REVIEW: *allinonewinepump*

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I degassed for the first time tonight. I only have a stir stick, unfortunately. I realized quickly that I need to start saving for the AIO!

Used the All in one wine pump last night to bottle 4 batches of wine. As usual, the AI1 made the process quick, reliable, and clean. This product has been one serious workhorse. If you make wine regularly, I highly recommend you get the AI-1.

Last edited:
The All In One Wine Pump works great. Makes racking and bottling a breeze. And the customer service is oustanding. Steve will call you and walk you through the process. You can tell how passionate he is about winemaking and truly wants you to get the most out of the pump.

here is the post - in case you might of missed it -

Allinone pressure washer/bottle sanitizer

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49381

OMG, no hesitation. Placing order now. Our kitchen sink is non-standard so I could never attach one of those spigot things. A self-contained pump is brilliant. I've got 120 bottles to do in the next couple weeks. Can't wait to try it.

I've got the whole home filter already; what's the best/cheapest filter to use in it for sanitizing? I assume it doesn't have to be very fine.

steve

OMG, no hesitation. Placing order now. Our kitchen sink is non-standard so I could never attach one of those spigot things. A self-contained pump is brilliant. I've got 120 bottles to do in the next couple weeks. Can't wait to try it.

I've got the whole home filter already; what's the best/cheapest filter to use in it for sanitizing? I assume it doesn't have to be very fine.

steve

best filter -
Is the sediment filter that is yarn wound from your local hardware store - just rinse it off and then it is reusable

here are some links on filters -

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DuPont-S...Pack-WFPFC4002/203444311?N=5yc1vZarssZ1z10ixo

http://www.walmart.com/ip/CulliganCW-MF2-Pack-Filter-Cartridge-2PK-SEDIMENT-CARTRIDGE/38470706

faster degassing?

Somebody a few pages back wanted to know if wine could be degassed with just a couple of passes with the AIO. People said no. I don't think that is the case. Yes, a straight transfer didn't seem to remove all that much CO2, so I can see how numerous repetitions over time would be needed.

When I ran the pump to transfer my first batch it seemed that I wasn't building that much of a vacuum in the carboy because both primary and carboy were sitting on the ground and it really didn't take much of a pressure differential to get the wine to flow from one to the other. I tried putting a crimp in the hose between the racking cane and the carboy by simply bending the hose in my hand until the flow was almost cut off. The pump changed sound indicating it was working harder building up a vacuum in the carboy. Obviously I don't want too high of a vacuum because it might damage pump and/or carboy, and I really want a decent flow because I don't want to spend days on this process!

I simply opened my hand partially, relieving the kink in the hose until the wine started to flow at a decent rate (though still much slower than at first). The hose just following the kink filled with bubbles indicating that CO2 was bubbling out of solution because of the low pressure formed between the kink and the carboy. There were no bubbles on the side of the kink going to the racking cane, so I wasn't sucking air.

If I relax the kink too far, the bubbles stop, so I just close my hand slightly until the bubbles start up again. I do use the thin-film adapter Steve sells inside the carboy, so the CO2 that comes out is easily removed. I get most of the CO2 out with a single transfer. My second rack (after fining and a week or two of settling) is through the whole house filter and I get almost no foam in the carboy. Once the batch is filtered I immediately bottle. After a long period of aging and refrigeration (about 3 hours....) we tried a bottle (this was a AJ Spagnols Grand Cru Gewertz) and while it wasn't really cold enough we didn't detect any CO2.

I don't know if anyone else has tried this, but it seems to work for us.

And yes, I know I can improve my wine with better technique and longer aging, but we were out of wine! It was still tasty and vastly better than any $2.50 bottle (my cost per bottle for the kit) I could buy....

I simply opened my hand partially, relieving the kink in the hose until the wine started to flow at a decent rate (though still much slower than at first). The hose just following the kink filled with bubbles indicating that CO2 was bubbling out of solution because of the low pressure formed between the kink and the carboy. There were no bubbles on the side of the kink going to the racking cane, so I wasn't sucking air.

Nice idea. I have some of those plastic hose crimpers that could probably be adjusted to just the right spot too. I do find 4 rackings will remove all the co2, but some kits only require 2! I always do an extra one for filtering now, but even then I'm sometimes doing an extra 4th to get the degassing done. Your approach on the move from 2nd fermentation to a new carboy would be a nice option to maybe avoid that 4th one. I'd like to hear what steve thinks about making the pump work a little harder though...

steve

Steve

I'm not sure what stage he was at when he decided to try this process out. I did PM him in order to find this information out. I realized that this is his first post and all and not knowing if he is using the standard hose or the 1/2'' hose ?

