Rubber bung won't stay put

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had the same issue... it helps to be sure everything is completely dry. As suggested, tried inserting the bung first then airlock, still creeps out, sometimes.

I've solved it with 2 plastic zip ties. I put one around the neck of the carboy, (fairly tight, but not completely tight) then using a "releasable" zip tie, thread it thru the one on the neck a couple of times and one end is about 180 degrees from the other, then close the zip tie up over the top of the bung, laying right next to the airlock. Being releasable it is easy to remove to pull the bung, stays in place, can be washed, and most importantly holds the bung in place. Have put it on all the carboys I use.

What handle are you making reference to?
The glass loop handle on the carboy. I only make 1 gal batches because I'm too small to wrestle with 5 gal carboys - I'm guessing the larger ones don't have that handle. But in my head I can still see my method working on a carboy without one, just twisting the wire along and down the other side, securing it around the neck instead of the handle.

The glass loop handle on the carboy. I only make 1 gal batches because I'm too small to wrestle with 5 gal carboys - I'm guessing the larger ones don't have that handle. But in my head I can still see my method working on a carboy without one, just twisting the wire along and down the other side, securing it around the neck instead of the handle.
Got it. I was thinking five or six gallon carboys.

I use the universal-style bungs. For me, they start out as you describe, so I proceed like @ChuckD recommends. Eventually, they "take a set" to the compressed position, and stop working their way out.
That has been my experience as well. New bungs are more slippery than older ones. Took a few days (with no tape), but they finally stuck.

Latest posts

Back