Wine on a tight budget

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can upload them but when I go to post them I get an error,invalid
path message. Masta is working on this right now so if this is your
problem also, let him or me know and he or I will post the thr
resolution.

I talked to Wade over the phone and he sent me info on his issue and it appears it could be an invalid character in the file name that is trying to be posted.

Wade please copy the name of the Dole picture or other one you are trying to post and get the error message andI believe it will contain a character that the forum does notlike.

Forexamplesymbols like ' () and others.

On more troubleshooting it looks like it could be more of an issue on where the picture is located on the hard drive and MapPath doesn't like a character for the upload and is causing the issue.

Edited by: masta

pkcook said:
The Wally World near my home is a super wally and it has everything. I am making most of my country wine from concentrate these days. The raspberry, concord, and cherry that I've done recently have been done by concentrate.

WadeWade and pkcook, are the recipes for these "tight budget" wines forthcoming? I just started a Ocean Spray grape juice, cranberry etc mix myself. Pkcook, I'm up at Langley, you mentioned you were military.
LT

pkcook said:
Wade,

Keep us posted on the wines. I'm at a point in my career were high dollar kits are out of the question and low cost alternative country wines are the best I can do.

Have you tried the welches (walmart brand works too) white grape/peach? This has become my FAVORITE wine so far, and very cheap! I used 10 each 1/2 gallon Walmart white grape/peach and added 4 cans of Welches frozen concentrate. The peach flavor and noseis like fresh peaches! Out of the 30 bottles, I'm down to 4 bottles after drinking and giving it out to friends.

Another option that is reasonably cheap is the Oregon canned fruit wines! Walmart carries them as well as my on base commisary (I'm military). I've made blackberry and plum from these canned fruit. The blackberry was a port and I've not tried it yet and the plum is in the carboy as we speak.

I've learned that you don't have to put out a fortune to make a very drinkable country wine. Some are so good you don't want to share
smiley2.gif

Hi PKcook:

I was into Wal-Mart today for some frozen juice and I didn't see

the Oregon canned fruit wine. What section did you see it in?
Thanks Bill

It is not going to be fruit wine base. I think what PK was talking
about was the canned friut for topping off a cheesecake or pie filling
and it will not be frozen. They do sell concentrates like Welches
though in their brand name. It might only be in a super Walmart as I
have not checked yet. As far as the Oregon fruits go. Any grocery store
should sell this as it is what a lot of people use to make pies.

OGrav. I only post recipes once I have tasted them and they are good. I
wouldnt want every one buying this stuff and copying my recipe just to
find out that we all have gallons of crap fermenting. If it comes out
good I will post the recipe. Its still bubbling away although my
Welches Niagara is done fermenting and in its natural clearing stage.
So maybe soon I'll be posting that one although that is definetely not
an original. Just about everyone has made this one before with success
and theres probably a few recipes out there. Try Jack Kellers website
if you can not find it here.

Thanks wade:
I don't think that is what pkcook had in mind, I never heard of Oregon
canned fruit wine maybe it is aready make up in the dept.
bill

Anxious to see how your wine turns out using the canned fruit...Would love to try apple with some blueberry.
Think as long as it is pure fruit in juice and not pie filling with corn starch and sugar added to make it a pie filling, it should work fine.
I went towww.oregonfruit.comand it sure looks like the same company makes the purees for winemaking....guess the seeds are removed in the puree.
Keep us posted on how your wines turn out and then post your recipe....Edited by: Northern Winos

Linda0210,

The Walmart near my home carries the canned Oregon fruit. I've seen Red Raspberry, Plum, Pie Cherry, and Blackberry. Are are packed in natural juices.

I have used liquid concentrated Cherry, Raspberry, and the Concordjuices from this site: http://www.brownwoodacres.com/. I have been extremely pleased with the results. With both the Cherry and Raspberry wines I added some of the canned Oregon fruit to the primary. The concentrate really adds a "punch" of flavor after fermentation is complete and you are ready to back sweeten some. A Cherry wine did cloud a bit, but now that I've used Super-Kleer KC, I'll try it again.

OGrav,

I'm stationed at Wright-Patt. I'm getting ready to retire soon and will likely stay around here if the job hunting pans out.

I'll dig around and find the recipes. I am a tinkerer (is that a word?) with recipes. I start with a recipe and add what I think may enhance it. Some works, others don't
smiley9.gif
.Edited by: pkcook

Bill said:
Hi PKcook:

I was into Wal-Mart today for some frozen juice and I didn't see

the Oregon canned fruit wine. What section did you see it in?
Thanks Bill

The Walmart near here stocks them in the isle with all the other canned fruit (top shelf here), and they run about $2 a can.

wadewade said:
20061104_041237_canned_berries.jpg
20061104_041401_canned_plums.jpg
20061104_041446_canned_cherries.jpg

Go to Oregon fruits.com

That's the stuff Wade. They do add some sugar to the fruit, but this is the best canned fruit that I have tasted.

pkcook said:
OGrav,

I'll dig around and find the recipes. I am a tinkerer (is that a word?) with recipes.
I think the word is just tinker. Don't need the additional er on the end. But your version is far more fun to say! Everyone try it tonight after having some wine.
smiley5.gif

PolishWineP said:
pkcook said:
OGrav,

I'll dig around and find the recipes.  I am a tinkerer (is that a word?) with recipes. 
I think the word is just tinker.  Don't need the additional er on the end.  But your version is far more fun to say!  Everyone try it tonight after having some wine.
smiley5.gif

Then....what do you call a person who 'tinkers'?????

NW,

That was my angle
smiley36.gif
! I've only had one cup of coffee this morning.

pkcook said:
NW,

That was my angle
smiley36.gif
!  I've only had one cup of coffee this morning.

I remember some rhyme about a Tinker a Tailor and a Candlestick Maker...but that's all I can remember... I do remember some things....duh!!!'
smiley16.gif
Maybe it was a Butcher, a Baker and a Candlestick Maker....¿¿¿¿
Been up since 4 AM getting the hubby off to his deer stand....burrr!!! I am happy in the warm house... Edited by: Northern Winos

But when the smell of thatvenison roast is wafting thru the house, it will have been worth it all! Edited by: pkcook

It was , "The Barber and the Baker and the Candle Stick maker" you were obviously thinking about , "Tinker , Tinker, Little Star"
smiley36.gif

Back