Normally if you start using the all in one wine pump - from the primary - typically you don't have to worry as it it pulling the co2 every time you rack and should be ready for when you need to add the finings.

In the past I have told people if they wanted to start by pinching off the supply tube for a short period of time (say 30-45 seconds ) in order to build up some vacuum in the vessel prior to starting that should be fine. The reason I mentioned this is because some people have bought the pump after the wine has already in the carboy for 3 months and they need to remove the co2 prior to bottling.

If you hear the pump struggle because you are in a hurry to degass - why not just do another transfer that takes only 4 minutes back to back. This pump has been bullet proof for over 5 years now - So this is my personal recommendation.

Using the headspace eliminator will also help in the process of removal of co2
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49529

remember winemaking is all about learning patience

Last edited:
degass followup

As he said, Steve PM'ed me and wanted to talk about my experience. He thought I didn't like the AIO! I like it so much I'm planning to take mine to my house in Ireland and will buy another for here! Steve posted in his reply that he has told people to pinch the supply briefly to build up a vacuum. Well, that is basically what I was doing by crimping the hose. I reread the whole thread before I made my post (I read it all the first time before buying the AIO). Nowhere is that mentioned. Well, it is now!

like dsm1212 said, some kits only call for 2 rackings. For my simple kits I rack once off the primary into the carboy (now using the pinch technique (tm!)), add finings, then a week or two later rack through the filter to another carboy, then immediately bottle (using the AIO, of course). And I did try the back-to-back rackings. If one racking didn't take out much, two back-to-back don't take out much more. Restricting the supply does. As far as making the pump work harder, you are doing something similar by pulling the wine through a 1 micron filter -- which I also do, but after fining. I want to degas before fining.

In line with what Steve said, the pinch is most needed at the beginning of the transfer. By crimping with my hand I can easily adjust the amount of crimp simply by tightening or loosening my grip, and as the transfer goes on I loosen it a lot. Not totally, but I just let the bubble stream be my guide. The problem with putting on a clamp is that it doesn't give that ease of control. Maybe that much control isn't needed, but I don't want to put any more strain on the pump than I need to, and adjusting the flow manually is easy and bulletproof. He mentioned in the call that he was worried that some people might restrict the flow too much and leave, thus damaging the pump. No worries if you are doing it by hand. Besides, it doesn't take long and it requires virtually no effort to hold the crimp once things really get going. And it gives me something to do while watching the wine transfer!

FYI: If you are going to rack back and forth to degass in one session, in 2nd and subsequent rackings, you can hold the racking cane against the bottom of the carboy. That serves the same purpose as crimping the hose, without weakening the hose. The AIO has thick walled hose because of the vacuum pressure. Crimping that hose is a pain.

FYI: If you are going to rack back and forth to degass in one session, in 2nd and subsequent rackings, you can hold the racking cane against the bottom of the carboy. That serves the same purpose as crimping the hose, without weakening the hose. The AIO has thick walled hose because of the vacuum pressure. Crimping that hose is a pain.

Will try this next time. I racked skeeterpee last night (first of two rackings) and squeezed the hose a bit. Just to the point where I could see bubbles about 10 inches from where I was squeezing. That did seem to do the trick. I had 4 inches of foam and stirring afterwards I couldn't get much co2 at all to come out.

thanks
steve

After reading this last couple of suggestions - I decided to make an attachment for the splash racking cane that will increase the removal of CO2 while racking.
The attachment requires no manipulation of the transfer hose.
I have been doing trials with some of my customers and they are reporting that the CO2 is completely removed in 1 or 2 rackings.
Great performance for those who want quick CO2 removal for early bottling.
Stay tuned for further updates!

All In One Wine Pump

I have been making wine for fourteen years now and have just started using the All In One Wine Pump. It makes Racking, Degassing and Filtering so much easier. As I get older, picking up 6 gallon Carboys is getting harder. Using the All in One Pump really takes the strain off the back muscles and joints. The pump is also very quiet and everything runs really smooth. It is very easy to operate and learning to properly attach hoses and fittings is a piece of cake. The manual is easy to understand and is quite helpful. I wish I had been using the All In One Wine Pump years ago. Definitely worth the price.

