PRAYERS FOR SWILLOLOGIST

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How are you doing????
bald-smile.gif

Hope things are getting better. Will you continue to get treatments???

I am sure not looking forward to winter....

I'm doing great NW. I went down and spent the weekend makin molasses. The Grandsons got to come down.

100_1887.jpg

I saw a lot of friends and family that I haven't saw since last year. It was good time.

I still have one more treatment this time around. It will be a week from this Thursday. Then we will have to see where we go from there.

I still have a couple of turkeys to kill this fall along with a few deer. I am going to see if I can't get one of those turkeys this week sometime if the wind ever slows down some. Rain is supposed to move in this afternoon. May be the wind wind will lay down after that moves through.

But life is good NW.

Swill,
you must be feeling better, I know how much work stripping and pressing the cane is. Our canedidn't turn out this year, first year not making it that I can remember.

Remember windage and elevation, to fill the freezer with venison.

Best wishes for you and NW.

Do you grow Sorghum to make your Molasses????? Do you use the whole plant???? Or.....Just the seeds????

We use to grow Forage Sorghum...I think it was some kind of a cross/hybred plant. It had brown seeds on the top of the plant and grew really tall. Jim use to plant one side of the corn field with it....then, I use to drive the tractor to chop the silage and would put a few rows of the Sorghum in each load of corn silage....I remember it would really bog down the tractor and would have to drop a gear....I loved watching that huge amount of foilage disappear into the chopper....It made the silage smell like Molasses and really boosted the yeild.......

Thanks for the memories.

Glad your feeling better Swil and hope it keeps getting better for you and NW!

Thanks everyone. Just getting out into thetimber is going tobe the best part.

Yes NW we grow sorghum for making molasses. It is different then the sorghum you used for silage. We just use the stock. We stripe off the leaves and cut off the head. Noah is stripping the leaves off in the picture. Then the cane is cut and ran through a press to remove the juice.

100_1284.jpg

Then we cook it down for about 6 hours.

100_1289-2.jpg

Love looking at the old time tools as they still work unlike most newer tools that just dont stand the test of time for 100 times the price!

Quite a process....Thanks for Posting the photos.

After I Posted my Reply I Googled Making Molasses and saw the boiling process....Those tools look like they still get the job done.

Have you ever made wine with your Molasses????

Been a long long time since I chewed on a piece of sugar cane stalk. I do remember how it tasted, how good it was but how it would adversely affect you if you ate too much of it
smiley36.gif

Swill,
Do you use the seeds from the heads each year? With this yearsbatch failure don't know if bad seed or what, we might need to find new and start over.

What tractor do you use to power the press? The John Deere B makes the best sound.

Wade We don't know how old the mill is. Dad bought it used around 1941. The pan that we run into from the mill was the cooking pan that came with the mill. It is getting pretty well shot. We are going to have to retire it before long.

NW No I have never made wine out of molasses. I have heard of them distilling it and making rum.

Waldo Yes it canhave that effect on you. It will do it also if you eat to much of the fresh molasses.

Scott Wehave never had very good luck saving the seeds. It may have something to do with the verity we use. We get our seed fromMississippi State U.. I don't think our season is long enough for the seeds to fullydevelop(turn red) here. If you need it I can give you the address for where we buy our seed.

Our family have alway been kind red. This year we had a Farmall H powering the mill.

I just finish up taking the last pills for this round of chemo. NowI have to wait about two and a half weeks. Then I take a cat scan, pet scan and a bone marrow test and we will see where we go from here.

Now to get to the treestand.

Glad you are having a little break and Hope the Scans show good progress.....

Been wondering how you've been doing.....had planed on Posting here today to ask.

You must be feeling pretty good to go hunting.....
smiley4.gif

I am feeling so much better without any drugs for almost 2 weeks now...I can't believe the difference....Going to be in good shape by Dec 5th when I get the next Scan.....Then???

Hope you continue to feel spunky and enjoy the season.

Good luck with the tests and good luck in the tree stand! We may get some snows tonight and tomorrow. That usually gets the deer active. I'm starting to see buck scrapes around so I think the rut is beginning here! Now if I can get that 10 pointer before the girl does that is baiting it 150 yards from my stand! That really irritates the heck out of me. I try to hunt natural runways, etc and she has a tree stand 150 yards from mine where she piles up mounds of apples, spreads all kinds of corn, puts out salt licks and has a camera trained on the piles to see what time of day the deer come to it.

I hope your farm is big enough you can hunt without worrying about others being close by. I have started using my 12 guage with slugs so I don't need to worry so much about a stay bullet hitting someone that shouldn't be there in the first place.

We are not allowed to 'bait' deer....but we can 'feed' them.....They are taking the outside rows of corn....don't know what they are doing inside the field.

Jim had planted about a ½ acre of oats last month...near the watering hole and his favorite stand. Usually the deer like that tender green 'grass' and have it eaten down like a lawn...this year they are happy with the bumper crop of acorns and the standing corn....They have just now started eating the tender shoots of greens.

Hope everyone has a successful hunt.

It seems strange to hear you talking about snow. It is beautiful here, leaves still on the trees, flowers in bloom. We did have a vey cool night last nigt, upper 30's. Will only last a couple of days, then warm again.

I really miss hunting season. Back home it seemed to add a 5th season to the calendar.

Good Luck to all of you Hunters...........
Ramona

Swill, glad you are feeling good.Edited by: rgecaprock

Appleman sounds like you need to go and cut some firewood ie: make alot of noise.

Good luck and be safe

Back