What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just did the first rack of my peppermint candy cane wine and the half gallon of peppermint candy / Jalapeno wine. SG is 1.040 on both. Both are still working but could go a little faster I think. Maybe need to add some more nutrient?

Couldn't stand it any longer, had to taste it. The plan one taste just like a liquid peppermint candy cane. Very nice and should be a big hit. The other is a little weak on the peppermint candy taste and very nice heat wise. You can taste the jalapeno a little more than the candy. I may need to add some more candy in the end to bring that back around. Heat is just what you would expect from the jalapeno. You can tell you have a peppermint fire in your mouth but it's not overwhelming. Both will make a very good novelty sipping wine but I wouldn't want to try and get a major buzz on with either of these, although I think it may slip up on you if you aren't careful.

I'm thinking @ candy cane wine. Can you post the recipe?
How does it taste so far?

I'm thinking @ candy cane wine. Can you post the recipe?
How does it taste so far?

I think it's pretty yummy! Taste just like a liquid candy cane.

The recipe I used for the candy cane I found on here. It was posted last year. I didn't have an Lalvin yeast so I used Red Star Pasture Red. Hope that doesn't mess anything up. I also used 120 medium sizes canes. They seemed small so I wanted to bump it up some. Oh, I also used one gallon of store brand white grape juice instead of all the water. I saw someone on here had done that previously to this same recipe and figured it couldn't hurt.

Ingredients
60 candy canes (or more) - regular size
7.5 lbs sugar or SG to 1.090
3 gallons water
Lalvin EC-1118 yeast

Bring about 1 gal water to boil
Add candy canes till dissolved
Boil another 45 - 60 minutes (I only heated until dissolved)
Pour into remaining water
add sugar
rack after a week and again in two months

For the jalapeno, I used a half gallon of the above and then added about 20 slices with seeds.

ROFLMBO!!!

Well, thanks to Tom, I just looked at the original recipe again. Turns out, the peppermint candy cane recipe didn't call for any yeast nutrient initially which may explain why it seems to be going slow now. Just pitched 3 tsp into the carboy and the yeast are very happy now! Thanks Tom!;)

I'm getting ready to go pick up the new Ford Fusion I bought yesterday. (Doing my part to help the economy) The last new Ford I bought was a 1979 Ford Granada. The last Ford I owned was a 1990 Ford Probe. I sure hope Ford has improved their cars over the years.

I have been fleshing out the proposal for my latest Notheast SARE research grant. I have been studying training systems and canopy management in cold climate grapes for the last two years. As part of those grants I planted a new research vineyard of 432 vines split between 4 varieties. I have four training systems of each so there is three repetitions. I will be hopefully beginning data collection of harvest from those grapes so it is designed for two years of data collection.

As part of the process we need a technical advisor to consult with when we need. I have gotten an agreement from the leading researcher in cold climate grapes canopy management, etc at Cornell to act as my technical advisor. I look forward to working with her. Should I be awarded the grant this year, she would certainly bring a certain amount of authenticity to my research.

Ill be your advisor Rich :) yeah right!!!!!!! Today I did the lawn one last time, winterized all lawn equipment and pulled out the snowblower and pulled the plug out and airfilter and cleaned them and gapped the plug which was in good shape. Took the canopy down form the deck so a snow storm wouldnt trash the structure. Now Im paying for all that and ready to pop a pill! I need to go to Staples soon and get some ink so as that I can print some more labels before the wife and kids use it all up. I cant let them know when the ink is full!!!!!!!!

Went to South Hills Brewing and Supply to pick up some glycerin. Got a gallon for $49.00. The Muscadine from the Reds was a little thin in body and felt it needed something. Reading the forums glycerine was the option chosen. I added 5 oz for each 5 gallon batch. We'll see if that improves mouth feel. I do have to say that with the basement being in the mid 50's I noticed alot of the wines dropping acid crystals. The Muscadine being one of them. It was back sweetened to 1.010 yesterday. Very good flavor that will only improve with time. I'll report back on mouth feel later after a few more minor stirrings.

Thats pretty much the going price for it at mosy LHBS's.

That's what I figured, not sure what I'll do with a gallon but, since I was going to be paying almost 1/4 of the price for less than an 1/8 of the quantity I bought the gallon. I'm sure it will get used up eventually.

That looks like a nice ride the last new one I brought was back in 1979 got me a Mercury Cougar

Ford has come out with some nice looking vehicles lately. Congrats on the new purchase. Ours won't be for another 2 years. My wife will get a new vehicle, I'll take her 04 Jeep Cherokee with 100+k on it and my daugher will likely end up with my 06 Jeep Liberty. I figure by then it will have about 65k on it. Somehow I ended up with the oldest vehicle in that deal, but, Oh well.

I need to start looking for a newer truck. My 96 Ranger has rusted pretty much out. The frame has been welded twice, rust coming out everywhere, gas tank held on with wire, brake lines keep rusing out and now last week coming home from the market, the rear spring shackle bracket disintegrated and the springs are up against the bed. I don't dare drive it anymore and it isn't worth fixing again. Now all I need is some money to get a new one........................

Taking a ride down to some friends camp this afternoon to visit. I don't hunt anymore but will enjoy seeing al the guys and sharing some wine. Got wife's blessing to order part of my xmas stuff from George today also (ph meter).

Back