WMT (Unofficial) 2014 Port Wine Contest

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the judges should be autonomous in this. I'd have a hard time keeping my hands (and lips) off those bottles of port sitting around, if it were me.

If next weekend is good for Duster, then let's shoot for that. Two weeks of extra time is more than enough, IMO.

We appreciate the judge's patience in this. You guys are great! I mean that. I really, really do! Really! :hug

<you remember which bottle is mine, right?> :)

Next weekend is fine by me too.

Here's an idea.....I know our esteemed judges are of the highest integrity and are Master Porters of the highest order.....but what would you think of "blind" tasting? You could have a helper pour the wine for you, score all the wines, then have the helper reveal to you who belongs to which wine. What do you think gentlemen?

What? And turn a blind eye to the bribes
I'm ok with a blind judging if that's the way we want to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making Talk App

Just herd from Steve via email that he is "not" participating. Sorry for the confusion....I had the impression that he was going to send samples last week. Now, if we just find out about John, we should be good to go.

Sorry for any confusion - work has been extremely busy and we will be leaving in several weeks for the Grand tetons with the Boy Scouts for 7 days on the trail. So we have been practicing alot and family vacations and all.

I am still interested in the near future - please keep me updated as I am making a blueberry port this week !!

Sorry for the late response. I was indisposed for the last number of days (see post on Briggs, coming soon).

You have been MORE than fair in waiting for me. In fact, I would not have blamed you guys for not waiting at all. You have been VERY kind and accommodating. I am very sorry, but life has been tough lately.

My wife has been in Florida for the last three weeks. This leaves me to mind the ranch in addition to my full time job. She came back home last night, so life should get back to normal.

Sorry for the excuses and VERY sorry for making you folks wait. Please forgive me.

For those of us sitting on the sidelines, will the end result be a write up by the winemaker and then a compilation of the judges scores and comments? It would then serve the forum well, to allow us to learn what works well and why.

Good luck contestants!

Funny, John. That's what my Welch's wine tasted like. Disappointing.

Ok, here's the deal, y'all. John says he can send his out by the end of the week. I'm in no hurry, myeslf, but I know some of you are getting antsy. John assures me that we may proceed without ill feelings. I'm a patient man, so I say we continue to wait. Those ports aren't going anywhere. I'll have to defer mostly to our judges. They have the ports already, after all.

Let's get a consensus. What do the rest of you think?

I vote to wait

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making Talk App

I had an Aunt like him. We always had to tell her dinner was 2 hours earlier then it was just so we wouldn't have to wait for her! Really Johnt may have a legitimate health excuse. He does live in NJ., I bet he is just trying out which drum to pull from. :) I can wait!

011.jpg

I'm all for including as many people as we can. But I say, let's pick a date and do it and let the participants find a way to make that date. What happened to the other people who originally said yes then went dark?

I know, I know! This is supposed to be kinda laid-back, so another delay is akin to "hurry up and wait".

So, we wait...:ft

My port has been sitting in a carboy for 10 years. I suppose it could wait a couple more weeks. ;)

Folks,

All I can say is "Thank You".

My wife is back from Florida and I made sure to schedule NOTHING this week end. The port WILL go out Saturday. I will try to go for either the overnight or the 2nd day postage.

All of you have shown that you have class! I am so sorry for the long delay and really, really appreciate your patience.

16802d1405378845-wmt-unofficial-2014-port-wine-contest-011.jpg

Dan,

Is this the aftermath of the Welch's competition?

Back