SOME PEOPLE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit,,, good point “seemed to change”
if someone states there is only one answer we’all know the guy is wrong much of the time

if you l,, but ook at many of my posts you will see that I give three or five options on how to rack or sulphite or deacidify and then let “y’all” decide which holds most risk and most benefit for; your winery/ flavors you like (high alcohol,,tannic crabs)/ available hardware. A good expert will give more than one choice,,, after all, everyone is dealing with a different set of boundaries/ work demands/ available crops/ ,,,, and y’all won’t be surprised if option “three” is best.

a clue, ,,, yes we all start somewhere, with a best guess ,,, wise people improve
done all that back awe's, we're good, you can see from before i have no problem being opiniated lol.. to say the least, it's good to get the blood pumping during these endless days, kinda like 9/11
our nation changed again in the blink of an eye, and your right on, even Stephen Hawkins theories most were right but some were proven wrong after he passed, but i'd bet hard that he'd loved the debate, hehe biggest difference tween him and me is he was mostly right about things where as i tend to end up wrong, but what's one expect of one like me always taken the long way a round on my wine,, ;)
Dawg

so, i ain't whining about my BBQ no more, i threw some ribs out to thaw, and when this rain moves out I'm going to smoke me some both pull meat and a couple racks of ribs, ain't sure how much hickory i got,,, but i know i got plenty of white oak by the smoker, the next time i run my mouth would one of yawl please come by and hit me with a rock,,,, ribs are pork, only thing i got to mull over is if my pull meat is going to be beef brisket or pork roast, long day for a broken down country boy, took longer tinkering with my apple sauce,, lol,, but i got 12.5 gallons moved and the apple sauce with 12 more gallons that got more pectic enzyme, was half and half in 4 carboys, now 2 that's just wine and 2 that's going to be i hope,, night world,,,
Dawg

@Eric Huser , I belive you are vastly mistaken about cat rate so far this year. You may wish to read over these slightly better statistics than the ones you seem to have posted.
https://www.factcheck.org/2020/11/meme-distorts-facts-on-annual-death-statistics/

As well, the CDC always was consistent on saying masks helped. Initially, though there weren't enough to go around so they said to keep them for the hospital workers. Please leave political views or of the discussion, they have no place on this forum.

Just got this on Facebook
1607961708204.png1607961708204.png

This is the watch of a dead man. He died of Covid-19 a few days ago. My team and I spent multiple hours in sweaty plastic isolation gear trying in vain to save him. I took care of him in ICU for three nights before that. Nothing we did worked, and he slowly suffocated over a week. Two weeks before that he was up on his roof making repairs. He had been a healthy 70-year-old man. In his dying moments, his wife could not be next to him. I held his hand and put my communication badge up to his ear so that perhaps he could hear his wife’s voice through it while his heart beat its last. I’m begging anyone who reads this to take the pandemic seriously. Mask wearing and distancing are not political issues. No one is trying to take away your rights. This is about giving a sh*t about your families, your friends, your coworkers. Your local health care workers are not ok. We are tired. We are emotionally drained. We are breaking. We need your help in this. While the sentiment is nice -- we’re not asking for special recognition, or signs, or pizzas in the break room. What we’re asking for... what we need... is for the public to ease some of the pressure off of the system by making an effort to not fan the flames. No one will argue that this is a simple fix, and we’re all tired of isolating. No one wants small businesses to suffer. No one wants to not see their friends. No one wants to miss holidays with their family... but the next time you consider going to a concert, a crowded church service, or just running in to the gas station without a mask, remember the loved ones you are putting at risk. Remember the army of health care workers putting their health on the line to save you. Please help us help you.

Just got this on Facebook
View attachment 69380View attachment 69380

This is the watch of a dead man. He died of Covid-19 a few days ago. My team and I spent multiple hours in sweaty plastic isolation gear trying in vain to save him. I took care of him in ICU for three nights before that. Nothing we did worked, and he slowly suffocated over a week. Two weeks before that he was up on his roof making repairs. He had been a healthy 70-year-old man. In his dying moments, his wife could not be next to him. I held his hand and put my communication badge up to his ear so that perhaps he could hear his wife’s voice through it while his heart beat its last. I’m begging anyone who reads this to take the pandemic seriously. Mask wearing and distancing are not political issues. No one is trying to take away your rights. This is about giving a sh*t about your families, your friends, your coworkers. Your local health care workers are not ok. We are tired. We are emotionally drained. We are breaking. We need your help in this. While the sentiment is nice --the way we’re not asking for special recognition, or signs, or pizzas in the break room. What we’re asking for... what we need... is for the public to ease some of the pressure off of the system by making an effort to not fan the flames. No one will argue that this is a simple fix, and we’re all tired of isolating. No one wants small businesses to suffer. No one wants to not see their friends. No one wants to miss holidays with their family... but the next time you consider going to a concert, a crowded church service, or just running in to the gas station without a mask, remember the loved ones you are putting at risk. Remember the army of health care workers putting their health on the line to save you. Please help us help you.
Amen ma'am to every word you said, and you're in my prayers as is all all medical workers and victims, me and mine have all adhered all from last march,, even doctor visits till insurance companies forced doctor visits on me, it's cheaper for them for me to go to the doctor rather than a hospital stay,.in the last 3 year , over half that time has been in the hospital, of that better than 80% was either ICU or SICU,
God Bless
Dawg

I currently live in the highest daily case rate per 100,000 county in the highest daily case rate state that is - right now - the worst place on EARTH for the spread of COVID. (I say currently because this has really caused me to wonder if I want to continue living in this area in my retirement.)

