Rhubarb Wine- Improving Overall Flavor

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CortneyD

Reaction score
Question for the rhubarb wine makers: my recipe is pretty generic (with the rhubarb volume upped by 20%) and yields good, very rhubarb-forward wine which I am happy with. I've traditionally used Red Star Cotes des Blancs yeast with the rhubarb and end up with something akin to a bright, punchy rose.

3.7 lbs Rhubarb
1 Gallon (4 quarts) Water
2.5 lb Sugar
1/8 tsp. Tannin
1 tsp. Yeast Nutrient
1 Campden Tablet (crushed)
1/2 tsp. Pectic Enzyme

In the past I've had commercially produced rhubarb wines that had almost a custardy-vanilla note to them which I really enjoyed and I thought it gave a more balanced flavor with the tartness and acidity of the rhubarb.

How would one achieve these notes? Obviously I could throw in a vanilla pod, but I'm just wondering if anyone has ideas or a recipe that would nudge me in this direction. Would using white grape concentrate in with the water give a fuller, custardy note? White raisins? Thoughts??

Thanks!

Sounds good. I'll try it next batch. I was rutting around my pantry and found the Lyle's Golden Syrup which has a definate custardy/creamy note with its sweetness that I could use to back sweeten. I researched it a bit online and see some brewers using it to get that warm sweetness so that might be something to tinker with as well...

Sounds good. I'll try it next batch. I was rutting around my pantry and found the Lyle's Golden Syrup which has a definate custardy/creamy note with its sweetness that I could use to back sweeten. I researched it a bit online and see some brewers using it to get that warm sweetness so that might be something to tinker with as well...
I had a powdered malt that I boiled in sugar water. I’m not familiar with the bottled malts.

I just did a spot test with the leftover rhubarb wine for topping off... just a bit of the Lyle's Golden Syrup gave it some sweetness to knock back the edge of the acidity & tartness and gave a bit of warmth/roundness to the flavor. I'll do a proper bench test when it comes time to bottle (soon!) but this might be a good solution! Thanks!

Back