Beginner Winemaker Questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian Rovito

Junior
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My first time making homemade red wine. I'm following the method of my Italian Uncle who as you can imagine is not an exact science because its been handed down via the generations. So hoping to get some clarity on a few questions.

So far: I used a mix of merlot and shiraz grapes, the wine is aging in Demijohns for about 3 months now. I've racked the wine 3 times (at 3 days, 3 weeks and 3 months), I posed the question to my uncle of when to bottle he gave me the usual "uhhh around 3 months if looks ready" and given language barriers I thought its best I just ask here.

It seems like I should age it in the demijohns longer than 3 months, after watching some videos I tested it with a hydrometre and all the sugar is gone. The airlock is still pressurised (see picture). So here are my questions:
- What tests can I do to see if its ready for bottling? (I've done hydrometer, tried the flashlight through a 5L demijohn to see if light gets through, it doesnt)
- Does the Co2 still putting presure in the airlock mean I cant bottle? I dont want exploding bottles, so do I wait for the pressure to remove or is it ok to bottle even with it pressured
- Thinking of keeping 5 liters aging in a small carboy from each years batch until I have some VERY aged wine, roughly how long for a homemade wine before it ticks over from good aging to spoiling?

I know the answers to these are never black and white so any guidance would be appreciated

Attachments

• airlock.jpg
    airlock.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 0
Three months is very young for a wine made from pressed grapes. I would let it age at least another 3 months until it clears and naturally degasses. I would not rack again until bottling time. Have you added potassium metabisulfite? If not I would add 1/4tsp for every 5 gallons before you bulk age.

Your airlock is not under any appreciable pressure. The difference in water level is only an inch of water. If it’s not bubbling, then the fermentation is probably done. Another 3 months and you can almost be assured it’s done. Note... almost.

Also the next time you rack you will be removing the airlock and racking.

roughly how long for a homemade wine before it ticks over from good aging to spoiling?

That question is impossible to answer. It depends on factors in your control and out of your control.

* as a start I would down load and read MoreWines “Guide to Making Red Wine”. It covers a lot
* at three months the wine is likely done fermenting, and unless you treated it like a kit with clarifiers it will have turbidity. In defense of the uncle, turbidity that comes out after three months is basically cosmetic and shouldn’t affect flavor. Traditional family wine would be in a crock with a wood cover floating in it and olive oil on top. We can do better than that today with added metabisulphite and air locks.
* the version of racking I keep hearing is at one week, at one month and every three months after that. I rack because I see a purpose as lees build up. I don’t follow the calendar.
* does the air lock have bubbles coming every minute? every hour? A constant pressure out of the demijohn would simply say it is warm and the liquid volume increased
* tests? The general goal is a gravity less than 1.000. Next the gravity should not be changing. I have vacuum si I check how quickly gas comes out. My goal is to be greater than -5 inches Hg at least thirty minutes. Wine is a traditional food, it is safe to consume, the issues come in with flavor changes, which usually points to too much head space/ oxidation.
* red wines have tannin which acts as an antioxidant? It is easier to make reds than fruit or whites

welcome to Wine Making Talk

Three months is very young for a wine made from pressed grapes. I would let it age at least another 3 months until it clears and naturally degasses. I would not rack again until bottling time. Have you added potassium metabisulfite? If not I would add 1/4tsp for every 5 gallons before you bulk age.
Thanks, incredibly helpful! I am going to add potassium metabisulfite, uncle said to do it just before bottling but I may add now and leave to age for another 3 months!

Thanks, incredibly helpful! I am going to add potassium metabisulfite, uncle said to do it just before bottling but I may add now and leave to age for another 3 months.
I would add k-meta every time I rack the wine after primary fermentation is complete. Many still adhere to the rack every three months dictum but others will stretch that by a few months if the airlock isn’t opened.

First, welcome to WMT!

Second, winemaking is an art, not a science. While most of the regulars (including me) try to apply as much science as possible, in the end, experience and sensory evaluation (AKA taste your wine) are most important.

There is no test that tells you when to bottle. The period can range from 3 to 60 months. For most, the decision when to bottle is 6 to 12 months. Light whites and light fruit wines are bottled earlier -- they have less "oomph" and are ready to bottle sooner. Medium bodied reds need more time to go through the early changes. Heavy reds need more time in bulk (for me, typically 12 months).

Activity in the airlock doesn't mean anything useful. It may indicate active fermentation, degassing, or something else. Your hydrometer is your friend -- trust it.

Thanks, incredibly helpful! I am going to add potassium metabisulfite, uncle said to do it just before bottling but I may add now and leave to age for another 3 months!
Chuck and I are on the same page -- add K-meta every time you rack, post-fermentation. Also add every 3 to 6 months during bulk aging.

I was taught to rack every 3 months. I now ignore that as wrong -- only perform an action when you achieve a benefit. Racking a clear wine every 3 months accomplishes nothing other than exposing the wine needlessly to air and wasting wine (loss from racking). At this point any sediment is fine lees (yeast hulls) which causes no harm, so there is no point in racking. When I put wines in barrel they stay there for 12 months, until the next year's wine is ready for barrel.

Lastly, how long will a wine age? Bob is correct -- there is no rule. Every wine is distinct and will age differently from every other wine.

Typically wines higher in tannin, alcohol, acid, sugar, and/or general body have a longer lifespan. Most whites decline relatively quickly (within a couple of years) although some varietals with higher alcohol, acid, and/or sugar can last a long time.

Reds last longer due to being heavier, and some Vinifera (typically Bordeaux and Burgundy grapes) are known to last longer. But the quality of the grapes and the winemaking style matter greatly.

I tell folks to open a bottle 2-3 months after bottling and open another every few months. Record your impressions and after a year, read your notes from first to last. This will teach you a lot! Also, reserve 5 bottles and open one annually, again making notes. If you realize a wine is declining, don't wait to consume whatever bottles remain -- they are NOT going to get better.

When you decide a wine is ready to drink? Do it. It's your wine and if you are happy, no one else's opinion matters. :)

Latest posts

Back