WMT (Unofficial) Welch's Wine Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been lucky enough to have a neighbor in a wine club who gives me all his wine shipping boxes. If you don't have access to some of those, pack it as safely as you possibly can and just for overkill pack all that into another slightly larger box and ship ups. No need to list contents.
Mike

I am always asked by my local UPS what the contents are and I state that it is marinade for steak and chicken. No problem with that.
Also, I have some empty paper rolls(tubes) from work(used with our 18" and 36" rolls of paper) and they work great for the 375ml bottles, as they are very heavy duty. I would assume a Kinkos, etc. may have some too.

I have used wine shippers from ulead before (not cheap), but for single bottles, I just over-pack like crazy, and double box if I'm worried. I even write "fragile" on the outside of the box---which might or might not make any difference to UPS, but it makes me feel better about it. The nice folks at my local shipping store are nice enough to never ask what's inside.

Don't ask, don't tell. Great policy! :b

I have used wine shippers from ulead before (not cheap), but for single bottles, I just over-pack like crazy, and double box if I'm worried. I even write "fragile" on the outside of the box---which might or might not make any difference to UPS, but it makes me feel better about it. The nice folks at my local shipping store are nice enough to never ask what's inside.

Don't ask, don't tell. Great policy! :b

That's pretty much what I do, pack extra careful with lots of padding. I also have a food saver so I make a food saver back in hopes that if there was breakage that the bag would not tear from the glass and would hopefully contain any liquid.

Oh, and in one of my previous posts...

I used the word "crap" with the utmost respect and affection for the abilities of my fellow (and femellow) wine makers. :i

I used the word "crap" with the utmost respect and affection for the abilities of my fellow (and femellow) wine makers. :i

Glad you clarified that. I was thinking I had signed up to drink sewage. :)

Oh, I can admit, mine is probably total crap!

I've gotta get this stuff bottled this weekend.

I'm still trying to come up with a snazzy name for it.

It's not going to blow anyone's skirt up, that's for sure, but I don't think it will make anyone gag. Well, I hope it won't anyway.
I just want some honest feedback from people who know what good wine is supposed to taste like.

I bottled mine a few days ago. But I'm stuck on a name too. I have serious writers block on this one.

This happened today. It doesn't taste ANYTHING like what I imagined/wanted, lol. Now I've just got to figure out a label and a name.

contest wine.jpg

I figure I might as well share the recipe, etc.

Now my inspiration was deep in the forest, faerie folk, etc. I missed the mark.

WMT CONTEST STARTED 11/24/13

12 cans red grape juice concentrate
2.6 OZ JUNIPER BERRIES
.6 OZ SWEET WOODRUFF, STEEPED IN HOT WATER
4 OZ ELDERBERRIES
2 tsp BENTONITE CLAY
2 tsp PECTIC ENZYME

1 tsp ACID BLEND
1.5 tsp TANNIN
1.5 tsp YEAST ENERGIZER
3 tsp YEAST NUTRIENT

water to a little over 3 gallons
enough sugar achieve SG TO 1.09

Montrachet yeast

racked to secondary 11/28/2013
added 12 oz raisins, another 4 oz elderberries

01/12 racked and added 1 oz oak chips and 1 lb currants

I racked again sometime in March but I didn't mark it down anywhere.
I still wasn't liking the flavor so I added about 1 T of Black Walnut extract and some simple syrup to try to bring out the other flavors.

It tastes overwhelmingly of grape juice with just a hint of the woodruff. Maybe it will get some age on it and settle down.

I agree with you Jeri on the aging and I hope the judges are used to tasting young wine. Mine is still in diapers and tastes like it.

Mine, too, ladies. It's no Dragon Blood, that's for sure.

I was going to wish all our contestant 'good luck', but I think that may be more appropriate for our judges!

Back