WMT (Unofficial) Welch's Wine Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I racked down from a 5 to a 3 gallon carboy this weekend and then filled 8 bottles with the overs. I'll let the 3 gallons age for another 6 months or so but I'm ready to send what I have now. I tried tasting it objectively to try to figure what our esteemed judges will think and I have no clue. Looks very clear and bright, smells nice and tastes like some type of alcoholic beverage. One thing's kind of cool though, I started at 1.100 and figure it finished at 13% abv but it doesn't taste hot or harsh to me at all.

Since this is all just an exercise for experience I'm trying a different way of decorating the bottles, if it works I'll post some pictures, even if it doesn't work I'll post the pictures, this is all for fun anyway.
Mike

Sorry folks; but since I broke 2 carboys of my concord I did not get another batch started for this one

I'm compiling my message list to send out our judges' addresses. I'm asking for confirmation so we know who's in and who's out. Take the next week to ship your wines, and hopefully the judges can start tasting soon thereafter.

I'm compiling my message list to send out our judges' addresses. I'm asking for confirmation so we know who's in and who's out. Take the next week to ship your wines, and hopefully the judges can start tasting soon thereafter.

If they are sent out next week or even the week after the Esteemed Judges could utilize Memorial Day Weekend as a tasting event...

If they are sent out next week or even the week after the Esteemed Judges could utilize Memorial Day Weekend as a tasting event...

Very true. Judges, feel free to take your time. Wine makers are (suppose to be) patient people.:ft

Edit: Ok, addresses sent out! If you're in the contest and you did not get the message from me, please let me know. If you got the message and are no long in the contest please do likewise.

Good luck contestants and judges! We're all going to need it!

Last edited:
I am in still too...........................I guess. I haven't tried what I am sending so I will be curious to see how it turned out or how the judges like it.

I'm still in also. I kept it simple and made a White Grape/Pineapple and a White Grape/Blueberry. I'm going to send the Blueberry. I hope the judges drink a bottle of their own best before tasting mine. Good luck to all!

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Ok, Manthing is going to make my label this weekend. They will be printed on Monday or Tuesday and I'll do my best to get them in the mail next Thursday or Friday.
I've got to figure out how to pack them now!

That would be good. I think I'll have access to a few neighbors that weekend for additional input. :dg

Ok, Arne, winointraining, and the_rayway are out. The list dwindles. A good showing, though.

chasemandingo
dangerdave
Dend78
dessertmaker
dralarms
GreginND
Jericurl
jojabri
Kraffty
kryptonitewine
LoneStarLori
Rodnboro
wineforfun
wineon4

I have my chosen, and will be sending it out tomorrow or Tuesday (depending which day I make it to town).

There are some pretty innovative winemakers on that list.
I'm in trouble.

Latest posts

Back