Wine on a tight budget

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dizzy said:
pkcook said:
Have you tried the welches (walmart brand works too) white grape/peach? This has become my FAVORITE wine so far, and very cheap! I used 10 each 1/2 gallon Walmart white grape/peach and added 4 cans of Welches frozen concentrate. The peach flavor and noseis like fresh peaches! Out of the 30 bottles, I'm down to 4 bottles after drinking and giving it out to friends.

Another option that is reasonably cheap is the Oregon canned fruit wines! Walmart carries them as well as my on base commisary (I'm military). I've made blackberry and plum from these canned fruit. The blackberry was a port and I've not tried it yet and the plum is in the carboy as we speak.

Would you be willing to share your recipe ? What SG do you start with? What yeast do you use? Thanks

Dizzy,

Sorry for the delay in reply. Hear is the recipe that I used for my peach and everyone that has tried it loved it. I made 6 gallons and sweetened it in three different varieties: I left 5 bottles dry (this was OK, I prefer it at least off-dry), 10 bottles semi-sweet, and 15 bottles dessert style:

5-Gallons (10ea1/2 gal bottles Walmart brand) White Grape/Peach
4-11.5oz cans of Welches frozen White Grape/Peach concentrate(Note: Aldi carries there brand of this for $.99)
10 tsp-Acid Blend
6 tsp-pectic enzyme
6 tsp-yeast nutrient
6-campden tablets (optional, I didn't add till after first rack)

The 4 cans of concentrate really added the peach flavor to the wine. I had made a gallon of this and didn't use any frozen concentrate and did a taste test side by side and there was no comparison. The wine with concentrate added had an incredible nose and the flavor was very peach intense!

I didn't test the acid and would do that on my next batch. I did it by taste and it was fine.Edited by: pkcook

Forgot to mention that I used Red Star Premier Cuvee yeast on that batch and my SG started at 1.100. I'd lower that to 1.085-1.090 if I made it again. I'm finding that the higher alcohol level doesn't mean better wine!

Thank you, I have to buy 3 more bottles of the juice and the concentrate. I'll try and pick those up tomorrow and start it. I should have an empty carboy by the weekend, to be able to transfer it to. I have the Red Star Premier Cuvee, and Lavin 1116.I wanted to try the later with this, but willuse theRed Star.I'll start it @1.090 .Thanks again !<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>Edited by: dizzy

dizzy,

If you prefer the 1116, go for it. I chose the Cuvee for the low foam it produces. My primary was very full and I didn't want an eruption
smiley36.gif
!

pkcook said:
Forgot to mention that I used Red Star Premier Cuvee yeast on that batch and my SG started at 1.100. I'd lower that to 1.085-1.090 if I made it again. I'm finding that the higher alcohol level doesn't mean better wine!

I made a gallon of Cranberry wine from canned whole Cranberry this year. Starting SG was 1.080, the finished wine is wonderful at 9 months. My Banana that started at 1.100 is still way too hot at 9 months. I believe the lower alcohol level makes for a better balance of flavor.
Dave

I think most people starting off making wine opt for the higher alcohol wine with the idea of "more is better!" Some delicate flavored wines like a cranberry or peach would fair much better with a lower alcohol content to allow the flavor to come thru.

Well, I started the white grape/ peach @ 1.090. I pitched the Red Star and it never took off ??? So I made a starter last night with the 1116. It is going nuts now ! A steady stream of bubbles through the air loc. :) I used around 5.5 gallons of juice,4 cans of concentrate. It only took 4.5 cups of sugar to bring it to 1.090. Edited by: dizzy

using 2 diffrent yeasts in the same must does it hurt it or will it make it dry???
smiley5.gif

The stronger strain of yeast will take over but I dont think it will hurt anything.

The Red Star didn't take It must have been dead. I'm Sure the 1116 is the only yeast @ work. If there is any red star in there it won't hurt . The must can only ferment so much.

Dizzy,

Glad to hear the must started fermenting. I believe you will be pleased with this wine. I didn't use an acid tester on mine, but you should. Good luck!

Haveyou evertried holding back a can and adding when it goes into secondary? I wonder if this would help the flavor in the long haul.

If your starting SG was were you wanted to be than adding that can
might make it hot or you might end up with a sweet wine if your yeast
peters out early. Sorry Peter!

OGrav,

As Wade mentioned, as long as fermentation is ongoing adding additional concentrate (mostly sugar) will just raise the alcohol level (most wine yeasts will take a wine to dry at 1.080-90. You will get additional flavor, but higher alcohol as well. That is why I add the additionaly concentrate in the primary; the sugar in the extra concentrate canbe compensated for in the total SG (just add less sugar) and the flavor is boosted and thealcohol is kept at a reasonable level.

Yep, extra alcohol. I added three cans to five gal and ended up raising it 10/11 points and another percent abv. Not unexpected, but something to be aware of; especially if you're using a weaker yeast as you mentioned. On the other hand, somone wanting a really dry wine wouldn't want to boost flavor after fermentation with concentrate either. Always a trade off. The wines I have made so far have been in the 13-14.5% range. I think I would like totry a split batch with the same amount of fruit to see how the flavor is affected with different alcohol levels.

Finally opened up a bottle of the Dole Orange Strawberry Banana and its pretty good. Not the super flavors I was hoping for but as usual I wish I made more than a 1 gallon batch. This is why I just refuse to make these small batches anymore cause I still prefer this wine to most whites I would buy in a store but then again I never spend more then $15 on a bottle of wine!
23_1_138.gif

Latest posts

Back