WMT (Unofficial) Welch's Wine Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the label, of course.

We'll be sending our Welch's wines to the judges beginning of May (in a couple of weeks). Two judges. Same wine to each. Then they do their thing and we suffer the consequences.

Your frugal side probably won't like the shipping costs. I'm just glad I don't ship wine very often. :m

Gina, I was hoping you would join one of our contests. I find you very creative.

Doug, you are in for judging this one. Thanks for volunteering! I need a PM from you and Jim with your home 20, and I'll feed it to the contestants as needed.

Aren: No worries, my man! You can shoot for the next one.

Mine have advanced to the bottling stage. I think the Cherry Palm will be my entery, but you never know. :n

PM Sent. I'll think up something creative to get multiple input.

Yes, judges, feel free to employ other in your effort to build a consensus. Or drink it all yourself! Your choice.

Please share your experience with us all, and choose a Gold, Silver, and Bronze medal winner.

Note: no actual real medals will be awarded! :p

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Love the label, of course.

We'll be sending our Welch's wines to the judges beginning of May (in a couple of weeks). Two judges. Same wine to each. Then they do their thing and we suffer the consequences.

Your frugal side probably won't like the shipping costs. I'm just glad I don't ship wine very often. :m

I personally think mine is a lost cause, :s but I went to the trouble to make it, so I'm going to send it in. It may just be that I'm expecting a good wine from real grapes.
To clarify, we only have to send in two bottles, one to each judge? Do I need to send a split or 750? Are all the judges going to taste these, or only the two?

Pardon my ignorance, it's my first important competition.

Last time, the judges employed extra people to help taste the wine. Our judges have expressed the desire to do so this time as well. So let's send them a 750ml bottle.

Don't worry, Lori. This is my first time making Welch's wine. I could have been safe and used the Niagara or Concord versions, but I went way out on that shakey limb to use some stuff that might not really be considered "fruit juice" in the first place, and certainly doesn't contain much grape juice.

It's a goofy contest with questionable results and enigmatic rewards. All for fun. Send in your crap and the judges will compare it to the rest of our crap and the least crappy will win! What fun, huh?

We'll be sending out our wines at the end of next week, so get your crap together! :)

One other note to our esteemed judges: The two of you, after tasting everyone's wines, will need to corroborate your results---combine their choices---to come up with our winners. If needed, we can add Bronze, Copper, Tin, Aluminium, and/or Iron Medals, but hopefully you two can agree on the top three.

dangerdave said:
Send in your crap and the judges will compare it to the rest of our crap and the least crappy will win!

Gee, it sounds so good. I can't wait to taste all this crap. :)

Since we could possibly have reds, whites, fruit wines, ports, etc. would it be possible to have serving recommendations? Ie: serve lightly chilled, room temp, etc.

L

It's a goofy contest with questionable results and enigmatic rewards. All for fun. Send in your crap and the judges will compare it to the rest of our crap and the least crappy will win! What fun, huh?

We'll be sending out our wines at the end of next week, so get your crap together! :)

One other note to our esteemed judges: The two of you, after tasting everyone's wines, will need to corroborate your results---combine their choices---to come up with our winners. If needed, we can add Bronze, Copper, Tin, Aluminium, and/or Iron Medals, but hopefully you two can agree on the top three.

I bottled mine today. Since I have never submitted a wine, should I label it or just put a gold sticker on it?

As far as crap goes, I got a big surprise today when I gave it to my husband to taste and he said it was one of the best wines I have ever made. Now if it weren't for him marrying me, I would say the man has NO taste.

I bottled mine today. Since I have never submitted a wine, should I label it or just put a gold sticker on it?

As far as crap goes, I got a big surprise today when I gave it to my husband to taste and he said it was one of the best wines I have ever made. Now if it weren't for him marrying me, I would say the man has NO taste.

Label or not, your choice. Last batch were all labeled.

Since we could possibly have reds, whites, fruit wines, ports, etc. would it be possible to have serving recommendations? Ie: serve lightly chilled, room temp, etc.

Funny you should say that as that is what I am doing. I will put a sticker on mine, "serve slightly chilled".

And since Dave is recommending we send a 750 to each, I will be blindly competing. I only made 1 gal. batches of a few different versions so haven't tried any of it yet. Let the chips fall where they may. :)

Gina

Is the frozen concentrate you use for your wine & use to back sweeten? I've wanted to try this type of wine for a while and wanted to make sure?

Dave

Grape Juice.jpg

Dave,
jamesngalveston has a recipe that uses the above Welchs you mention. And then you use it to backsweeten also. Pretty good if you like grape/peach.

DJ & DR. - Thanks for the quick response. I'm going to give this a try right after my 2nd batch of DB is finished.

Dave

So anyone with experience on how to ship these things? I am guessing all those in the competition will be receiving a P.M. with the judges addresses. I just don't know the regulations on this stuff....

So anyone with experience on how to ship these things? I am guessing all those in the competition will be receiving a P.M. with the judges addresses. I just don't know the regulations on this stuff....

Ups or fedex. No postal service. Ive always shipped UPS and packed it very well. I've never been asked what I was shipping.

Back