silly question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benaway

guru of nothing
Reaction score
why vodka in the air lock?

i see no value here, am i incorrect?

I use sanitizing solution (k-meta and water) but I know that some people like to use Vodka. It has some antiseptic properties and would keep most of the baddies out of the wine. The important thing is to have a mechanism (i.e. the trap in the airlock design) to keep air (and thereby oxygen) from getting to the wine. I suppose just about any non-toxic, non-spoiling liquid would work. My Grandfather used to float olive oil on top of the wine (in gallon jugs) to keep air out.

So for me, I use the ubiquitous sanitizing solution and drink the Vodka.

ok..i see the "S" air lock as doing that.
i guess a good benefit would be no evaporation using a media other than water

vodka you can drink it. LOL

I am a plumber by trade, we use a water seal to protect the building from methane gas.
p-trap, same thing,

The advantage (apparently) of using vodka is that if there was a change in pressure enough to force the liquid in the airlock into the carboy or in moving a carboy you mishandled it enough to create splash back from the airlock, water in the airlock COULD harbor enough bacteria or mold to spoil the wine, while sanitizing solution COULD impart flavors that you may not want, but vodka (so the assumption goes) won't do any harm if it got sucked in..All it would do is increase the ABV by a hair...

The advantage (apparently) of using vodka is that if there was a change in pressure enough to force the liquid in the airlock into the carboy or in moving a carboy you mishandled it enough to create splash back from the airlock, water in the airlock COULD harbor enough bacteria or mold to spoil the wine, while sanitizing solution COULD impart flavors that you may not want, but vodka (so the assumption goes) won't do any harm if it got sucked in..All it would do is increase the ABV by a hair...
common sense and safety, a twofer

icon.gif

For the cost of a bottle of Vodka you should be able to buy a couple of Steve's (Vacuum pump Man) headspace eliminators and seal your carboy (and degass at the same time) under vacuum.

For the cost of a bottle of Vodka you should be able to buy a couple of Steve's (Vacuum pump Man) headspace eliminators and seal your carboy (and degass at the same time) under vacuum.

I can get a bottle (750ml)of Caliber vodka(oh, I am sure it is some good stuff) for $6. Very cheap investment for no more than you need to use.

I use k-meta solution. My thinking is that this is cheaper and a matter of what I would prefer coming in contact with my wine (SO2 or Vodka).

I use Star San for sanitizing and use the same in my air locks. I've never had a problem or evaporation issues.

Back