RHUBARB WINE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checked the S.G. today and it was down to 1.002, so racked it to a carboy.

It had a lot of lees from the Pineapple juice, so only got 5 1/2 gallons. The color is a nice peachy shade, so might get a nice blush wine. As for the flavor, at this point it tastes like Pineapple alcohol, no Rhubarb flavor.

It might be a good wine to **Sparkle**, I had heard of Sparkling pineapple wine in Hawaii...sounds so good.

keeperSmall.jpg

The Rhubarb/Pineapple is on the left, the other is the Hard apple Cider that developed a fizz in the carboy....below is "Keeper of the Carboys"...Queenie II...
smiley4.gif
Edited by: Northern Winos

Since this photo I had to remove some of the rhubarb/pineapple wine as it was foaming out the airlock...still plenty of action in there.

Wow , what a difference in colors!
20070617_193505_rhutwob_Small.jpg

These very warm days must be why the fermentation is really going fast, I racked mine today also, came out with about 5 1/2 gal, so I topped the 1 gallon with a frozen Welchs concentrate
smiley36.gif
I was amazed at how much juice i was able to get when I squeezed the rhubarb.

Everyone's wine looks fantastic! I've been working on Rhubarb/Strawberry wine myself. Pretty new at making wine from scratch. I'm making two different recipes just for comparison. Both 5 gallons. Question: As I started, all ingredients for fermentation were added, including fruit in a straining bag. Then it said to fill with water to make your five gallon batch. Now that I'm in the second stage and transferring it into the carboys, I get a little over four gallons(due to the fruit being taken out). My five gallon carboys are full with other bulking wines, so I used a three and a one gallon carboy. Recipe says to fill to make 5 gallons "IF NEED BE"! Is this something that I should consider adding water to make five gallons? Or do you think I will be just fine with the four? I do like a full bodied wine, but since I'm new to scratch wines I'm not for sure which way is best.

Thanks!

Northern Winos, love the gaurd dog!

JWMINNESOTA, Cool colors!

I'll try and post my Rhubarb/Strawberry wine pictures too today!

When we make scratch wines we often start with a bit more water so we don't end up in this situation so quickly. I would stick with the 4 gallons if that's all I had. Each time I racked I would first rack the 1 gallon into the 3 gallon carboy. Then, rack the 3 gallon carboy, drawing off the first gallon into the 1 gallon jug, thenfinishing into the 3 gallon carboy. This helps to keep the wine consistant, blending back and forth. Be sure you get any chemicals that you add when you rack into both containers.
Did that all make sense?
smiley5.gif

Got to rack mine again Thursday. Then add some stabilizer and anti-oxidant. Then it's ready for some rest on the shelf.
100_1065.jpg

Thanks Ramona! It is starting to clear nicely at the top. Probably won't have to use any finings. See what happens during the bulk aging.
About got mothers bathroom done now. Then I should be able to start the cherry. She also told me I could use our storage room for making wine. Might be an excuse for me to straiten up the room.Oh well it will be better then the placeI'm making it now.

Racked the Rhubarb/pineapple wine...looks like Rhubarb...tastes like Pinapple...

rhubarbpineappleSmall.jpg

Next time... little less Pinapple...but...I think it is great...might **Sparkle** half of it....no trace of the usual rhubarb acid.Edited by: Northern Winos

Mine looks like pinapple and taste like rhubarb
smiley36.gif
, Ill try and post a picture tonight after work.

Maybe you guys should get together and blend your wines together until yall get a happy medium!
smiley36.gif

20070704_162447_RhubarbPinapple.jpg

I have to imagine the big difference is between steaming the fruit as you did NW, or not, Like I did. They look like completely different wines.

I was real disappointed with my Rhubarb/Pineapple wine....it just wouldn't clear.

I used super-Kleer KC and this time it failed...was wondering what to do with the wine...no chance of cold stabilization for awhile.....

I put 1 oz of Isinglass in the wine and much to my surprise it cleared overnight. Had a carboy cover on and missed all the excitement it happened so fast.

Very impressed...can hardly wait to rack this wine and see really how clear it is....
smiley4.gif
Edited by: Northern Winos

Latest posts

Back