RHUBARB WINE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just for you updates have been added, check out the Elderberry Flower section, will be updated when we get some berries. Crackedcork
Edited by: Cracked Cork

Those are some beautiful flowers...Someone asked about ElderFlower wine....how is it???

What's in the wire cages????

We made some elderflower wine, its still waiting for us to try. We are picking more flowers this summer to make some more just in case we really like it. The cages are to keep the tomaters off of the ground and for the beans to climb up in the high ones.

Thanks Wade, glad you liked it.

Crackedcork

And speaking of rhubarb wine and gardens and such... We planted 2 rhubarb roots and the first leaf is up through the dirt!
smiley32.gif
smiley4.gif
I'm so excited! No more mooching rhubarb!

Hi Cracked,

Things are looking good in W.VA.

72.gif
Ramona
<DIV =sbsmilie id=sbsmilie_36 unable="true">
thumbsup2.gif

Goodness Gracious....Great Gunnera!!!

RhubarbBIGSmall.jpg

Rhubarb is really growing....a little fertilizer and rain and it really took off...

Ipulled 4 stalks today to make Rhubarb Crisp.... and 4 stalks weighted 1 pound...so if I want 30 pounds I'll need many stalks....

I am waiting for them to turn redder....then I will pull some and go for some wine.

Cracked Cork said:
Hi PWP, did you ever dig up your chokecherry wine recipie? Crackedcork
I've posted the dinner wine recipe and will in a bit post the dessert wine recipe. Can't get through a chore in an orderly fashion. Have to age these things...
smiley2.gif

Gelu Liber said:
North American Winos using the Ruth Stout method of mulching.

I Googled Ruth Stout Mulching...Gee...I had read the Green Thumb Without an Aching Back a long time ago..

I hate weeding and wateringso do the mulch thing...however it does harbor fungus and mice...
smiley7.gif

Northern winos does it turn redder with time? I didn't know that it would. I just thoughtsome verities were redder then others.

I have a Canada Red variety and right now it is fairly red up the stalk...have found it gets redder with a little more time... Right now it is so crisp and juicey...I think it's getting ready to pick. Too many things to do.
I am going to steam extract the juice..might freeze it first as not really into making wine right now...got to bottle a few more batches first.Edited by: Northern Winos

I don't know what variety I have. It was here when I moved here. My recipe calls for 4 lbs per gallon. Freeze and then thraw. Add sugar and campden tablets. Wait 24 hours, thenpress very dry. I got 3 1/2 gallons of juice.I didn't steam this batch. If this batch doesn't turn out, I may have to try it the way you do it.

20070611_163410_rhubarb_Small.jpg

I got about 15 lbs picked, clean, cut and in the freezer today, do the same amount tomorrow and I'll be ready after they freeze. I looked into what variety they are, found they are BehindOl' JW'S Garage variety
smiley36.gif
Some were red all the way , others half or so. Edited by: JWMINNESOTA

JW, My mouth is watering looking at that rhubarb! It's beautiful! I may have to mooch some yet this year. Maybe trade the fruit for some wine...

Was 90*F outside today...cranked up the AC [window unit out on the sun porch] and went outside...

Looked like the Rhubarb was ready to harvest..[my big bowl looks dwarfed]

HarvestdaySmall.jpg

It was turning nice and red...

turningredSmall.jpg

I pulled a bunch..it didn't fit in the bowl....this was 15#..had to go get another load...

15Small.jpg

Brought it in and chopped up 30#...

cutSmall.jpg

One bowl full...10# fit in the steamer...

10Small.jpg

Clear juice ran in no time...

7.jpg

This is the leftovers from 30#....

9.jpg

The juice is now...Rhubarb/Pineapple must...

8.jpg

To be continued....

Edited by: Northern Winos

Latest posts

Back