Rhubarb Wine- Improving Overall Flavor

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

CortneyD

Reaction score
Question for the rhubarb wine makers: my recipe is pretty generic (with the rhubarb volume upped by 20%) and yields good, very rhubarb-forward wine which I am happy with. I've traditionally used Red Star Cotes des Blancs yeast with the rhubarb and end up with something akin to a bright, punchy rose.

3.7 lbs Rhubarb
1 Gallon (4 quarts) Water
2.5 lb Sugar
1/8 tsp. Tannin
1 tsp. Yeast Nutrient
1 Campden Tablet (crushed)
1/2 tsp. Pectic Enzyme

In the past I've had commercially produced rhubarb wines that had almost a custardy-vanilla note to them which I really enjoyed and I thought it gave a more balanced flavor with the tartness and acidity of the rhubarb.

How would one achieve these notes? Obviously I could throw in a vanilla pod, but I'm just wondering if anyone has ideas or a recipe that would nudge me in this direction. Would using white grape concentrate in with the water give a fuller, custardy note? White raisins? Thoughts??

Thanks!

CortneyD

Reaction score
Sounds good. I'll try it next batch. I was rutting around my pantry and found the Lyle's Golden Syrup which has a definate custardy/creamy note with its sweetness that I could use to back sweeten. I researched it a bit online and see some brewers using it to get that warm sweetness so that might be something to tinker with as well...

ChuckD

Reaction score
Sounds good. I'll try it next batch. I was rutting around my pantry and found the Lyle's Golden Syrup which has a definate custardy/creamy note with its sweetness that I could use to back sweeten. I researched it a bit online and see some brewers using it to get that warm sweetness so that might be something to tinker with as well...
I had a powdered malt that I boiled in sugar water. I’m not familiar with the bottled malts.

CortneyD

Reaction score
I just did a spot test with the leftover rhubarb wine for topping off... just a bit of the Lyle's Golden Syrup gave it some sweetness to knock back the edge of the acidity & tartness and gave a bit of warmth/roundness to the flavor. I'll do a proper bench test when it comes time to bottle (soon!) but this might be a good solution! Thanks!

Latest posts