Welcome to Lincoln County, Tennessee, where virtually no one is masked and you get dirty looks if you wear one.

We have not gone out for months due to the ignorance, except to travel to neighboring Alabama - which has a mask order and so has a LOT lower rate of infection - for essentials only like groceries every 4-6 weeks or so.

Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 11.36.52 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 11.35.49 AM.png

It's not that you haven't went out due to ignorance of others, you are living in a place that represents what our free country used to be.
We should be living in a country where you can wear a mask if you want and don't if you don't want to... If you're scared, stay home and stop trying to trample on my rights based on your fear.
In 1969 when the Shanghai Flu was killing millions, we had Woodstock... That's when we were a free country. Now "Free Country" is just an illusion.

How do you rationalize that you have a "right" to infect others with a virus that you may be carrying? If I have a deadly, highly contagious disease, do I have the right to breath, cough and sneeze next to you? Should I have the "right" to build and operate a rock crushing plant next door to you? Should I have the right to drive down a residential street at 85 mph? Without some reasonable rules and regulations, you don't have a society. You have nothing but a crowd of people.

It's not that you haven't went out due to ignorance of others, you are living in a place that represents what our free country used to be.
We should be living in a country where you can wear a mask if you want and don't if you don't want to... If you're scared, stay home and stop trying to trample on my rights based on your fear.
In 1969 when the Shanghai Flu was killing millions, we had Woodstock... That's when we were a free country. Now "Free Country" is just an illusion.

Yeah. Come on down, then, to literally the worst place in the WORLD to live if you don't want to catch COVID. You'll fit in perfectly, and be sick in a month. BUT STAY AWAY FROM ME!

I find it funny that in a state that has no masking mandate, people still buckle up by habit because there's a law against it. :D

I doubt I'd find much freedom in a box with six feet of dirt on my chest.

The 1969 flu pandemic killed 100,000 Americans. As of now, COVID has killed 311,000. We should have grown SMARTER since 1969, but NOPE!

Last edited:
Well said
How do you rationalize that you have a "right" to infect others with a virus that you may be carrying? If I have a deadly, highly contagious disease, do I have the right to breath, cough and sneeze next to you? Should I have the "right" to build and operate a rock crushing plant next door to you? Should I have the right to drive down a residential street at 85 mph? Without some reasonable rules and regulations, you don't have a society. You have nothing but a crowd of people.
and industry does not have a right to sell under processed canned goods,,, and we do not have a right to sell the instant rice from the day a worker stuck his hand in a rotary valve aNd his fingers went in the line,,, and we don’t have a right to mislabel what is in a package,,, and we do not have a right to sell Chinese shrimp treated with formaldehyde to reduce micro count,,, etc, etc. . . and no I hate wearing a hair net simply to protect what you eat,,, but that is the rule. The rules changed when The Jungle was published, , folks became aware of sins some processors did.
i watch FOX to find out what is important, and I have yet to see a story like @winemanden tells above, apparently it is not important, , , or not real to the network (I have suggested FOX does stories on covid/ you can too)

How do we build a society which stops US versus THEM mentality? , , , doesn’t society do better when we all win?
To me the liability rules are too weak if we/ industry/ or I can lie and get away with it.

I don't believe anyone has a right to breath, cough or sneeze on me weather infected or not. you could get hurt doing that to others...
You must live in a place where there is no common sense or even good manners.
Where i am from if you wear a mask no-one would approach you....they will respect your fear. If a store required a mask, they would wear one or go to a different store. they would not get in your face or breath on you unless you start some kind of ruckus. They also wash their hands they learned that as children.
Making food producers wear protective hairnets and masks is common sense. A iron worker is better off with a hardhat.
We were ordered to not go to work several months ago.... most folks returned to work before loosing their home, getting divorced or committing suicide thankfully. Closes cities to me have had much of that going on, not to mention many many businesses going down (along with all their employees.) Hard to pay 5,000 month mortgage when you are not allowed to stay open. Would you give up your house and maybe a spouse to save the life of a stranger? You are a better man than me.
I don't watch FOX but I would never watch any news media with sob stories all the time. but that's just me.
OKAY, venting over.

I don't believe anyone has a right to breath, cough or sneeze on me weather infected or not. you could get hurt doing that to others...
Where i am from if you wear a mask no-one would approach you....they will respect your fear. If a store required a mask, they would wear one or go to a different store. they would not get in your face or breath on you unless you start some kind of ruckus. They also wash their hands they learned that as children.
Making food producers wear protective hairnets and masks is common sense. A iron worker is better off with a hardhat.
We were ordered to not go to work several months ago.... most folks returned to work before loosing their home, getting divorced or committing suicide thankfully. Closes cities to me have had much of that going on, not to mention many many businesses going down (along with all their employees.) Hard to pay 5,000 month mortgage when you are not allowed to stay open. Would you give up your house and maybe a spouse to save the life of a stranger? You are a better man than me.
I don't watch FOX but I would never watch any news media with sob stories all the time. but that's just me.
OKAY, venting over.
AMEN
Dawg

OKAY, venting over.
I thin you responded to the wrong post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back