What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya I like SHBS just fine, the Waterfront would be a great place for a brew super store. I was just killin some time, checking on local brew stores has just become second nature now.

Just back to work from a Patriot Guard mission. Hero down means kickstands up.
Thank you to all of our service members past and present.

Added the last of the pulled off Fredonia (2nd gallon) as it was bubbling also. Now everything is bubbling, the Catawba and the Fredonia. It's just a waiting game again..... Wait! We have a problem, I think my world is ending....... I just found a knat (small fly, bug) in one of my bungs and another one flying around me. Got the flying one and now the other. Just in case I have to be careful in case there's another one flying around. We got a fan going to help keep the others away (still don't see any). Remember the movie, Indiana Jones replaces the crystal with the bag of sand? That's how we replaced the bungs..... success........... 8)

Oh wait, I'm still waiting. I don't think I'm impatient but this is taking way too long.

Vacation at west beach Galveston with kids and grabdkids. I brought the wine. Son brought the booze. Son in law in charge of beer. Ladies handle meals and grandkids are providing entertainment.

Home from training and another company can say they are now safe. And some extra $$ to feed my wine addiction. Luna bella, save me a couple of buckets!!

Enjoying happy hour at beach in Galveston. Drinking 2010 Chateau Michaelena Valpolicella. It's delicious Mike. Not surprised though. You're a terriffic winemaker.

Went to Jim Lee's Wine and Beer Supplies in Olean, NY to pickup some yeast, rubber stoppers, air bubble lock, and those vacuum cork things. And somehow ended up with a wine kit of Blackberry/Merlot (gosh, this stuff is good). 8)

Will start this one in the morning. And will add 4 pounds of sugar to the fermenter for a sweet wine with about 12% alcohol. Might have to buy new carboys. Can't find any that people want to give away to a good home.

Last edited:
Looking at an acreage today. Has a great cold room. It is huge! Will hold all my wine and still have room for lots of canning and veggies etc. :>

Just got done back sweetening the latest batch of Skeeter Pee. I bottled the Cranberry Lime yesterday and took a bottle to the Pre-K teacher's picnic. It was a hit to say the least. I need to rack the peach wine, may head down and do that while I wait for my sone before going to the range. Sounds like a plan.

Heading out to the range this am for an hour or so. Taking my neighbor who has never been shooting before. Should be a good time. After that may pull out the bike for a ride.

Well, the day at the range was a great success. My neighbor had a great time. Between myself, him and my son we put about 500 rounds down range. Neighbor was hitting the target every time after the first 15 rounds or so. He's looking forward to the next trip. Now I need to find my gun cleaning kit so I can clean everything up.

After we got home I went in the pool with my 5 y/o and my wife. Perfect end to the weekend. Time for a glass of catawba and relax.

Mango Season

Tis the season to be jolly here in Costa Rica as this is the peak of the mango season. Just finished peeling and deseeding a bunch of mangos and put 22 lbs. cleaned mangoes in the freezer. Have enough imported Italian concentrate coming in to make 24 gallons cabernet sauvignon and 12 gallons sauvignon blanc. Running out of equipment and will need to wait until the grape concentrate are ready to bottle before I make the mango.

Mike

another day of work, then a home visit from the department of human services....gf and i working on getting liscensed as foster parent parents in hopes of getting her young "nephews", which she raised for the first few years of their lives until her ex left her, and his 2 boys, and she couldn't do it by herself anymore....they've had a messed up lofe so far, so hopefully we'll be able to get them now and finally provide a normal, stabile environment.....in lieu of this visit, and possibly getting the boys, i had to move my wine making operation to my parents house yesterday....luckily they only live about 5 minutes away from us....these 2 young boys are actually her ex's nephews, but their whole family has all kinds of problems, so there's really noone there that can care for them...my gf is listed an "a fin of kin", or something like that and if we get them, they will avoid actually going into the system and living with someone who truly isn't family....everyone please keep these little ones and us in your thoughts and prayers, and wish us luck as these poor innocents deserve the chance to have a normal family life....

The slightest little positive influence can have such a strong effect on the person they will become, I hope the best for you guys and the kids.

I do wish you luck, Ken. And what great people you two are to take on this responsbility. My thoughts and prayers will be with you.

thank you very much....all the positive thoughts everyone has expressed, could in turn has a positive outcome....thanks for the energy....smile....i really appreciate it.....

g8keeper said:
another day of work, then a home visit from the department of human services....gf and i working on getting liscensed as foster parent parents in hopes of getting her young "nephews", which she raised for the first few years of their lives until her ex left her, and his 2 boys, and she couldn't do it by herself anymore....they've had a messed up lofe so far, so hopefully we'll be able to get them now and finally provide a normal, stabile environment.....in lieu of this visit, and possibly getting the boys, i had to move my wine making operation to my parents house yesterday....luckily they only live about 5 minutes away from us....these 2 young boys are actually her ex's nephews, but their whole family has all kinds of problems, so there's really noone there that can care for them...my gf is listed an "a fin of kin", or something like that and if we get them, they will avoid actually going into the system and living with someone who truly isn't family....everyone please keep these little ones and us in your thoughts and prayers, and wish us luck as these poor innocents deserve the chance to have a normal family life....

I hope that all goes well and you get the two boys into your home. It is good to hear of people like you and your gf that are willing to step up to the plate. A stable, loving home can make a world of difference in young peoples lives and those that are close to them.

Best of luck to all. . .

Brian

I hope that all goes well and you get the two boys into your home. It is good to hear of people like you and your gf that are willing to step up to the plate. A stable, loving home can make a world of difference in young peoples lives and those that are close to them.

Best of luck to all. . .

Brian
thank you, brian....yes, getting these boys would mean a lot to my gf....she thought of them as her own, and hated when she had to give them up before after her ex left her with the 4 kids altogether and a mortgage, all on a fixed ssd income....since then the boys have been bounced around from about 3 or 4 different "homes", not knowing whether they r coming or going....i also have grown attached to them, and they have already developed a bond with me during those periods where my gf was babysitting them from time to time...it's kinda cute....lol...it got to the point at times where if they weren't listening, my gf just threatened to call me while i was at work if they didn't do what they were supposed to, and they straightened right up....all that without me ever raising a hand to them....lol..just giving them a time out is all i had to do, and of course raise my voice just to show i meant business....lol...it was cute at times when she had to come up to my work and she'd bring them with her....they'd see me and their little faces just lit up....they'd come running up to me and give me hugs....i'm hoping that if we get them they'll have a chance at normal lives finally....and if their parents rights ever get completely terminated, it's already been noted that my gf would like to adopt them...i've never had any kids of my own, but i like to think i helped to raise my ex's 2 boys from the ages of 7 and 11 til they were 15 and 18, and now have been helping my gf to continue to raise her boys, now 15 and 17....my ex's oldest son has continued to have a relationship with me even after his mother left me and next month, is going to make me a grandpa at the "ripe old age" of 41....lol...but yes, it would be nice to make a difference in these young ones lives, considering they are only 4 and 5....once again, thanks for the well wishes....they do actually bring a little tear to my eye...

Good luck with everything Ken, Kids need a caring environment when they are growing up. You and your GF deserve for everything to go in your favor. Not many people would be willing to step up and take the responsibility the 2 of you have agreed to.

Back