My experience with the All-in-one pump

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted to relate today's bottling experience with the All-in-one pump set up. I bought the unit last year but had not used it until this week and that was only to rack from one carboy to another. My experience with the pump was limited, then, when I decided to try bottling.

I had three carboys of Cabernet Sauvignon to bottle and got everything set; bottles cleaned and sanitized, wine racked to a clean carboy, corks spritzed with k-meta, even mounted my corker on a table and screwed it down so I could work standing up. I began with the first carboy and, not unexpectantly, I had trouble with my first bottle getting the flow to stop. Little puddle of wine but let's move one. Second bottle, same thing. By this time, I was uttering what I explain to my bride are "technical terms" associated with wine making but which she mistakes for profanity. I was also wondering why people were unanimously pro AIO! I got so frustrated, I stopped using the AIO and moved the wine to a carboy with a spigot and filled the bottles from there. Tedious, but I got the first carboy done.

Being an old manufacturing engineer, I recalled that problems such as these are usually caused by one of two things, equipment malfunction or operator error. The unit seemed to be functioning as expected, so that was not it. That is when I had an epiphany! Somewhere in the cobwebs of my mind, I recalled sage advice from one of my many mentors: When all else fails, read the directions. Gee, it says here, "When bottling, always have the carboy lower than the bottle!" Duh!

Needless to say, after moving carboys 2 and 3 to a dolly on the floor, the bottling went (to use an Ohio phrase) slicker than snot! I think with some more experience and a fixture or two, I will be able to cork a bottle while filling another. I blew through the carboys in no time at all. Love this pump and highly recommend it (and also recommend reading the directions).

You guys need to stop with these pro AIO posts. Your opinions are expensive! (for me)
I understand, Dave. I have ordered the filtering set up for it also. The unit is quiet, the pump is strong and pulls a good vacuum and everything is easily changed for the various functions, e.g., bottling, filtering and racking. It is an investment and also a major time saver. Transferring under vacuum also helps in degassing and clearing the wine. I had another system two years ago that I "kluged" together out of pieces I bought on eBay. I am sure I spent more overall for that system, and it was not nearly as efficient.

Being a male I totally understand the idea of not reading the instruction manual. That is why I came up with a quick instructional video (that I can fast forward ).

Fast forward is a good feature. It's the problem with manuals, they are not geared for a quick start. YES... It's plugged in.. next?

I understand, Dave. I have ordered the filtering set up for it also. The unit is quiet, the pump is strong and pulls a good vacuum and everything is easily changed for the various functions, e.g., bottling, filtering and racking. It is an investment and also a major time saver. Transferring under vacuum also helps in degassing and clearing the wine. I had another system two years ago that I "kluged" together out of pieces I bought on eBay. I am sure I spent more overall for that system, and it was not nearly as efficient.
The only problem is I am already sold. I am just 'waiting' so I don't get the look. :rolleyes:

I recently saw Steve had a quick connect fitting for the filter. Since I was getting ready to filter a FWK Forte Pinot Noir, I ordered them.
I watched the video, installed them, and made the connections. Filtered the wine, they didn’t leak, easy to connect/disconnect, MUCH better than the plastic barbs!!!
These are a significant improvement over the plastic barbs!
Excellent upgrade to your filter system.
Thanks Steve! You took a good product and made it better and simpler!

Being a male I totally understand the idea of not reading the instruction manual. That is why I came up with a quick instructional video (that I can fast forward ).

Great quick tutorial, Steve! I have bottled 18 gallons in the past two weekends and the AIO was spectacular as usual. The quick video would have been a good reminder because I forgot the carboy had to be below the bottling. I typically add one more video as part training for newbies. You should consider it too!

#SNLcorksoakers

I ordered my AIO on Sunday and it arrived yesterday (Tuesday) at 3p and I was like a kid at Christmas. Twenty minutes later I was running water for practice racking and bottling. The AIO has been part of a progression for me and, since retirement in 2018, I've stepped up the hobby so I'll get a lot of use out of my new toy! The Pentek filter system will arrive today and I'm going to a synthetic cork which arrives Thursday. Exciting times.

Great quick tutorial, Steve! I have bottled 18 gallons in the past two weekends and the AIO was spectacular as usual. The quick video would have been a good reminder because I forgot the carboy had to be below the bottling. I typically add one more video as part training for newbies. You should consider it too!

#SNLcorksoakers

I really luv the video !! I will definitely will be reposting this one

I ordered my AIO on Sunday and it arrived yesterday (Tuesday) at 3p and I was like a kid at Christmas. Twenty minutes later I was running water for practice racking and bottling. The AIO has been part of a progression for me and, since retirement in 2018, I've stepped up the hobby so I'll get a lot of use out of my new toy! The Pentek filter system will arrive today and I'm going to a synthetic cork which arrives Thursday. Exciting times.

I really enjoy being that Kid in that Candy shop. I hope everything went well with your racking and bottling. Please if you have any questions or concerns - please reach out to me

I do 750 - 1,000 bottles a year. All are bottled with the All-In-One.

The mods I made and shared with Steve, so I could get through a 300 bottle session, was the inspiration for the Pro model. My original (modified) unit has 8,000+ bottles through it and still chugging away.
WOW - that is alot of Bottles !!

Latest posts

Back