Racking Wine Affecting Aroma

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Resonant11

Reaction score
Hi all, I think I've seen this discussed but I couldn't find the threads to reference. Is it common for racking a wine to have an adverse affect on the aroma and general flavor? I just did my final racking of a port that I started last fall. I sampled it after racking (done under vacuum with the AIO wine pump) and it seemed very muted. I had a swingtop bottle of the same vintage that I opened to compare and the wine that had not been racked still tasted and smelled very fruity.

Is this something similar to bottle shock? I generally think of that just in the final bottling stage and not when racking from one carboy to another.

Thanks!
Joe

Hello from Lakeville!

You might want to try letting the sample breath for a few minutes to see if that makes a difference.

I also rack using my AIO. I haven't noticed the specific issue but I have noticed bottle shock. I made a FWK peach and had some leftover after I backsweetened and racked it. Hubby and I really enjoyed that! Then I opened a bottle a couple weeks after I bottled it, and it wasn't as good as that first sample. But it has gotten better since.

If it were me, I would let it sit a little while longer and then sample before bottling.

Latest posts

Back