What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The transferring of some fermenting wine from one hot-pack to the other didn't work. So I called in the neighbor (the expert, Larry) and we siphoned off a gallon and put some red star Premier Cuvee to restart it. But this time the yeast was just added and some nutrient, we just added the yeast dry into the jug. I've already got bubbles! I'm so happy now. And we siphoned off a different gallon and Larry put in Champagne yeast and his has started too. I'm thinking that maybe I had two bad yeasts when I started or maybe the nutrient I got wasn't very good? I think I deserve a glass of wine now..... 8)

That's much better now.

Last edited:
Planted the garden today, then decided to bottle the Rhubarb wine so I could make some room for the Amarone which I am degassing right now. Forgot the water on while I was doing that so it got about 4 hour of water! Multi tasking: sometimes it works other times................

poured 1 gallon jug back into hotpack, just waiting for movement. The jug was bubbling once every 5 seconds.

Went to a couple of small wineries near my parent's house, one of them just opened a few weeks ago, another has only been open a few years. It's been interesting watching the evolution of this winery. We've gone there once or twice a year, and they are still changing the way they do their wine, so it's fun to taste the same wines year after year, and seeing the difference in taste when they change what they do. I was disappointed however, last year I LOVED their frontenac, the left it at 2.5% residual sugar and it was on the dry side. This year they raised it to 3.0% residual sugar and it was way too sweet for my taste. Every time we go, we see the new equipment they have gotten too, they love telling us all about it! :)

Got all my wine bottled between yesterday and today. 48 gallons in all. They dont have labels and wont for awhile as I just dont have the money for label inc but at least its boxed and ready for the move!

The one gallon I took out and added yeast and nutrient. I put back in Sunday and now its bubbling real good. I thought I was gonna loose it. The other gallon I took out I'll put back this weekend.

I'm glad you got that wine going, Bob. I have been amazed, myself, at the wines I thought wouldn't make it, that turned out very good. It's almost like the wine is testing you. If you hold out, and make it work, you will be richly rewarded! Patience is the number one ingredient.

I'm ramping up my summer wine production. Thank goodness my lovely wife enjoys the cheap sweet kits. I've got Green Apple Riesling and Raspberry Merlot ready to bottle at any time, and my first ever batch of Original Lemon Skeeter Pee (thanks, Lon!) I call "littLEMONkey". Since I got two more kits coming from the awesome Northern Brewer two-for-one sale, things will be cranking in the Lab for a while. While I'm waiting for my kits to arrive, I'm going to whip up two more batches of Dragon Blood for the 4th of July cookout. I should have six-to-eight varieties of wine for my guests to enjoy this year. Bunch of winos!!!

Y'all have an awesome day! I have to go move the pool table---my mother gave me---this morning into the ManCave!!! Snooker anyone? :br

I have definitely found that the wines that give up the biggest fight have always come out the best! It's worth it, don't pitch it! :)

I have definitely found that the wines that give up the biggest fight have always come out the best! It's worth it, don't pitch it! :)

I'm SO banking on that philosophy now. ALL the Bello Chilean whites i got from L''uva Bella have a strange taste I can't put my finger on. I'm hoping time will take care of this but as of right now, I'm not completely satisfied. I'd call L'uva Bella but what would I say? "they all have a weird taste"? That's like telling your auto mechanic your car is making "A NOISE" ;)

And now we wait:ft

Planted the garden today, then decided to bottle the Rhubarb wine so I could make some room for the Amarone which I am degassing right now. Forgot the water on while I was doing that so it got about 4 hour of water! Multi tasking: sometimes it works other times................

Multi-tasking is the ability to mess up multiple things at once. :D

So sorry for your loss, Nikki. Hang in there and look for better days ahead. I know it's easy to say from this end of the world, but cling near to your closest companions for strength during hard times. Prayers sent for you.

Blew like Hell yesterday. I can't believe its snowing again!!! on the 5th of June. They predict hard frosts for the next two nights. I hope it doesn't damage my fields!!

Blew like Hell yesterday. I can't believe its snowing again!!! on the 5th of June. They predict hard frosts for the next two nights. I hope it doesn't damage my fields!!

snow???....in nevada???....on june 5th???....wth???....and i thought we had strange weather here in michigan.....wow....good luck, lloyd....

Thanks DangerDave and SarahRides, I was thinking too that it'll be the better of the two. The green apple and raspberry sound good. Might try then in the next couple batches. Thanks!

I racked my Barbera and Petite Syrah last night. Very good early aromas. Added 2 staves of medium plus toast american oak to the Barbera and 1 stave of medium toast american to the Petite Syrah for now. This was my 1st racking since the begining transferring to secondary. Post racking I still ended up with 6 full gallons of each.

I racked my Barbera and Petite Syrah last night. Very good early aromas. Added 2 staves of medium plus toast american oak to the Barbera and 1 stave of medium toast american to the Petite Syrah for now. This was my 1st racking since the begining transferring to secondary. Post racking I still ended up with 6 full gallons of each.

What staves are you using? i could on;y find stave chips. I've heard staves are a lot cheaper than spirals and such.

Thanks, Steve

Picked about 28 pounds of strawberries today. The perfect weather, cool and overcast! They are just getting ripe. There were a lot of berries out there that looked like they will be perfect after a few days in the sun. A few more trips and I will probably have enough for all my fermentables this year! :) Planning on making another chocolate strawberry port, Peach Strawberry and Strawberry wines this year. :)

Fixin some slate on the library in Homestead. No one makes wine here or what, not a LHBS in sight.

Apparently the winemaking bug is communicable, my cousin has gotten himself a complete used equipment kit on the super cheap (free) and is working on picking up an ingredients kit ASAP. He said maybe I should start two kits if it takes that long, "Oh boy, we got another one." I'd expect he is here before too long.

Last edited:
Fixin some slate on the library in Homestead. No one makes wine here or what, not a LHBS in sight.

Apparently the winemaking bug is communicable, my cousin has gotten himself a complete used equipment kit on the super cheap (free) and is working on picking up an ingredients kit ASAP. He said maybe I should start two kits if it takes that long, "Oh boy, we got another one." I'd expect he is here before too long.

You pretty much have your choice of Monroeville or Greentree for a LHBS. South Hills Brewing supply.

Back