New to plate filtering - questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HanksHill

Reaction score
I've recently stepped up to larger batches now that we will be getting fruit from our own vineyards, and now have about 50 gallons to bottle out of two VCTs and purchased a Buon Vino Super Jet. In the past I used to just make 5 gallon batches and did multiple racks to clarify the wine but this time only did one rack to get rid of the larger lees and have let it settle about 9 months while aging. I plan to siphon off the top rather than using the bottom valve as I'm sure there's sediment that'll get sucked out, but my main question is around settling time between filtrations and also between filtration and bottling. I am hoping to not have to use #1 pads and go right to #2, then #3. How important is it to put a few days between each, or can it be filtered from one tank to another and back again and then bottled?

Alternatively I might scrap using the plate filter and go with the tandem inline filters with an Enolmatic as it seems like you can filter multiple stages and bottle all at once?

Last edited:
Racking is one of the "arts" of wine making.

Everyone has an opinion. Everyone has a method.

Most everyone will tell you their opinion and method. And many will say theirs is the only way to make great wine.

Meh.... Been there done that.....

I for one think you simply need to experiment. Take each and everyone's advice and try it. Figure out what works for you or not. It will take time. I have been experimenting with wine making methods for 20+ years, and I am still trying figure it out.... :cool:

Latest posts

Back