Tropical Daze

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carolyn, the color is exactly the same as mine, and I normally make an 8 or 9 gallon batch as well...lol Great minds think alike..LOL!
If you make risotto, or add wine when making chicken or pork, this is the perfect wine, it is slightly sweet, this adds a really nice mellow flavor to the dish.

Thanks so much! I'll definitely try that!! I felt that I didn't even have to backsweeten it. Like you said it's perfectly on the off dry side nice and light and a touch of citrus. Even though there is no citrus. It must be the pineapple influencing the flavour this early in the game. What's your experience with it as far as flavour profile?

Carolyn

After approx. a year, it starts to take on a delicate flavor that is almost like an lightly citrus infused Pinot Grigio.

Wow very nice! I'm hiding at least 6 bottles! And I'll be on making another batch again soon, gave my father a case of his own because he helped bottle today :)

Carolyn

Have you tried it with bananas? I added 6 to this batch and I'm just curious. How smooth is this typically after 1 month of aging? That's what it got in the carboy (secondary) maybe a week less. This is smooth and not hot at all!

Carolyn

That is awesome that your father made the wine with you, I can't think of a better way to celebrate the process than with family! He must have had a big ole smile on his face when you handed him the case full!
I didn't add bananas, but the fact that yours is smooth and not at all hot just proves that you have that batch of wine "dialed in" perfectly!
It will only get better with age!

Thanks :) yup actually Dad was grinning from ear to ear all day! He got to go home with that and 2 cases of Pinot Gris (he paid for the Pinot but let me have the rest for my (time). He kept saying, "this is so neat, and this is so much fun" I don't think he was clear on the fun side of it and the labeling process. He seemed like he didn't quite want to make the hour's drive to my place. But he left happy! He loved the tropical daze! :)

Carolyn

Carolyn,
Thanks :) yup actually Dad was grinning from ear to ear all day! He got to go home with that and 2 cases of Pinot Gris (he paid for the Pinot but let me have the rest for my (time). He kept saying, "this is so neat, and this is so much fun" I don't think he was clear on the fun side of it and the labeling process. He seemed like he didn't quite want to make the hour's drive to my place. But he left happy! He loved the tropical daze! :)

That is the greatest part about making wine! I wish I could share it with my dad, at least my mother has been living with us for the past year, I've made specific batches of wine for her, it is fun to see how much she likes the wine, she even helped me destem the grapes this past season!

Wow that is nice I get your drift! My mother passed away many years ago with Parkinson's. Dad was very unhappy for years. She was his best friend and soul mate. Glad I have one parent left to share my latest hobbies with. He brought me to and attended every horse show while I was growing up. Now I'm sharing something with him :D

Carolyn

Thank you! And I told him about all you guys who have taught me so much about the art of winemaking! Cheers to you all on this forum!!

Carolyn

I can't wait to try out this recipe. One question though cuz I'm pretty new.

Why did you have to heat the fermenter to 85 degree when everything is added? Does it help yeast ferment faster or better?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

You don't have to heat it to 85°, I highly recommend that you don't, what I posted was that the yeast will handle temps between 80°-85°.

Sorry, I guess I should have been more clear. I am just confused about why you will want to use the heat mat or the brew belt around the fermenter when everything was first added to achieve the 80-85 degree. Is there a reason for getting that temperature?

See quotation below:
"I let this sit overnight, with a heat mat wrapped around the fermenter, a brew belt would do too, just until it reaches 85°. "

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Is there something other than Go-Ferm I can use? I have to order most everything on line, and I can't seem to find one place that has both of the recommended yeasts and the Go-Ferm. Or if you can direct me that would be great. I have looked at Morewine, and ECKraus and Colorado Home Brew Supply. Midwest is really high on shipping and would rather not go there....I'm anxious to try this! I am not a fan of meads. If using the honey does it have more of a mead flavor? I know I can stick with the sugar, just asking! Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Due to my water pipes freezing I never pitched my yeast in my batch. I put the whole bucket in a freezer. Do I need to throw out the batch or can I thaw and add yeast???? Thoughts? I figure what the heck try it. Fruit was frozen once already.

Jim

OK, mine doesn't seem so great. :ft I followed the recipe exact...started on 3/10 with an sg of 1.084. On 3/15 sg was at 0.993, so I racked to a car boy. It's just been sitting there, and I was thinking it was time to rack it off the lees, so tasted a little. It smells and tastes VERY oaky. Is there any thing I can do? should I try and back sweeten? flavor pak? or the dreaded patience?? Thanks for the help. I do taste a little of the fruit, but not much, just oak.

Latest posts

Back