Marty Miller
Divide Colorado

My review of the of allinone pump

1. I have been making wine for about 12 years.
  2. For years I have using old fashioned techniques such as raising the carboy and using gravity and suction/siphon.
  3. I was looking for a filter pump, I had initially ordered another brand and then, while awaiting shipment, I saw an ad for the allinonepump and figured I would give it a whirl (no pun intended) instead. I figured, why not get one tool for everything? I returned the other "jet" pump without using it and soon after received the allionone pump.
  4. As mentioned elsewhere, Steve, the designer and maker of the allionone pump, was available every single time I called him, even when I was standing at home depot, buying additional tubing, etc.
  5. Anyhoo, don't ask me the physics of how it works, but it works
Here are the benefits of this miraculous machine
  1. you don't have to lift the heavy carboys/demijohns
  2. by not having move the carboys, you don't have to disturb lees
  3. it is fast, I was able to transfer a 54 liter demijohn in about 12 minutes
  4. no more swallowing wine from a tube when trying to start the suction!
  5. very little if any leaking, once, while using the allinone, I wasn't paying attention and my receiving carboy was full, all the run off, which would normally go onto the floor when into the runoff bottle.
  6. It is easy to use, it is color coded.
I used it for Racking and for Filtering and bottling. Everything worked great and it was simple. I like the fact that the filtering jerry-rig is a clever work around solution for the filtering, that I can us a water filter, and don't have to buy proprietary wine pump filters.

I did this with my son helping me, I found it easier btw to use the vacuum release button when bottling, to stop the flow, although one can merely remove the filling attachment from the bottle to stop the flow. By using the vacuum release button, there is virtually no leakage during bottling. By depressing the brass release button, the flow stops completely.

One tip for filtering: I used to have tendency to save every drop of wine, even the dirty wine. Over the years I started to throw out the bottom of the barrel, literally, and not try to save every drop of the "dirty" wine. In doing so, I threw out perhaps about one half gallon of wine, but the end result is cleaner wine and less racking. That is just my preference.

Another amazing tool is the freezer in my garage. After primary fermentation (I made whites this year and prevented chemically the secondary formation), I put the must/wine in the freezer overnight, which forces the lees to the bottom.

Also, if you insist on trying to save the "dirty" wine, put a bucket of the bottom of the barrel wine in the freezer, free the wine, and then let it defrost and voila, the lees are all on the bottom within 36 hours or so. The just rack off the clean wine.

Freezing works wonders.

Anyhoo, back to the allinone: It is a great tool, and I recommend it wholeheartedly, it definitely saved me time and wine, which would have been spilled had I had to siphon from the carboy into a bucket and then from the bucket to the bottle. Also, all of this is done with the least possible contact with the air.

Also, the thing is not so technical to use, it is easy to use, and you don't need to any knowledge of anything to use it, just set it up and watch it work its magic!

I have a batch of Montepulciano juice from the fall that is very cloudy. Bentonite has helped some, on the suggestion of distributor the next step is to filter.
So, naturally that is my queue into buying the allinoewinepump and filter setup.
I hope to have delivered this week!

Thanks,
Steve

bottling problem solved

I was plagued by my bottles filling really fast and having a somewhat difficult time controlling the flow of wine. I saw various references in this thread about the hole in the vacuum connector to reduce the flow. I never saw it on mine. The reason is that the directions say to put the hose up to the red line. I thought I was doing that. Unfortunately, the red line is almost totally nonexistent on mine. I probably pushed the hose on too far the first or second time and scraped it off. As a result, I was pushing the hose up to the red BAND which completely covered the vacuum-relief hole.

I looked for the hole with the hose off and of course there it was -- with a few sparse remnants of the red line just below it. I have yet to bottle since finding this, but I suspect this will make the wine flow into the bottles just a bit more calmly.....

Perhaps I'm the only one to stumble here, but I thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone else missed it like I did.

geoff

I was plagued by my bottles filling really fast and having a somewhat difficult time controlling the flow of wine.

Perhaps I'm the only one to stumble here, but I thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone else missed it like I did.

geoff

You will definitely notice a big difference bottling next time !

I state this in my user manual and under FAQ's -

Question: What is the line on the bottle filler for?

Answer: There is a small hole located on the vacuum release hose.

To slow down the filling process, attach vacuum before line, leaving the hole uncovered.

I am glad you figured it out - but if anyone has any questions or concerns - please dont hesitate to shoot me an email.

Latest posts

Back