Why simple syrup?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcavan01

Reaction score
When it comes time to backsweeten why use simple syrup? Why not just add sugar? The added water will dilute the flavor somewhat. So far I have used plain sugar with no problems.

When it comes time to backsweeten why use simple syrup? Why not just add sugar? The added water will dilute the flavor somewhat. So far I have used plain sugar with no problems.

Others have their way of doing things. I'm with you. I have always just added granulated sugar and stirred really well.

I knows there have been members who just add the sugar to the wine and stirred well but to be honest I just don't see how you can do that. You would have to stir for a really long time and I still wonder if you get it all dissolved, Like Runningwolf, I'll take some of the wine and warm warm that up and solve the sugar into that.

I have strong arms, Julie! ;)
:) I love it Dave. As with most steps in wine making there are several different ways of doing things. Another common way of adding sugar in larger tanks is to circulate the tank with a pump and several hoses until all the sugar is dissolved.

In most cases do whatever you're most comfortable with, without jeopardizing the quality of your wine.

dangerdave said:
I have strong arms, Julie! ;)

Lol, oh see how you are! I have a chat with you and Deezil and right away you have to strong arm your wine. I'm curious, do you ever have any residual in the bottom of your carboy or do you have all the sugar dissolved inI the wine without any fallout?

plain sugar will melt and diffuse into the wine over time but if you want to test it after the addition with a little wait the syrup will help with this.

I use some of the wine, but I don't heat it up first.

i do like dan suggested....warming some of the wine and dissolve my sugar into it, but i use the stove top....

will it desolve?

DON'T BE SO SURE IT WILL ALL DEVOLVE AND BECOME IN TOTAL SOLUTION WITH THE WINE,ALOT DEPENDS ON THE STRUCTURE OF THE :wyWINE,TEMPERATURE ESPECIALLY AND THE VOLUME OF YEAST VERSES SUGAR,BALANCE IS REQUIRED THE COLDER THE WINE THE LESS SUGAR IS USED AND DESCENDS TO THE BOTTOM ,JUST WAITING FOR THE TEMP TO WARM UP AGAIN OR SOME ONE TO STIR IT BACK INTO SOLUTION,IF THIS IS A CAUSE ON :wyRE-FERMENTATION AS A RULE THEN WHY AID IT!:dg

IF THE SUGAR IS SATURATED ANTONIN LIQUID STATE THEN IT IS QUICKLY ABSORBED IN TO THE WINE,PARTNERS WORKING WITH EACH OTHER,LESS CHANCE OF STUCK INCREMENTATION AND BETTER ALCOHOL RESULTS FROM THE MARRIAGE, AND HENCE BETTER BALANCE,BUT THAT'S THE TECHNIQUE I USE:HB:b:dg

I think the easiest way to answer this is by making simple syrup. When you initially dump 2 cups of sugar and 1 cup of water into a pan, what do you get? A cloudy looking liquid with clumps of sugar at the bottom.

Now after heating that for a while what do you end up with? A completely clear liquid with no visible sugar as everything is fully mixed together.

Finally, picture both of those in your wine. Which would you prefer? In my mind it makes more sense to create the simple syrup as you are guaranteed to have it fully dissolved (clear with no sediment) right away.

Lol, oh see how you are! I have a chat with you and Deezil and right away you have to strong arm your wine. I'm curious, do you ever have any residual in the bottom of your carboy or do you have all the sugar dissolved inI the wine without any fallout?

I have done it the same way through dozens of batches of skeeter pee and fruit wines. I have yet to get any left over sugar in the bottom of my carboys. I only add the sugar after the wine is completely clear. I just like to keep things simple. "Add sugar and stir!" It don't get any easier.

All you have to do is stir until the sugar is completely disolved. :w

A completely clear liquid with no visible sugar as everything is fully mixed together.

That's what I get when I completely stir the sugar into my wine. "A clear liquid with no visible sugar". If I see sugar, I stir some more. It rarely takes more than a few minutes stirring, even with the sweeter skeeter pees where I might add 6 cups of sugar.

I'm not telling anyone that my way is better, or that making simple sugar is unnecessary. All I'm saying is that if you stir the sugar in completely, there is no issue of left over sugar in the carboy.

Someone once said here (I forget who it was) that stirring your wine thoroughly after adding anything is one of the most important practices a winemaker can adopt. I think it's right up there with cleaning and sanitation. I stir for at least 2-3 minutes for everything.

From Jack Keller's web site:

"Invert Sugar: The product of the hydrolysis of sucrose, which is glucose and fructose. Dextrose (an isomer of glucose) and levulose (an isomer of fructose) are obtained by the inversion of sucrose, and hence called invert sugar. Yeast convert invert sugar more rapidly than sucrose, such as simple cane sugar, because they do not have to break the sucrose down into glucose and fructose themselves. Invert sugar can be made by dissolving two parts sugar into one part water, adding two teaspoons lemon juice per pound of sugar, bringing this almost to a boil, and holding it there for 30 minutes (NOT allowing it to boil). If not to be used immediately upon cooling, this can be poured into a sealable jar, sealed and cooled in the refrigerator. Invert sugar should NOT be used to sweeten finished wine as it will encourage refermentation."

I usually make invert sugar (simple syrup) to adjust SG at the beginning of fermentation for the reason Mr. Keller states. It is easier for the yeast to convert it to alcohol. I have used both simple syrup and granulated sugar to back sweeten with the same result, clear wine with no residual sugar. I think it's exactly what Dave said, just stir the daylights out of it. With Skeeter Pee, I always use granulated sugar. With other wines, it just depends on whether or not I have any simple syrup already made up and stored in the fridge. The stuff will keep almost indefinitely in the fridge, a gallon jug just takes up a lot of space.

Greg

I think the easiest way to answer this is by making simple syrup. When you initially dump 2 cups of sugar and 1 cup of water into a pan, what do you get? A cloudy looking liquid with clumps of sugar at the bottom.

Now after heating that for a while what do you end up with? A completely clear liquid with no visible sugar as everything is fully mixed together.

Finally, picture both of those in your wine. Which would you prefer? In my mind it makes more sense to create the simple syrup as you are guaranteed to have it fully dissolved (clear with no sediment) right away.

You get the same thing when you use a cup of wine! You have a "fully dissolved (clear with no sediment) right away" when using wine. You would never see a cloudy wine or sediment in any of my wines, same with Dan's. The reason why some of us prefer to use the wine instead of adding more water is we have our wines where we want them, we just want to sweeten them up a bit. If you like sweet wines, then you need to understand you are going to be puttiing more than one cup of water/two cups of sugar into your wine. This will dilute the mouthfeel, the acid and ABV. I'm not saying not to do it with simple syrup, a lot do it that way and make some dyamite wines, but just make sure you do not add alot of water trying to get the sweetness you are comfortable with.

not the same

kellers does theirs the same way I do mine,with out the added lemon juice,we each have our own way,and what ever works for you ,works for you,2 t 01 blend works desolved in boiling water,what this also gives you is a smoother mouth feel ,do to the fact it's in a viscus state.espesially if your going to use it to backsweeten,if your adding inverted sugar to the wine to boast alholol levels,the transition for the yeast to make is quicker ,always remember temp. plays a huge roll in this process....:se

I'm curious, do you ever have any residual in the bottom of your carboy or do you have all the sugar dissolved inI the wine without any fallout?

That's why I use simple syrup. I heat the wine (about a cup and a half) low and slow while gently stirring. It dissolves well and is completely clear before I introduce it to the carboy full of wine. No residue for me by going that route.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back