Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, I'm new to this all grape thing. With a few lugs of grapes in bags, you just squeeze them and they disappear under the surface for awhile, no biggie. But all grapes, not as much juice, yet, but lots and lots of skins. I'm thinking, I'll use my potato masher, no problem. Then the first day I go to punch them down, it leaves a hole about 18 inches deep that you could run a piston up and down in. Uh oh, now what? By the time I got it all punched down my arm up to my elbow was stained purple. Some one at work actually noticed since I was wearing a short sleeve white shirt (yes, I did wash my arm before going to work).

So I seached on my local LHBS's website, cheapest one was $62. Okay, I'm using it about two weeks a year, no way. So I take a look at my local restaurant supply store, and voila, a solution, no more purple arm (though I wore it with pride). Total price, $8.53 (includes tax). I love that store!

9-15-15_cap-tool.jpg

Is the end where the prongs go into the handle sealed? The Morewine one has been sealed to keep must out and thus bad actors from getting up inside the handle and then next time you punch down you distribute said bad actors to each successive primary. Be careful if it is not sealed as stuff will get up in the handle and stay unless you clean the heck out of it each time you use it.

It is sealed as in welded. There are a few nooks and crannies with flux in them right now, so I have a tooth brush I soak in Kmeta or Starsan, which ever jug is closer, and brush it after every use.

I'm trying to figure out what I could seal it with, whether it be a plastic or wax, just don't want to introduce more problems. If it doesn't work out I spent less than 10 dollars and will donate it to the Church since we occasionally have meals for large groups. Then I can order a proper one from MoreWine.

Sounds exactly like the one I use and purchased from Morewine then. Great price for sure. I wouldn't sweat it too much, if you want seal any crack or crevice with some bees wax and that should do it. I just rinse mine off with water each time and wipe down with a paper towel. I am on my second one in about 5 crushes. I whacked the first one too hard too many times trying to get stuck grapes and skins off the first one and the end eventually broke off at the weld. So go easy when you try and remove anything stuck to the head. Again great price. I would go buy another just to have a backup at that price!

Well, I'm surely not going to buy the 60+ dollar one at my LHBS, that's more than a 6 gallon juice bucket!

Never thought of bees wax. I know some one who has a lot (he's a bee keeper).

Last edited:
Great Picture Kim, enjoy,
Mike

Oh we do! But there definitely is a reason you have your babies when you're young.I don't know who is more tiring, babygirl or pup.I think by next week hubby and I are going to need a few days of recouping lol

Back