How to bottle from a large demijohn

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

konradtacular

Junior
Reaction score
So I've got two 54L demijohns and I was wondering how I should go about bottling my wine now that it's clear and ready. I have a racking cane and a simple bottling wand. I also have some 5 gallon buckets with a spigot on them that I've used in the past. Should I sulfite my wine transfer to 5 gallon carboys and then bottle from there? I could lift the demijohn onto a 3 foot ledge and bottle on the floor if as well. My question is what is the best way to go about bottling this much wine. I'm also worried about oxidation as doing 75 bottles in one go will take a bit of time.

I transfer to a bucket with a spigot then add a bottling wand with one of those automatic valves.

Don’t go hurting yourself moving those big demijohns. If you really want an easy way, buy a all-in-one wine pump. You can transfer “uphill” with them. I’ve heard great things about the bottling attachment. I don’t have one yet but it’s on my list.

Interesting question, I was given my first demijohn through Prairie Vinters club last week.

With 24 liters I have bottled off the carboy. Flow is started with a vacuum pump and a small / #5 two hole cork. (vacuum hole can be small Ex insulation stripped off 12 gauge wire) A check valve in the bottling line prevents back flow/ mixing. I stop before the bottom to avoid lees

+1 to what ChuckD said
the best way would be with an All in One vacuum pump, but they aren't cheap! I would try to avoid moving a full large demijohn, that's a lot of weight in relatively very thin glass but if you need to siphon then you have to at least raise it.
Is there sediment in the demijohn? If you sulphite in that you will likely end up kicking it up since it should be gently mixed. Probably better off transferring to your carboy or bottling bucket and sulphiting it there even if it takes 3 batches.
When I bottle larger amounts I do 2 cases and cork them, 2 more cases and cork, etc. I don't know that it matters that much tbh though, I do it simply because of space and organizational reasons.

+ 2 to Chuck and Jim

I wouldn't worry about oxidation when bottling unless it's gonna take a REALLY long time - like a couple of days as long as you have sulphited sufficiently. I will be doing the same routine with a 54 l demi next week. The wine has already been sulphited and sorbate added to the demi to address backsweetening and is now in the "observation period" to be sure no refermentation.

Believe me the AIO pump coupled with the premium wine bottle filler is the only way to go. I replaced my 12 yr old homemade vacuum rig with a professional model pump recently. I already had the bottle filler. I made several practice runs with the new pump drafting from the demi (with water) and filling a few dozen bottles. Went like clock work. I even did a few runs of drafting from a bucket into the demi to simulate racking from my large primary into the secondary demi for next season. Pulling a vacuum on a demi has been the topic of much discussion here mainly due to possibility of implosion. I had absolutely no problems. Furthermore, I discussed this topic with another member who has done the procedure multiple times over 11 yrs without incident. Neither of us could find any examples of implosion when the demi/carboys were in good condition.

So to bring it full circle, I strongly recommend the Professional grade AIO pump and the premium filler for your situation.
Yep, can get in your back pocket but buy the best and you'll only cry once!!!

FWIW: I would never advise trying to elevate a demijohn of this size under any circumstances.

+3 on the AIO and the bottling attachment!
+4 on the AIO and bottling attachment. It was truly a game changer for me. From 1-2 kits a year to now 9-10 a year because its so easy to bottle and transfer your wine. No more gravity pumps .... the AIO pump is the real deal for me and makes wine making 10X more fun. Your results may vary but mine are the real deal!

(not a paid spokes person but you would think Steve would send me a t-shirt or bumper sticker). :D

+4 on the AIO and bottling attachment. It was truly a game changer for me. From 1-2 kits a year to now 9-10 a year because its so easy to bottle and transfer your wine. No more gravity pumps .... the AIO pump is the real deal for me and makes wine making 10X more fun. Your results may vary but mine are the real deal!

(not a paid spokes person but you would think Steve would send me a t-shirt or bumper sticker). :D

I wish I had T-shirts and or Bumper stickers but, All I have are Carboy Tags - LOL

I am glad to have developed a product to help me and many others in our winemaking. I have been truly blessed to be able to talk with other winemakers on a daily basis and share experiences.

