Finer Wine Kit Moscato Tavola Finer Wine Kit Trouble?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sale started today on what is still in stock or leftover. 50% off .... Bought the Tavola Syrah with one skin, and Forte Pinot Noir with double skins pack. I've never had wine kit with skin packs. Hurry, rumor is they sell out quick on this 50% off sale. I'm like a kid at Christmas now waiting to open my presents.

I think if it were me, I would make them the opposite way. As in, the Tavola Syrah, heavier wine add the double skin packs and seeds and the Pinot Noir use just one skin pack. I always think of Pinot Noir as a lighter more delicate, fruitier wine than the Syrah. But, it's your wine and do what makes you happy. They will both turn out just fine, no matter what you do.

I think if it were me, I would make them the opposite way. As in, the Tavola Syrah, heavier wine add the double skin packs and seeds and the Pinot Noir use just one skin pack. I always think of Pinot Noir as a lighter more delicate, fruitier wine than the Syrah. But, it's your wine and do what makes you happy. They will both turn out just fine, no matter what you do.

I like the way you are thinking but what you don't know is I have a FWK Tavola Pinot Noir (no skins) started in March 2023 and in bulk aging right now. I hope the Tavola PN turns out as a lighter more delicate wine and the Forte PN I purchased today is much bolder with more body. One of the members recommended I get the Forte Pinot Noir with skins to see the noticeable difference between the Tavola vs Forte plus skins vs no skins. Guessing this is an experiment and learning experience for me too between the two Pinot Noirs. Hope I know what to look for in these wines .... not much experience yet.

I have considered splitting the skins between the Syrah and Pinot Noir .... 1 ½ each. Guessing the skins will be the same variety? I have never worked with skins & seeds so this will be sooooooo cool.

Okay, no problem. I'll explain my process, but you will have to account for the equipment you have on hand, which is what we all have had to do. My wine comes out good from this, but other people do it differently and guess what? Yep, their wine comes out good too. Many ways to get to the same point.

I'm running pretty much a contentious process:
* 2x 7.9L fermenters - sits for a month here
* 2x 6.5gal glass carboys - my 'kill jars', this is where I add kmeta, glycern, and clearing agents. The extra space lets me really whip the wine for degassing, then sits here for a month, not topped off but airlocked
* 2x 6gal glass carboys - my 2nd racking, topped off and airlocked - sits for a month
* 2x 6gal Better Bottle carboys - 3rd racking, filter through a 1 micron filter, topped off and airlocked with a silicone bung airlock. Wine will set here for a min of 4 months to bulk age. A good place for oak spirals too.

I have 8 of the better bottles so it's all lined up and running. The last 2 carboys have wine that is 7 months old and it either goes into bottles for storage or we drink it. Might have a week or 2 of downtime at various times, just depends on when I want to start & when Label Peelers has a sale.
Very interesting!

I use 7 gallon fermenters. My last four kits, 2 made it to day 7 and 2 made it to day 8, then racked to 6 gallon carboys and topped up. Sealed with breathable bungs, and K-meta added a few days later when fermentation is complete. Then not touched for 6 months, other than to add K-meta. Usually I rack 3 gallons off the top to bottle and 3 gallons to bulk age further. Less bottles!

It is your wine and I am not saying you are not doing it right, but I do mine my way because I am leery of O2 exposure. The duration of untopped head space would make me very uncomfortable. Reading your technique was a real 'no kiddin?' moment. 🤔

I like the way you are thinking but what you don't know is I have a FWK Tavola Pinot Noir (no skins) started in March 2023 and in bulk aging right now. I hope the Tavola PN turns out as a lighter more delicate wine and the Forte PN I purchased today is much bolder with more body. One of the members recommended I get the Forte Pinot Noir with skins to see the noticeable difference between the Tavola vs Forte plus skins vs no skins. Guessing this is an experiment and learning experience for me too between the two Pinot Noirs. Hope I know what to look for in these wines .... not much experience yet.

I have considered splitting the skins between the Syrah and Pinot Noir .... 1 ½ each. Guessing the skins will be the same variety? I have never worked with skins & seeds so this will be sooooooo cool.
Something else to consider is a bolder wine can handle higher ABV, and might actually seem to be missing a little something without it. You can always add Everclear in the future, but you could also consider Chaptalizing before you pitch... Adding sugar to up the OG and ABV.

