WMT (Unofficial) Welch's Wine Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started a Welch's wine a couple weeks ago. What is the deadline to get it to the judges? I'm thinking I could have it bottled in 2-3 weeks? Probably another week to ship. I don't know if it will be any good or not. Considering its my first try at it I'm guessing not.

Is this contest something you do every year? If so I'd like to get in on the next one for sure. I'd like some feedback on my wine from non biased people.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Mine will be sent out late this week. Hopefully they taste mine after they have tried quite a few so maybe their tastebuds are a little "numb" and forgiving. :)

I started a Welch's wine a couple weeks ago. What is the deadline to get it to the judges? I'm thinking I could have it bottled in 2-3 weeks? Probably another week to ship. I don't know if it will be any good or not. Considering its my first try at it I'm guessing not.

Is this contest something you do every year? If so I'd like to get in on the next one for sure. I'd like some feedback on my wine from non biased people.

We started this thing on a whim and continue at the same rate, Calvin. I've got some ideas up my sleave to get more people involved, so we may muddle on.

As for your Welch's, it sounds like you're a bit late. These need to be sent in this week, next at the latest. You could get in on the next one...

...spoiler alert: Get a Dragon Blood variation going!

Next up. Dragons blood. Thanks dave

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Ok, my boxes are packed, labeled and waiting for Mr. UPS to pick them up this afternoon. I used my own UPS account, not a shipping service and it cost $13.35 PER box. :sh That's more than I spent making the 3 gallons.

Next time I will send my "marinades" out via USPS Priority Mail. They make a shoe box that works great for about 1/2 the price.

Ok, Arne, winointraining, and the_rayway are out. The list dwindles. A good showing, though.

chasemandingo
dangerdave
Dend78
dessertmaker
dralarms
GreginND
Jericurl
jojabri
Kraffty
kryptonitewine
LoneStarLori
Rodnboro
wineforfun
wineon4

I have my chosen, and will be sending it out tomorrow or Tuesday (depending which day I make it to town).

There are some pretty innovative winemakers on that list.
I'm in trouble.

I'm having a hard time figuring how we're going to drink 14 bottles of wine in one day and still be able to function. Definately may involve a picnic. Guess I need to start planning the judging event...:dg:dg

I'm having a hard time figuring how we're going to drink 14 bottles of wine in one day and still be able to function. Definately may involve a picnic. Guess I need to start planning the judging event...:dg:dg

I've been wondering the same thing myself. I think I'l have 3 judges total.

For future contests, it may make more sense to use 375s. Cheaper shipping for the entrants too.

So sorry some appear not to have been able to make any good Welch's wine. It's not easy to do. The wine first plays mind games on you and psyches you out. The first mistake is in having such a low opinion of the wine ("What the hell - it's Welch's!") that the necessary effort is not expended.

There are a couple folks who started out in the contest who can save the day, though, if they are still in it and send in their bottles. I've tasted some of theirs!

:try

Oh yeah, 375s will not lower your shipping cost. I tried that, it makes about $1.50 difference or less.

Ok, again judges, since you are going to be consuming a substantial amount (14 bottles in one day), please make mine number 12. By that time, it is going to taste awesome. :)

I didn't go over the top on the label but my 375ml bottles are pretty cool.

A suggestion for the entrants. Please put your screen name somewhere so that the judges will know who deserves credit. If any other forum members are assisting with judging names will not be revealed until after all is said and done ..

I still think we should have a side competition for labels or appearance, it may not taste great but it can always look good.

I second that! It's like playing golf. Doesn't matter how you play, as long as you look good. (at least that's what my husband told me)

Are you wanting the screen name on the bottle itself? Or just somewhere in the package?

I just taped a piece of paper on the opposite side of my label with chilling instructions and D.J.(wineforfun).

Is now a good time to invite you all to join SWALI?

(The Society of Winemakers Against Lousy Ingredients)

We meet on Thursdays. Just let me know if you guys have any interest, and I will post a copy of the by laws.

Back