Strolling in from the UK...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshcookie

Junior
Reaction score
Hello to you all!

My name is Dawn and I reside in Ely, Cambridgeshire originally from Wales.
I stumbled across this forum after being told to google DangerDaves Dragon Blood Wine recipe and figured it looks like an informative place for a beginner like me, so thought I might hang around!
I am a food fermenter and like to make vodka/gin/brandy infusions too, but feeling the need for another hobby...I mean once food is fermenting its a waiting game and I get bored 😂

I have got two 'practice run' demi johns on the go, just a simple 7 day strawberry wine kit to get my feet wet but couldnt resist starting a simple Mead as well, both seem to be doing well so fingers crossed.
I am now reading lots and collecting equipment, I was very lucky to find a local selling 5 demi johns for £10 after feeling a bit perturbed at the cost of new ones!

Anyway, DangerDaves Dragon Blood is printed off and im doing some math to adjust the amount...getting ready for the summer.

Thanks for having me!

Welcomes to WMT!

I mean once food is fermenting its a waiting game and I get bored
I have bad news for you -- bulk aging wine is the same deal. ;)

@BigDaveK solves that problem by starting at least 1 batch per week. [seriously]

Grape winemakers (in the northern hemisphere) typically make wine in the fall, and some in the spring from southern hemisphere grapes. Fresh fruits are seasonal.

However, frozen fruits are year 'round (and it's recommended to freeze fruit to break down for better extraction), as are wine kits. Depending on what you like, there are many options.

Welcome to the forum, Dawn.

In reading your initial post, I was taken aback when you said you purchased 5 demijohns for 10 pounds. Then I realized that "demijohn" has a different meaning here in the Colonies and normally refers to a 54 liter glass bottle held in a plastic or wicker basket. Still, $11.85 for 5 of anything used in wine making would be a bargain here.

We look forward to hearing of your progress. Take care.

Welcome to WMT!
I ferment vegetables also. Started with sauerkraut (of course) and never stopped.
This is a great place for information and friendly helpful people. I'm certainly glad I found it!
Sauerkraut and Kimchi are the reasons I started to ferment! It's very expensive to buy the 'good stuff' here, I got tired of shelling out loads of cash and gave it a go and never looked back....I know I'll be the same with this venture too!

Sauerkraut and Kimchi are the reasons I started to ferment! It's very expensive to buy the 'good stuff' here, I got tired of shelling out loads of cash and gave it a go and never looked back....I know I'll be the same with this venture too!
Ah, yes I love my kimchi! In fact last year I grew my own gochugaru peppers primarily for kimchi.

Both hobbies require patience, certainly, but vegetable ferments are measured in weeks and wine making is measured in months....or longer. But the satisfaction and flavor for both is worth it.

Latest posts

Back