With 2 skin packs you might want to bring it up a little, especially if you are going to oak as well.

I did degas with the AIO head space eliminator. No more bubbles was coming when held under vacuum. I did bottle 3 gallons of it. The other 3 gallons I will leave in a topped up carboy for another few months. Maybe sharpness was the wrong way to describe it for me.
I often do this. Actually, so far, I always do this. I bottle 14 and bulk age the rest in 3 gallon carboys so I don't have to store 300 bottles.

For an interesting experiment keep a bottle from this batch to open next to a bottle of the second half to see if bottle aging vs bulk makes any notable differences. I have saved bottles, but have yet to do the side by side comparison.

Very interesting!

I use 7 gallon fermenters. My last four kits, 2 made it to day 7 and 2 made it to day 8, then racked to 6 gallon carboys and topped up. Sealed with breathable bungs, and K-meta added a few days later when fermentation is complete. Then not touched for 6 months, other than to add K-meta. Usually I rack 3 gallons off the top to bottle and 3 gallons to bulk age further. Less bottles!

It is your wine and I am not saying you are not doing it right, but I do mine my way because I am leery of O2 exposure. The duration of untopped head space would make me very uncomfortable. Reading your technique was a real 'no kiddin?' moment. 🤔
@vinny - well I really don't have that much O2 exposure. In the fermenter and the kill jar there is still CO2 coming off in enough quantity to blanket the wine. After that it is always topped up and is stoppered with some sort of airlock. I also throw a 1/4 tsp of kmeta in at every racking. Most of my wine is 'table wine' and gets kegged, I usually only bottle the stuff that needs a little more development.

Sale started today on what is still in stock or leftover. 50% off .... Bought the Tavola Syrah with one skin, and Forte Pinot Noir with double skins pack. I've never had wine kit with skin packs. Hurry, rumor is they sell out quick on this 50% off sale. I'm like a kid at Christmas now waiting to open my presents.
Thanks, got that email while I was here, went & ordered 2 Forte kits. Looking forward to what they are able to restock with.

@vinny - well I really don't have that much O2 exposure. In the fermenter and the kill jar there is still CO2 coming off in enough quantity to blanket the wine. After that it is always topped up and is stoppered with some sort of airlock. I also throw a 1/4 tsp of kmeta in at every racking. Most of my wine is 'table wine' and gets kegged, I usually only bottle the stuff that needs a little more development.
Like i said, I'm not saying it's wrong, but it gives me the heebie jeebies just thinking about it. 😄

Hi everyone….I racked this kit on 4-9-23. I was worried I may have screwed it up. I still don’t know. Looking at the wine now it has cleared up good. I am happy with that! I was thinking it maybe time to rack it again and bottle it. I would add 1/4 teaspoon of K-Med. I started the kit on March 29. My question is should I rack it now and bottle it or should I leave it alone?
I agree with @Ohio Bob, this is too early to bottle. If there is any possibility of CO2, you will regret bottling now.

Patience, Grasshopper. Give the wine an additional 2 months in bulk, then evaluate bottling.

Patience has never been my strong suit! That 3 gallon jug I bottle made 15 750ml bottles and I use every drop. I have another 3 gallons that I will let bulk age most of the summer. So should I pull the corks and bulk age it some more ? @winemaker81

Last edited:
Patience has never been my strong suit! That 3 gallon jug I bottle only made eleven 750ml bottles and I use every drop. I have another 3 gallons that I will let bulk age most of the summer. So should I pull the corks and bulk age it some more ? @winemaker81
If you have wine bottled, I'd leave it. For future reference, learn patience and give the wine 4 months before bottling. In the long term, you'll be happy you did.

It helps if you make more wine than you drink. You're always making for the future.

If you have wine bottled, I'd leave it. For future reference, learn patience and give the wine 4 months before bottling. In the long term, you'll be happy you did.

It helps if you make more wine than you drink. You're always making for the future.
Thank you……..Screwed up again! I am making much more wine than I can drink now. It took me awhile to catch onto that! I have 3 in carboys now, one FWK in fermentation, and 2 FWK i just ordered today. I am wine poor!

Back