Wine on a tight budget

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20061104_165258_Dole.jpg

This is a picture that should have been in the very beginning when I started these 2 new batches. Masta and I have been trying to figure out why it wouldnt upload before and now it does. Havent changed anything and tried several times but at least I got it in.
Edited by: wadewade

Northern Winos said:
Ahhh...yes...it was Tinker, Tinker little star....I'll drink to that!!!

Would that be Tinkler, Tinkler little wino?
smiley10.gif

Bill said:
pkcook said:
wadewade said:
20061104_041237_canned_berries.jpg
20061104_041401_canned_plums.jpg
20061104_041446_canned_cherries.jpg
Go to Oregon fruits.com

That's the stuff Wade.  They do add some sugar to the fruit, but this is the best canned fruit that I have tasted. 

Blackberry Wine is one of the best wines we've made....Wonderful full bodied wine...great flavor...
We had awesome patches of them growing wild where we lived before....now have no access to any...
So...how many can's do you think you'd need to make a 5 gallon batch?????Or would it be more economical to buy some concentrate/puree from Fine Vine Wines....???? Seems the puree has no seeds to deal with.Edited by: Northern Winos

I was going to ask that same question NW because that sounds good and I
believe the Vintners Harvest wine base is about 35 bucks.

On all the wines I've made from the Oregon fruit, I've always used 4 cans per gallon.

Thanks Pk. I'll have to check it out and see if it adds up right to my
budget. You know see if it makes more sense to buy the can of Vintners
that I can make 6 gallons out of for about 34 bucks.

Edited by: wadewade

Wade,

I think you will find out that the larger cans will prove to be cheapest, but if you had to add shipping cost that might make it close. Also, I don't think the small cans have thevariety that the larger cans (made for wine making purposes).

One nice thing about the small cans is the opportunity to break up the purchases over a longer period of time. I would pick up a couple or three cans of Red Raspberry each time I shopped and I didn't really notice it. My good wife is not pleased in the least with this hobby, so small purchases are better
smiley9.gif

Edited by: pkcook

I hear you there. She sure likes to drink the wine once its made though.

pkcook said:
Have you tried the welches (walmart brand works too) white grape/peach? This has become my FAVORITE wine so far, and very cheap! I used 10 each 1/2 gallon Walmart white grape/peach and added 4 cans of Welches frozen concentrate. The peach flavor and noseis like fresh peaches! Out of the 30 bottles, I'm down to 4 bottles after drinking and giving it out to friends.

Another option that is reasonably cheap is the Oregon canned fruit wines! Walmart carries them as well as my on base commisary (I'm military). I've made blackberry and plum from these canned fruit. The blackberry was a port and I've not tried it yet and the plum is in the carboy as we speak.

Would you be willing to share your recipe ? What SG do you start with? What yeast do you use? ThanksEdited by: dizzy

dizzy said:
pkcook said:
Have you tried the welches (walmart brand works too) white grape/peach? This has become my FAVORITE wine so far, and very cheap! I used 10 each 1/2 gallon Walmart white grape/peach and added 4 cans of Welches frozen concentrate. The peach flavor and noseis like fresh peaches! Out of the 30 bottles, I'm down to 4 bottles after drinking and giving it out to friends.

Another option that is reasonably cheap is the Oregon canned fruit wines! Walmart carries them as well as my on base commisary (I'm military). I've made blackberry and plum from these canned fruit. The blackberry was a port and I've not tried it yet and the plum is in the carboy as we speak.
Dizzy I have looked for the Oregom canned fruit at walmart ( Super )
and can't find it with the canned fruit, were is it located? they had a very small selection of fruit.
also is that grape and peach frozen?
Would you be willing to share your recipe ? What SG do you start with? What yeast do you use? Thanks
thanks Bill

Well, I picked up 7 (3.5 gallons ) of the Sam's Choice white grape/peach In Dothan yesterday. That was all they had. I need to check the WalMart here to see if I can find some more. They didn't have the Oregon canned fruits, They had Great Value and Lucky Leaf . I'll check the one local to me tomorrow. I don't think I'm going to be able to locate it in the South.

Bill, I was asking for the SG , and Yeast myself. I had just quoted a post. Originally posted by pkcook

But, I can answer one of your questions, The White Grape/ Peach is on the Juice Isle. Look for Sam's Choice, It should be right next to the Welches.

Edited by: dizzy

They also had a White Grape / Cherry . I may try that in the future. I only have five carboys, and they are all full right now, with kit wines. I'm planing for the future :) . Edited by: dizzy

Keeping with the topis of wine on a budget, toady i got 7 1/2 pounds of sweet plums for $3 at the farmers market. here.I live near St. Louis and thought I would give the market a check. Now that I see what a bargain i can get, I will definitely be making a few runs ther next spring and summer. I can't wait till strawberries come in. with 7.5 pounds i am going to make a 2 gal batch, augmented with dark raisins. I will be looking at about $7 for 2 gallons.

Back