New Here

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wineart

Junior
Reaction score
New here but not new to winemaking. Have a good 50 years experience. Took a sommelier course. Wanted to make and taste wine; not sell or serve it. I do private tastings with friends and value others opinions. I need more winemakers in my life and less yeast sprinklers. I do kits but ALWAYS tinker them. I do the same with fruit wines. I'll only comment if I feel something is lacking or I have my own questions.

To me winemaking is like cooking steak. It's what you do before, during and after that makes all the difference in the world. Very subjective, so I'm careful not to speak in absolutes, because each person likes his own amount of salt, pepper and ketchup.

To me winemaking is like cooking steak. It's what you do before, during and after that makes all the difference in the world. Very subjective, so I'm careful not to speak in absolutes, because each person likes his own amount of salt, pepper and ketchup.
Or they just eat it raw without anything, maniacs!

Welcome to WMT @Wineart

I’d love to take some classes in wine tasting. I have a very hard time knowing what to taste for and describing what I do taste.
say Chuck ,,,. One place to practice tasting is at contests. You are invited to help pour wine (be a steward) at SunPrairie Vinters sunday or at state fair next month. Stewards get to listen to what the judges say and taste all wines at that table.

Last edited:
Welcome. I’d love to take some classes in wine tasting. I have a very hard time knowing what to taste for and describing what I do taste.
Look for a local chapter of the American Wine Society. Monthly tastings are a great way to learn.

Also look for tastings at stores that sell wines. The person pouring may be a salesman, but they should be able to describe the wines.

Latest posts

Back