RHUBARB WINE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to make another batch. We ran out of rhubarb wine. Everyone that I gave it to said they really like it. I rackthe new batchover to glass today.

100_1555.jpg

It's coming along nicely.

Swillologist, I am glad to hear your rhubarb turns out delicious enough to be a "back by popular demand" variety! There's hope for my newbie attempts here yet.

Update on my crabapple rhubarb too - I had transfered to the secondary over the weekend, and yesterday my hydrometer etc arrived. Tonight I checked the SG on the wee jug of crabapple rhubarb - thinking it would still be in the fermenting range because there's still steady bubbles coming out of the airlock, but it was a 0.994. I checked the big jug, and same thing. So, I tasted it too - and rather than the "charmless" of last week, it's tasting like it has some potential to be a nice, dry white-ish wine.

When the bucket gets empty again, I'll be looking to rack this batch - but to add some discipline and try to learn good habits, I'll recheck the sg for a couple days to make sure it's good and stable on that front.

(No new pics - they still look a lot like the photos I posted before)

Thanks pelican and waldo. I don't know if I can do it again or not. The last time it was 13 days before the yeast started to work. This time it started in a day.
Waldo, The two on the left are the highbush cranberry. Those have been interesting. They smell terrible. They taste terrible. But the after taste I must say isn't bad. I hope that is a sign of good things to come. The smell has settled down also. The first carboy on the right is an apple. The one to the back is a local grape. I presume it is a concord or a concord style grape. Those were about the only type that were planted in this area before the wine craze hit. The two on the right are ready to bottle as soon as I get enough bottles gathered up.

Reading over this post again has convinced me to try and sparkle some Rhubarb this summer, tried a glass last night of the batch we made last summer, I was really surprised at how good it is, hard to describe the flavors, for sure can taste the pineapple, then the aftertaste is somewhat Rhubarb. Wife couldn't pin down what I was giving her, but agreed it was really good!
smiley36.gif
Just may be what I break the new juicer in with!
20080226_041659_000_0066_Small.jpg

I think a chilled glass of this will be really good on a hot summer day! Or maybe I'm just tired of these cold winter days!
smiley36.gif

I got the Binford 2000 five handle, enamel, high capacity....well, I got this one
smiley36.gif
picked it up off ebay last fall, been looking at it all winter
20080228_060206_steamer_Medium.jpg

Guess I could practice on some snow.
smiley5.gif

That looks like a good one...Price is real fair.

I Googled ...Steam Juicer
...and found this one...for $94
http://www.877myjuicer.com/product/N12?META=bizrate%2dN12
Not sure about the inside of this one...Does everyone's have that Stainless Steel tubing thing inside the juicer collection part...???

And this one...at $119...free shipping....
http://www.kitchenclocks.com/Back-to-Basics-N12-BTB1046.html#ProdDetails

Here is one on eBay, [enamel...as shown on another Post]....not sure what size this is tho...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Blue-Enamel-Steam-Juicer-3-Pc-Non-Electrical_W0QQitemZ380000892543QQihZ025QQcategoryZ20677QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

My Stainless Steel one has lasted for many years...The Enamel one has the danger of chipping, but would work fine.Edited by: Northern Winos

I haven't ever seen that tubing thing in the collection section, I think stainless would definitely be the top of the line, and is that forum member Travisty bidding on the one on ebay?

JWMINNESOTA said:
I haven't ever seen that tubing thing in the collection section, I think stainless would definitely be the top of the line, and is that forum member Travisty bidding on the one on ebay?

Maybe...

smiley2.gif

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" ="tableTopRow"><T>
<T>
<TR ="tableTopRow">
<TD ="ing"></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD ="tableRow">

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="98%" align=center ="#000000"><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD>
<TABLE height=250 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" ="#ffffff"><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top ="text">
<DIV ="BBquote">Originally posted by Northern Winos

That looks like a good one...Price is real fair.

http://www.877myjuicer.com/product/N12?META=bizrate%2dN12
Not sure about the inside of this one...Does everyone's have that Stainless Steel tubing thing inside the juicer collection part...???

Am I looking at that tube right ? Looks like the juice would have to get
2 inches deep before draining or do you think the steam would push it up and over?
The one I have has a strait tube located at the bottom on the exterior.
http://www.juicer-steamer.com/

20080229_122050_DSCN0472.JPG

20080229_122853_DSCN0474.JPG

20080229_123118_DSCN0475.JPG
</TD></TR></T></T></TABLE></TD></TR></T></T></TABLE></TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>Edited by: mississippi mud

Yes, the tube is higher than the bottom of the catch basin. It doesn't matter, the juice just sits there till your done then I tip the pan to get the rest of it out.

My exit hole/spigot is about 1/4 inch above the bottom of the pan....so don't know what the deal is with that one with the stainless tube inside the pan...

arrow.jpg

Thanks everyone. One of these day I am going to get enough money saved up to get one. Maybe after tax time.

JW that is exactly what my rhubarb wine looks like.Edited by: swillologist

I agree the price is extremely fair on the one you posted - $99 is a bargain! Last spring we got a steam-juicer, and I bought ours from http://www-podunk.com/ - the Mehu-Liisa Finnish made one. I liked that the company selling it is a "family business" sort of venture, and that I could get replacement parts if needed. Little did I know I would need them so soon though - we had a malfunction of the electric stove one night steaming chokecherries ~ the inner core of the bottom pan melted and oozed out and the stove range top was afire -- I don't know which came first, but 100% sure it was a problem with the range-top thermostat letting the heating element go way way too high, not a defect in the steamer. I contacted the seller, and had a new water pan within days (no shipping cost on replacement parts). I liked the "customer service" and personal aspect of dealing with this company, and don't regret paying somewhat more than what other steamers can be had for. Just my 50 cents on the subject.

[for another 10cents worth, there is a downloadable pdf of the recipe book (instruction book) for the steamer on that same site, anyone thinking about whether they'd want to use a steamer-juicer, that booklet might be worth having a browse of, see what you can do with the thing.]

NW you posted awhile back you were in search of a new drain tube. What happened to the original? Just wondering if I need to watch out for anything.

Latest posts

Back