SOME PEOPLE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are right. Anyone who has taken a microbiology class knows how futile it is to avoid all germs and especially those as small as a virus. But we do what we can with the tools we got and keep living until this thing passes by.

I’ve seen Small pox, Polio and several virulent viruses. Hope I see the back side of this one.
Hope you do also
Ken

yes all different things do matter, but zero guarantees, mask helps but more for the sick spreading as much, back in march , i acquired medical grade mask, gloves, goggles, and 2 bio grade gas mask, back in march i was contacted by the CDC but due to my health they said they would not take my supplies ,,
Dawg

My small town has no mask wearers...NONE. I do wear a mask when I go into the city and stores require them. I have social distanced for many, many years...never cared to be around strangers.
I know one older couple who contracted the china-virus... they quarantined themselves until they were past it. We neighbors took turns dropping by stuff they needed, groceries, coffee, dog-food etc. They only had contact with the testing facility even though there case was very mild; until a week after their negative test.
People who KNOWINGLY have the virus and still purposely come into contact with others should be forcefully quarantined.. If my wife or a grandchild caught it from them I would probably be in jail for a long time.

I feel you for sure! I like people but I have noticed since this happened early this year no one would look me in the eye at the stores. I get no smiles or conversations. 😢 Everyone is afraid. Me also.
Yeah No Quarter some are selfish and won’t wear masks to protect others. You are completely right! You have some good neighbors with that older couple. My hats off to them and you for being thoughtful, considerate and helpful. I sure wish the inner cities did the same.
I’m thankful I’m not sick, but if I were, I would stay home.
Hang in there! This too shall pass.

I don’t mean anything personal. I just made an assessment on your difficulty in this situation. From what I’ve read and seen on the news, the virus for what ever reasons, has been much more sever in the inner city than in the outlying towns. If social distance and masks matter at all then my assumption would be they were not being followed by mass in the inner cities. Not that you personally were unconcerned and uncaring. If I offended I offer apology

My small town has no mask wearers...NONE. I do wear a mask when I go into the city and stores require them. I have social distanced for many, many years...never cared to be around strangers.
I know one older couple who contracted the china-virus... they quarantined themselves until they were past it. We neighbors took turns dropping by stuff they needed, groceries, coffee, dog-food etc. They only had contact with the testing facility even though there case was very mild; until a week after their negative test.
People who KNOWINGLY have the virus and still purposely come into contact with others should be forcefully quarantined.. If my wife or a grandchild caught it from them I would probably be in jail for a long time.
we see eye to eye
Dawg

We do! Where did you get the idea that we don't?
where you live is a different world than LA,, SAN FRAN,, NYC,,, Wisconsin is way more laid back,, in your cities. then other cities, when i was a mall rat i loved working in your state, but there is good and bad everywhere, even in the roughest cities there are some really good people,
Dawg

From what I’ve read and seen on the news, the virus for what ever reasons, has been much more sever in the inner city than in the outlying towns.

Well, that is not entirely true. While what you say may have been true at one time, it seems to me that the hotspots have varied over time. And the virus does not seem to respect any particluar pattern.

I confess that when the wave in the summer was raging through the southeast and southwest, honestly, I felt a little smug. But then, if you recall, there was a dire surge recently in the sparsely populated areas of ND, SD, ID, WY, UT, and, yes, shifting over into MN and WI. ND and SD, while still suffering quite a high rate of new infections, are now at least trending in the right direction. Now OH and IN are flaring up. Who knows?

At least in my area, people in the city nearly uniformly wear masks. When I have gone out to the exurbs to go walking, I would see throngs of people at, say, a pumpkin patch/hayride, and no one was masked.

If I offended I offer apology

And I accept it fully and gladly! Thanks.

Last edited:
We (wife and i) had two choices, Stay in NJ or in the GA mountains.

In our NJ county, they are reporting over 200-300 new cases per DAY. THis is not surprising since NJ is the most densely populated state. Restaurants are only allowed 25% capacity which is tough being that it is now too cold for outdoor dining. In talking to friends, it seems there are continued shortages at the supermarkets and tempers are flaring. In short, it is starting to get ugly. Police will fine you if you enter a building without a mask.

In the Northwest GA mountains, we had only 3 in the last month. Store shelves are fully stocked, wearing a mask is optional (only about 1/3 of folks wear masks), and restaurants are allowed 50% capacity (which means you can actually go out for dinner!).

It was a tough decision, but we opted to stay in Ga.

yeah, the crooked CDC has went back and forth on mask so many times, that i believe they cant find their own asses using both hands
Dawg
I think you might want to check to see where and when the CDC has "gone back and forth". CDC has not - to the best of my knowledge- said anything but the same mantra from Day 1 . Local, state and admin have shilly shallied about the need to take public health at least as seriously as the economy, not the CDC. Although the Trump House has tried to press the CDC to adopt a political rather than a scientific stance. I would check the statements made by CDC and not those made by Faux News.

