Tropical Daze

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, mine doesn't seem so great. :ft I followed the recipe exact...started on 3/10 with an sg of 1.084. On 3/15 sg was at 0.993, so I racked to a car boy. It's just been sitting there, and I was thinking it was time to rack it off the lees, so tasted a little. It smells and tastes VERY oaky. Is there any thing I can do? should I try and back sweeten? flavor pak? or the dreaded patience?? Thanks for the help. I do taste a little of the fruit, but not much, just oak.

:a1 any one out there

Hi I believe the member who created this recipe is no longer here... But I will say that I did not find too much oakiness however I didn't use any spirals. Only oak powder in primary and cubes in secondary. The only remedy I know about over oaking is possibly waiting for it to mellow. Or blending in a bit more wine of a similar type. Or make a smaller batch of TD without all the oak and blend it in?

fabrictodyefor you just started this a bit over two weeks ago. Don't expect it to taste like a finished product so quickly. Yes, with any added oak you do need a good dose of patience. Also note that not everyone like oak, so if you are one of them, either stay away from recipes that add it or just don't include it in your wine. Finish the wine up and give it a good dose of time. You may like it much better in a few months.

Thank you for the replies. I've used oak with a few other wines, but it was never as overpowering as this. I didn't know Pumpkinman was no longer posting....I'll miss his knowledge. I'll practice my patience, thanks

Mine is excellent and I'm patiently waiting for summer to crack some open... I did forget to mention that unused 2 cans of concord concentrate for colour in mine and it's a lovely peachy colour.

Mine is excellent and I'm patiently waiting for summer to crack some open... I did forget to mention that unused 2 cans of concord concentrate for colour in mine and it's a lovely peachy colour.

I'm curious. Did you compensate for the grape by decresing the sugar, or other ingredient???
Just pitched the yeast on my first batch this AM. Smells good and tastes better. Hope it is in the bottle for our 50th wedding anniversary in July.

No I did not... My starting SG including the concord was 1.090 and my final abv was about 13.5% just a reminder that I also added 6 bananas to the primary along with the fruit and this is smooth!

Yes it should be able to be bottled almost as quickly as dragon blood. It is a tad slower but you should easily have it bottled in about 6-8 weeks tops depending on what finings you use if any.

What does everyone do for back sweetening? What's your gallon/sugar ratio for this recipe?

That is a VERY subjective question. Everyone will do something different, according to their likes/dislikes.
I think a good starting point would be 3/4 c per gallon or 4 1/2 c per 6 gallons, and go from there.
Make sure and take a SG reading after adding sugar so you know in the future how much to add to reach your desired sweetness.

As D.J. said I use 4.5-5 Cups of sugar per 6 gal. batch. I shoot for a med. sweet. It is what most people seem to like that has drank my wine. They tell me the sweetness is perfect.

Will

Thank you for the recipe. Just started a batch and wow this is fermenting very fast! Temperatures have been in the 80's around here, started on 6/11 at 1.092 it is now 6/15 at 1.022.

This is the first time iv used Lalvin 71B-1122 & ICV D47. After 6 days of very active fermentation,started on 6/11, it seems to have really slowed the last two days. On 6/17 my SG was just barely above 1.000 and on 6/18 I was just barely below 1.000. I typically use EC-1118 and let it ferment down to ~.993, will the Lalvin 71B-1122 & ICV D47 blend get that dry? Should I just consider the primary finished and rack to secondary?

This is the first time iv used Lalvin 71B-1122 & ICV D47. After 6 days of very active fermentation,started on 6/11, it seems to have really slowed the last two days. On 6/17 my SG was just barely above 1.000 and on 6/18 I was just barely below 1.000. I typically use EC-1118 and let it ferment down to ~.993, will the Lalvin 71B-1122 & ICV D47 blend get that dry? Should I just consider the primary finished and rack to secondary?

Danger Dave recommends checking each day till you get the same SG reading 3 days in a row to make sure your wine has really stopped fermenting. My last batch I got .990 3 days in a row. I knew then it was done fermenting. Hope this helps.

Will

I'm thinking of trying this recipe and I'm wondering who has had successes with it? Do most of you follow the recipe exactly? Or have some of you come up with a favorite variation? Thanks for any input!

I just started a batch similar to this recipe, not quite exact. I used a combo of lemon and lime juice instead of the pineapple juice. Added no acid blend, although I may through some in tonight, along with some raisins.
I went with 6 lbs. of fruit(I am making a 2 gal. batch) so quite a bit more than this recipe.
Not sure if I will add oak now or wait until later. My thought was to oak 1 gal. and not oak the other.
And I went with just EC-1118 yeast.
SG 1.090.

I had made a batch of something similar to this a couple years ago that turned out well. It was actually listed on Danger Dave's DB thread. It was called Tropical Daze.

I have all of my fruit and everything together now and I'm planning to put mine together tonight. The recipe I saw originally was on the Dragon Blood thread.

Back