What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will be heading for Sioux City Iowa in a little while have to take wife to see a surgeon hope I can go out hunting this evening

I keep seeing where it seems like all of you soak the labels off your bottles. Don't any of you ever just peel them off I know I've done alot of bottles and just about all have been fairly easy to peel off, I know there is a few that you about have to get wet and soak some but just seems easier to peel them off to me. Normally glue and all comes off easy as pie, just something I've noticed.

Will be heading for Sioux City Iowa in a little while have to take wife to see a surgeon hope I can go out hunting this evening

Good luck to your wife I know docs can be a pain to deal with. Oh and good luck on hunting if you get to go.

I keep seeing where it seems like all of you soak the labels off your bottles. Don't any of you ever just peel them off I know I've done alot of bottles and just about all have been fairly easy to peel off, I know there is a few that you about have to get wet and soak some but just seems easier to peel them off to me. Normally glue and all comes off easy as pie, just something I've noticed.

i get most of my bottles from a friend that does huge catering gigs (Barber Motor Sports, Talladega, and such).
i have had some labels that soaking actually makes them harder to get off.
and some that HAVE to be soaked.
i didn't notice this until near then end of the last batch, but it also seemed that the labels on the whites were the "easier without soaking" ones.
i will know more after next time.

Pulled berries out of Elderberry primary and added to Elderberry Blush primary for a second run ... as much time/effort as goes into getting/processing these delicious little dudes, you gotta' get all you can out of them!!

Ya know... I have never just tried to pull the lables off. haha I guess I need to try that. I have 6 more cases waiting to delable so I have lots of that to look forward to and whatever is easy is what I am doing.. LOL Thanks for the idea!

Ive done both and can say that it seems to me sometimes if i soak them and clean them off i still have some residue from the glue.

(the way i soaked mine was to take a five gallon bucket and add a scoop of oxy clean i jam my bottles in so they hold each other tight, then add hot water till its up to the necks. I let them soak for a couple of hours then i have a metal scrubber pad "copper" and use that to clean the outsides. then rinse and clean the insides)

Most of the time anymore i just use a scrapper with a metal blade on the bottom and clean the labels off that way alot less mess. Then clean the inside and let drain. only ones i soak anymore are the ones that have some dried scum in the bottom and even then i just usually pitch them unless im running short.

A couple months ago Itsuko says she wants to make her sewing room back into a spare bedroom and change the exercise room back into a sewing room so I spent the day doing just that. Done. :w

I love the smell of fermenting elderberries! Racked elderberry to secondary. Collected slurry and remaining wine from the primary; slowly feeding skeeter-P base to it while cleaning up the mess.

Will be removing the second-run berries from the elderberry blush later.

Elderberry, elderberry blush and elderberry P! The winery smells AWESOME!!!

As far as labels go, I used to soak them off but like you find it much easier to scrape them all off with a razor scraper. Thats the way I do it now.

well checked my frost grapes and they're at SG .999 guess it's about that time

Helped my brother take my oldest brother back home after a week of hunting with him then came home and started helping my wife clean the house a little before our kids come home for Thanksgiving.

Just saw Mom who is finally out of the hospital, now in nursing home. Our son flew up to see her and just dropped him off at the airport. GREAT day here. No wine activities today.

Between yesterday and today I racked 12 carboys, started 10 gallons of Apple wine with cinnamon, dug out family photo's from storage, rearranged all the Christmas stuff so my wife can find it next week and spent two hours at the emergency room because my grandson drank an energy drink and it got his heart to pounding (dumb ***!!! LOL),

Have to go back to work tomorrow to rest. :spm

Racked 8 gal peach wine over to secondaries, bottle up the slurry and refered. Started my first batch of skeeter pee (5.5 gal) & Skeeter Tea (5.5 gal).

Scored and awesome deal with the winery down the street. He has weddings and banquets there and they must use his wine, so ive got a source less then 2 miles from my house plus there all the same style bottles!!!:r

Last edited:
Marveling at how clear my peach is now.
i used SuperKleer and it didn't really help, so i figured it might be pectin.
Liquid pectic enzyme and a couple of days and WOW!

I'll probably thaw out the Nobles this weekend and get ready to start that batch next week now that I have an empty carboy.

???? I thought you'd had that going shortly after you all pressed them, so you froze your juice??

Back