I think you might want to check to see where and when the CDC has "gone back and forth". CDC has not - to the best of my knowledge- said anything but the same mantra from Day 1 . Local, state and admin have shilly shallied about the need to take public health at least as seriously as the economy, not the CDC. Although the Trump House has tried to press the CDC to adopt a political rather than a scientific stance. I would check the statements made by CDC and not those made by Faux News.
first i don't watch fox, second, i tend not to conversate with libs, GET OVER YOUR PETTY HURT FEELINGS,, :sm
Patriot Dawg

WELL AT LEAST YOU CAN SPELL CDC, BUT DO YOU KNOW THE NUMBER TO 911:h
STICK WITH WINE MAKING, EVERYONE ELSE IS BERNY;)
Dawg

We have the same sort of problems in the UK. As long as it's on their mobiles or a celebrity says it, stupid people will believe all sorts of crap. We even have rally's and demos with people jammed together, no masks, no social distancing. Total Dickheads!!! These are the people who moan about Lockdown.
They say wine is a great disinfectant so I think I'll fill my glass and kill me a few germs.

We have the same sort of problems in the UK. As long as it's on their mobiles or a celebrity says it, stupid people will believe all sorts of crap. We even have rally's and demos with people jammed together, no masks, no social distancing. Total Dickheads!!! These are the people who moan about Lockdown.
They say wine is a great disinfectant so I think I'll fill my glass and kill me a few germs.
I know. My daughter works for the NHS in Wales. But it's not I think that people are "stupid" . Their ideologies are such that they invoke magical thinking rather than good science. These are the same folk who would have burned at the stake anyone who claimed that the Earth was not at the center of the universe and that it was the Earth that orbited the sun. We are all of us subject to erroneous ideas but it was another thing to be so adamant in your point of view that you would happily cause the suffering and death of thousands and thousands of fellow human beings.

Some hold firecrackers, light them and then throw them. Some do this and then FORGET to throw them...the point being is if that is what they do, that is what they do. You can't , nor should you, control other people. All you can do is control yourself. Maybe. On a good day. :)

Virus protection? I sip hand sanitizer occasionally. :D

*DISCLAIMER* This post is the result of one good cup of coffee

I get it. So, when the traffic light turns green I gotta stop in case someone whom is uncontrollable is speeding through their red light? You always stop at the green light? Like it or not, we DO restrict what people do when what they do restricts our safety and our rights. That's why we have laws. What we don't do is unnecessarily restrict the private behavior of others although theft and rape and homicide are all restricted even when they occur in your home or workplace, school or church. But I guess some people think that they have the unquestionable right to make me sick or worse, kill me, through their negligent behavior.

Last edited:
Both sides have good points. Hound-dog was served by a known china virus carrying server.... That's bad. I would not eat there...People suck.
But why tell a church they cannot hold services? You do not have to attend if you do not want to. America is all about the peoples civil liberties.
I do what I want....scared folks should stay away from me... I will not go into a pharmacy without my mask on though. Whats worse is my father in law is dying "96yo"and has not has a visit from his children in months. He wants to go home, refuse more medical treatment and die among his family. That's sad.
The very worst part is.... Telling people they are not allowed to work. That's just messed up. Most folks around here do not want handouts from the government, they want to work and keep money in their employees pockets. Crashing our economy was not the correct path for America.

True... and that's why the number of sick and deaths in the meat processing plants was so small... Oh wait.. It wasn't, was it?

"According to data collected by FERN, as of December 11 at 12pm ET, at least 1,248 meatpacking and food processing plants (563 meatpacking and 685 food processing) and 269 farms and production facilities have had confirmed cases of Covid-19. At least 75,540 workers (50,123 meatpacking workers, 14,051 food processing workers, and 11,366 farmworkers) have tested positive for Covid-19 and at least 340 workers (255 meatpacking workers, 46 food processing workers, and 39 farmworkers) have died."

https://thefern.org/2020/04/mapping-covid-19-in-meat-and-food-processing-plants/
So, what's that? Only four faceless people die for every 1000 who tested positive. Insignificant, ain't it? Unless, of course, one or more of those 340 deaths included your mother or father or son or daughter or nephew or niece or your friends. Essential workers until they were stricken and replaced...

Last edited:
So whats the answer? No meat for the country for a couple years? tens of thousands without work and loosing their homes? Ultra high suicide rates? I don't know. We have drafted millions to go fight other peoples wars and possibly die.... I think better cleanup and testing of food production facilities is a good thing, but tell everyone to stay home for a year or more...What about the hog farmers? the butchers? people have to eat. I am willing to do my part... I grow the majority of my food. raise cattle, hogs, goats etc... I can only feed so many in my area when their starving. Weakened or elderly people should maybe stay home throughout the whole thing " their choice" but not the whole country. I see both sides but have never seen even a reasonable solution. I you have one that will work, please share it.
Thanks my 3.25 worth. ( .02 adjusted for inflation.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back