Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pinot Noir arrived today from Washington. I love how they put the PVC pipe down the center so the cold air gets in the and let out any heat build up.

Tell me more, please. I'm having trouble picturing how this is packed. Are you guys selling these grapes, or making wine?

I'm looking for the pails

He won't get them in until later, near the completion date of the job. :D Also has to find a Sears Catalog to complete the project.

Seriously, Jim, ya gotta love those old houses. (Mine is a just a bit older.) What do you make of the spacing (~6") of those two older studs? I know there was a reason -- I just don't know what it would have been!

He won't get them in until later, near the completion date of the job. :D Also has to find a Sears Catalog to complete the project.

Seriously, Jim, ya gotta love those old houses. (Mine is a just a bit older.) What do you make of the spacing (~6") of those two older studs? I know there was a reason -- I just don't know what it would have been!

The entire old portion of the house was built of Oak. Studs are 2 feet on center. The two closely spaced are like that to accommodate 4-foot drywall sheets. One was sistered later, after initial framing. The house was added onto in 1963 and then added onto again in 1995. So half the house was built in 1933. This bath was done in the 1963-64 addition / remodeling. Much ugly stuff was simply covered over with circa 1963 paneling, only revealed when I demoed that. Those studs are not the worst of the jack-leg work done. It has been a real nightmare, now in month six including a 10-week delay getting the tub. Still a bit to do. The devil is in the prep work, and when you are prepping over jackleg stuff, a lot has to be done that a conventional-built house would not be a problem about. I found wiring twisted together with caps, unprotected, inside the walls, for example.

We are going back over all of it with 1/4" pine beadboard so that it can be period correct to other parts of the interior and be painted to suit anyone's taste for many years to come. The tub is a brand new Kohler design offering bubble massage, whirlpool jets and a heater.

More pix...

Me after pulling 250 feet of wire through the attic early one July morning...

^^^ Space at the bottom of the back wall here has no sill plate. It is wide open to the crawlspace. Studs are nailed to the joist band. That is no longer the case!

When you have a space wide open to the crawlspace, you get visitors and they build nests....

...and sometimes they don't make it, like Mr. Mouse on the left and his much older friend, Mr. RAT!

The entire room is sealed now. Very close to plumbing, final wiring and setting the tub. But they cut through a floor joist to set the pipe for the toilet, so first I have to get underneath and add 2 joists to support the new toilet location.

Let me add one more. I live in a community 25 miles north of Rocket City USA, Huntsville , Ala. - Dr. Wernher von Braun's headquarters where he oversaw the missions that put U.S. astronauts on the moon. So it was cool to uncover this...

This is window framing wood recycled from 1 x 12 pine board used to make crates for high-energy rockets used for weapons training on Redstone Arsenal, which also housed Dr. von Braun's early work. I'll recover it with beadboard for someone to find again in the future.

As a result of all the delays on this project, I have a brand new press and I am not going to be able to use it for the fall harvest this year, looks like. Oh well.

Last edited:
Much ugly stuff was simply covered over with circa 1963 paneling, only revealed when I demoed that.

Oh, lawdy, lawdy. That is quite the project.

I am very grateful that mine is relatively unmolested. Any bad stuff was due only to age and/or neglect -- no actual malice!

My new wine rack is coming along!
I just have to attach the back and then decide what to do about doors and I'll be ready to fill it.

Cool! I like it! Are those harlequin diamonds (60 degrees)? I used harlequins on my big closet. And I built my first (small) wine closet using 2x2's just like that. Nice work.

Cool! I like it! Are those harlequin diamonds (60 degrees)? I used harlequins on my big closet. And I built my first (small) wine closet using 2x2's just like that. Nice work.

Yes, they are 60 degrees!! Not only that, but I think your closet was the one I used for inspiration for my design! (Thank you very much!!) Yours went inside a standing closet, though, I had to make the structure before adding the 2x2's. I never expected how long it would take to sand all sides of those freaking poles. :) You also have to be REALLY exact on the angles at each end…very challenging with a Sawsall!
Nell

Finished the labels for my brother's wedding this weekend: Johnny Cash is his favourite artist, and both Salvadore Dali and Mario Bendetti are the bride's.

Edit: oops! Mods - please let me know if the first is not ok to post.

J&X Labels.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back