What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it is a just Ford Expedition. Its an enclosed truck! I am leaving tomorrow morning in it to go get grapes finally!

Driving to SA to visit with family then on to the Mecca and FVW next Friday to pick up 700lbs of (hopefully not moldy) CA grapes from George!

Whoo Hoo!

You have a truck too and not just a bunch of sports cars?

Last edited:
Had a great time today. Picked up 2 catawba, 1 niagra, and 1 concord. It was good seeing Dan, all this work he looks as though he lost some weight. Need to get some food in you when you're working those 16 hr days. Came home from all that and went to a bon fire. Just got home now.

Down 25 pounds, you're right.

Well it is a just Ford Expedition. Its an enclosed truck! I am leaving tomorrow morning in it to go get grapes finally!

Driving to SA to visit with family then on to the Mecca and FVW next Friday to pick up 800lbs of (hopefully not moldy) CA grapes from George!

Whoo Hoo!

Mike we aslo got our CA grapes this past week. Cutomers line up before 8 am to get them. We have an amatuer pad for customers with a crusher/destemmer and a large bladder press they can use for free when they buy grapes from us.

This is the pad...

IMAG0131.jpg

I had a small press to do for some young wine and used the same press. Picture of grapes after pressing..

IMAG0140.jpg

Grape skins being returned to the vineyard after a couple of presses on the three ton press.Trailer in the background is loaded with 10 500 gallon tanks that we store juice in for customer sales.

IMAG0138.jpg

Last edited:
Great pics Dan. That was the first time I've ever been to presque isle. Nice operation and very cool to drive through all the vinyards lining the road.

Wade, we'll be thinking about your wife. Hope all works out for you and your family.

Hey cool pics! Thanks for posting those. What do the rice hulls do exactly?

WOW good eye, how did you know what they were? We use them on the big press also. They help to keep the skins from binding on the sides of the press to help let the juices flow. They also pierce the skins extracting more juice. They improve internal drainage and make the grapes less slippery and less likely to shoot out through the slats during pressing.

What Doug did not say was it was hard driving thru all those with all those grapes still on the vines. It as hard not stopping and just start picking, I was surprised on how much grapes were still on the vines.

Julie those could be more of the red's that will be ready this week. Also lots of concords out there yet being picked for Welches which is only a few miles away.

WOW good eye, how did you know what they were? We use them on the big press also. They help to keep the skins from binding on the sides of the press to help let the juices flow. They also pierce the skins extracting more juice. They improve internal drainage and make the grapes less slippery and less likely to shoot out through the slats during pressing.

I just saw those pics and spotted that also. For whites, I keep the stems at destemming and put a few layers of them down in the press. They also help create channels for the juice to fun out better. I figure I can speed up pressing and get about 10 percent more juice just by using them.

Today was the wife and my 35 wedding anniversary so we took a road trip up to Devils Nest ( hide out for Jesse and Frank James ) while we were up there we came across a small vineyard going to try and get hold of the owner then we went out for supper

Just finished up replacing the roof on my garage. One side was done the other wasn't. 2 square of shingles, started about 8 this am. Heading to home depot to return extra bundle of shingles then not sure of the project for the afternoon. May do something a little less strenuous like put up the 40' ladder and scrape the loose paint from the icedams 2 years ago. RUnning out of good weather soon.

Played 18 holes at Southpointe Golf Club. The course record was never in jeopardy.

well met with bigswol2 this morning and he got him 4 good buckets of noble muscadines he left a happy camper i think..lol

So I have had a busy weekend so far! Drove to Walker's yesterday and spent way too much money, stayed overnight in Fredonia. Then today went to the 21 Brix Winery, Southern Tier Brewery then Presque Isle Winery, then on to my brother's in the Cleveland area..........looking forward to taking it easy tomorrow! :) Also glad not to be in my home state this weekend with about 10" of snow predicted! I'm just hoping it'll all be melted by the time I drive back home again Monday. :)

Started 3 new batches of wine today, made 3 gallons of simple syrup to sweeten a few batches of wine and also to finish making some Limon Cello. I also just finished Snow blowin 8 1/2" of snow!!!!!!!

got up after 4 1/2 hours sleep drove out to Mason City Nebr. got to watch the last few minutes of the Huskers beat Michigan was very happy yet surprised was not expecting that drank a lot of good wine and an excellent wine with my brother in law

So I have had a busy weekend so far! Drove to Walker's yesterday and spent way too much money, stayed overnight in Fredonia. Then today went to the 21 Brix Winery, Southern Tier Brewery then Presque Isle Winery, then on to my brother's in the Cleveland area..........looking forward to taking it easy tomorrow! :) Also glad not to be in my home state this weekend with about 10" of snow predicted! I'm just hoping it'll all be melted by the time I drive back home again Monday. :)

Sarah what did you get at Presque Isle? Did you ask for a tour? Sorry This was my only day off. I am hoping to hit Walkers next weekend for some Diamond and Valvin Muscat. I'll have more time now that Harvest is officially over.

Latest posts

Back