Tropical Daze

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello? *sniff* anyone out there? After I was weaseled into putting too much acid blend into my batch, I've been abandoned! I smell sabotage! Lol just kidding :)

BTW - Oak Infusion spiral stick: which one did you use?
I never tried oak spirals in my DB, this sounds interesting....

You'll be fine Carolyn, if it ends up being too acidic, you can add more water now, or put it through MLF, Pineapple is rich in malic acid.

Ok thanks Tom ;) I have some heavy toast Hungarian cubes that I may try in this but I may save that for my blueberry batch instead and stick with med toast French like you advise!

Thanks for cleaning up the directions. I bought my ingredients today.

Last edited:
If this batch I started yesterday taste anything like it smells right now, I will be in heaven. The smell is awesome.

Mine too... I pitched the yeast on Monday and OG was 1.090 it's already down to 1.041!

Hey no fair. I mixed up tonight but can't pitch the yeast until tomorrow. You two couldn't wait for me?!?! I'm upset, but I'll get over it.

Ok I'm over it. Juice tastes good!

Ok my batch of tropical daze hit .990 today so we'll se what it does for the next 2-3 days no more stirring. Will remove fruit. What about oak leave it in? Do I transfer oak to secondary?

I would transfer it to the secondary unless it has reached a level of oak that you like.

I was going to wait patiently for my batch to clear, got impatient so hit it with sparkolloid. It does seem like it's taking longer than DB takes to clear but I guess I'm not in a huge rush! I am having a glass of extras (cuz I made about 8 gallons). I can't believe how nice it tastes already, crisp and doesn't even seem to need to be backsweetened for my tastes! Out of the carboy it seemed rather tart (I did end up putting that extra acid blend by accident). But I think this is going to be fine! It's starting to taste good already! So this should be a nice drinker in about 3 months like DB? Good recipe!

Carolyn,
Mine didn't clear fast at all either, I believe that after 2 months I hit it again with sparkolloid. I have to tell you, the wine ages real nice, I'm very pleasantly surprised, at a year old, it actually tastes like a lightly infused Pinot Grigio, I've used it to cook with on more than one occasion.

Thanks for that info Tom. That helps me then to make a decision if it's not clear enough by then. I'm excited to see what it turns out like! Right now it's a dry fruity flavour. Still can taste a touch of the bananas believe it or not. But I put 6 in because I thought somehow they'd neutralize the acidity a bit from the acids blend blunder. But all seems well!

Bottled my tropical daze today! It's a lovely peach blush colour in the glass and I can tell this is going to be good! Already drinkable! Thanks so much for the recipe! This is going to be appreciated this summer by the campfire!

ImageUploadedByWine Making1393110416.203921.jpg

Carolyn

Latest posts

Back