Please do not move a Demijohn while it is Full - It is not worth the possibility of getting injured and loosing all that wine. Yes I do sell the complete setup - or if you already have a vacuum source - then we can set you up, with some of our accessories. Please if you have any questions and or concerns - PM me directly and we can chat over the phone.

I could lift the demijohn onto a 3 foot ledge and bottle on the floor if as well.
DO NOT pick up a full 54 liter demijohn. While the weight is not too much for 2 husky guys, the container is slippery, and your likelihood of dropping it is high.

If you choose to not go with @vacuumpumpman's product, get a food grade pump. I work with 50 to 75 liter batches, and a pump is necessary.

Thanks for the help guys. I've bought myself an RV pump that is for potable water. It's a diaphragm pump and I got it on amazon for 120 bucks and when using the full size opening at max PSI it's 5GPM. All I had to do was buy a power-supply for the thing, a racking cane and some 1/2" tubing. I've racked the wine into another demijohn off the sediment and am now going just use a bucket with a spigot with a bottling wand attached. this was the pump I used: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09ZQPSC7V?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Thanks for the help guys. I've bought myself an RV pump that is for potable water. It's a diaphragm pump and I got it on amazon for 120 bucks and when using the full size opening at max PSI it's 5GPM. All I had to do was buy a power-supply for the thing, a racking cane and some 1/2" tubing. I've racked the wine into another demijohn off the sediment and am now going just use a bucket with a spigot with a bottling wand attached. this was the pump I used: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09ZQPSC7V?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
Newbie question, do you attach the bottling wand to the spigot? Do you have a picture of how that works? I have a couple of buckets with spigots and I use them for my primary, making it easier to go to secondary leaving gross lees at bottom below the spigot. But sounds like it could make bottling easier too.

I also use a 7.9g bucket with a spigot for bottling. I rack from a carboy to this bucket to insure no lees will get bottled. For bottling I just lean the bottle against the spigot so the flow runs down the inside of the bottle, so less foam is generated in the bottle.

However, I would never use this setup to transfer from primary to secondary. I use an auto siphon, with a cap on the end if I know there are lees, no cap if lees are light. This way I can control degassing by splash racking (letting the flow free fall into the carboy) or still racking (introducing as little oxygen as possible by keeping the exit tube submerged at all times).

I also use a 7.9g bucket with a spigot for bottling. I rack from a carboy to this bucket to insure no lees will get bottled. For bottling I just lean the bottle against the spigot so the flow runs down the inside of the bottle, so less foam is generated in the bottle.

However, I would never use this setup to transfer from primary to secondary. I use an auto siphon, with a cap on the end if I know there are lees, no cap if lees are light. This way I can control degassing by splash racking (letting the flow free fall into the carboy) or still racking (introducing as little oxygen as possible by keeping the exit tube submerged at all times).
Hmmm. I’m pretty sure I got the idea of using a bucket with spigot for primary fermentation from this forum. Why is that not a good idea? Because of controlling degassing? Ok if splash racking but not if still racking?

Ok if splash racking but not if still racking?

Correct. Also, it’s probably difficult, but maybe not impossible, to get as much wine transferred with as few lees as possible. A spigot will always, at least if I look at the spigot on my bottling bucket, be well above the level of typical lees.

So I've got two 54L demijohns and I was wondering how I should go about bottling my wine now that it's clear and ready. I have a racking cane and a simple bottling wand. I also have some 5 gallon buckets with a spigot on them that I've used in the past. Should I sulfite my wine transfer to 5 gallon carboys and then bottle from there? I could lift the demijohn onto a 3 foot ledge and bottle on the floor if as well. My question is what is the best way to go about bottling this much wine. I'm also worried about oxidation as doing 75 bottles in one go will take a bit of time.
pump the wine into smaller containers or bottle from an automatic bottler

Latest posts

Back