depend on how much wine you are filtering.
The state of the wine (how clear is it)
How important is filtering to you? Are you filtering to remove the larger particles or are you filtering to brilliantly polish your wine?

You might consider a Vinbrite (see George's website)

Or if you want a Cadillac, order the Super Jet

hope this helps

Never tried it but would guess they would clog fast as they are very thin and the finer lees from wine would clog them fast. If being money conscious Id suggest the http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=5292
Here is a picture of mine in use as George doesnt have a pic online.
Filtering-1.jpg

I second the Vinebrite. It works. It's cheap. Replacement filters are cheap. Perfect for the average home winemaker (whatever that is!)

I guess my idea is to remove the "bigger" particles. I don't plan on polishing the wine. Maybe I'll try it and evaluate the results.
Regarding the Vinbrite filter. Are the pads reusable?
I sampled a chokecherry yesterday that looked quite clear. Could stand one more racking and then into the bottles. And the berry medley is looking good. Deep red and clear.
I need to get to the bottling since the new crop of fruit will soon be here.

ibglowin: I was so fascinated by the vinbrite in use that I didn't scroll far enough for your post. Since the pads are cheap, reusing would probably not be worth the effort. I just bought a juicer so maybe the filter will be next on the list.
Thanks everybody.
Time to go fishing.

I use the Vinebrite. While I have never saved the pads for reuse, I have done two batches on a single pad. I did a white, followed by a red. The red took about an hour - typically it takes about 40 minutes for a batch - but it worked.

Just remember and this is a big one, the vinbrite is only to "polish"your wine. Like a diamond with a few rough edges so to speak. It is not for removing "bigger" particles" as you say. It will plug fast if you try and filter anything with any amount of visible sediment in it.

I agree with PeterZ. You could easily filter a white followed by a red but not the other way around!

barryjo said:
I guess my idea is to remove the "bigger" particles. I don't plan on polishing the wine.  Maybe I'll try it and evaluate the results.
Regarding the Vinbrite filter. Are the pads reusable?
I sampled a chokecherry yesterday that looked quite clear. Could stand one more racking and then into the bottles. And the berry medley is looking good. Deep red and clear.
I need to get to the bottling since the new crop of fruit will soon be here.

Coffee filters will clog much faster then you think. I use them when making my Limoncello as I make about 850 ml of high octane using Everkleer 190 proof and soak the lemon zest in it for 3 weeks and then filter off it and with just that small amount it will take about 6 coffee filters to do so and Im not dumping the zest in the filter, just the liquid off the top.

I tried the coffee filter and Wade is right. They clog up very fast. It is not worth the effort. I use the vinbrite filter but the wine has to be clear as you are only polishing it.

I'll tell you this ,just say you have two or three bottles that for some reason get sediment in them or some other film Ali's them,then a coffee filter works quite well for a quick fix,for some applications they work quite adequate,,,,,,,,,,use your coffee pot as the catcher pour through the filter and a way you go,,,,,NOT FOR LARGER QUALITIES

Joes right. For a few bottles only. When you start to make more wine you may consider the Boun Vino Mini-Jet filter.

Latest posts

Back